Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Modern KB player fronted bands

ProfD

We need a thread featuring bands fronted by KB players.

I found out about this band several months ago:

Twenty One Pilots website

They are a duo consisting of keys and drums. A sequencer fills out the music. The KB player also handles the sing/rap duties.

They performed here in the DC area last night. I didn't attend their show. But, the gig report I received was that the club was sold out.

The venue holds about 1k people. The average ticket price was $45 per person. That's a nice gig pay day especially for a duo. :thu:

Anyway, they are an example of a KB player fronted band playing original tunes and having an audience.

It starts with being MOM (musically open minded) and finding the right niche. :cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Billy Joel

Elton John

Steely Dan

Howard Jones

Tori Amos

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

We need a thread featuring bands fronted by KB players.

Does Snarky Puppy count? Corey Henry likely might be the best known person in the band. BTW, D', I'm buying you a beer tomorrow night if you make the show at "The Fillmore". :cheers:

:nopity:

Billy Joel

Elton John

Steely Dan

Howard Jones

Tori Amos

Coldplay

Jackson Browne (played a lot of piano)

Bruce Hornsby

Carole King

Muse (Mathew Bellamy plays keyboards & guitar as well as lead vocals)

Allman Brothers

Never heard of them.

Seriously, I think this thread would be much more interesting if it focused on KB player fronted bands that not everyone knows about already. Otherwise, this thread will be just a bunch of lists. Considering all the complaints about the lack of good new music, here's an opportunity to discover some. :idea:

Seriously, I think this thread would be much more interesting if it focused on KB player fronted bands that not everyone knows about already. Otherwise, this thread will be just a bunch of lists. Considering all the complaints about the lack of good new music, here's an opportunity to discover some. :idea:

Exactly. I should have made that more clear. :thu:

Therefore, Attica doesn't count either. :laugh:

While I think it is great for Corey Henry that Snarky Puppy allows him to shine, he's not fronting the band.

Robert Glasper Experiment

The Bad Plus

These are examples of modern bands fronted by a KB player. :cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

Coldplay

Jackson Browne (played a lot of piano)

Bruce Hornsby

Carole King

Muse (Mathew Bellamy plays keyboards & guitar as well as lead vocals)

Allman Brothers

Coldplay isn't fronted by a keyboard player.

Alicia Keys is, its right there in her name.

The baiting I do is purely for entertainment value. Please feel free to ignore it.

How about a modern band fronted by A KEYBOARDIST WHO DOESN'T SING? I bet you can't find one.

(This is why ELP is completely unique in the rock pantheon). :idea:

I know there were some KB fronted bands in the 70s like Egg, Attila, Triumvirat, etc... but those were mostly bands inspired by ELP, and they are also not modern.

Kurzweil PC3, Yamaha MOX8, Alesis Ion, Kawai K3M

How about a modern band fronted by A KEYBOARDIST WHO DOESN'T SING? I bet you can't find one.

I can think of many. Perhaps Craig Taborn, Jason Moran, Vijay Iyer, etc. are not "modern" enough for you? :idea:

I would define "modern" as a group of musicians from their late teens to mid-30s, who haven't been around for decades, and have what could reasonably be considered "a modern sound". I know that's tough to define, being that we essentially live in a "repertoire" kind of musical culture, repeating musical formulas from the 60s, 70s, 80s, 90s.

Most "modern" music comes down to putting a twist on a formula from the past.

But, with a certain amount of imagination and creativity it is possible to mix elements from different genres/styles of music to come up with something "fresh" that works in the present.

Twenty One Pilots sounds like a mash-up of Coldplay and Hip-Hop.

Robert Glasper is a Jazz pianist using his Hip-Hop, R&B and Gospel roots to put a different spin on his music.

Regardless of how it sounds and/or whether or not it is one's personal cup of tea, I applaud these KB players for trying to do something different even if it sounds familiar. :cool:

PD

The prog rock ship sailed a long time ago. (Well, it sails every time there's a prog rock cruise, but I digress.) If you were to poll young people about ELP, I think their reaction would be WTF or LOL.

That is exactly my reaction whenever I look at the cover of "Love Beach". :freak:

There are lots of other musical styles that have happened since then, that IMHO have also sailed a long time ago. Some of us just choose to hold onto what we think is valid, and call that modern.

Crappy photo but here is Bernie Worrell Orchestra fronted by Bernie at a small local festival here last Saturday. On his right is Little Phatty over SK2, on his left is some type of small Kawai synth over a Clav. Great music!

http://www.divshare.com/img/midsize/26177674-7ef.JPG

Who sings seems irrelevant to me. Gahan is not a keyboard player but there is no doubt that in DM keyboards rule in that band.

I just know it when I hear it.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

(This is why ELP is completely unique in the rock pantheon). :idea:

I know there were some KB fronted bands in the 70s like Egg, Attila, Triumvirat, etc... but those were mostly bands inspired by ELP, and they are also not modern.

Were you offering cash? :) , one of my fave bands that's fronted by the keyboardist (he owns the band and calls the shots) and doesn't sing a peep - NightWish >

Another of my faves where this Awesome band is fronted by keyboardist who sings like a Nightingale - MUSE > http://youtu.be/5PN6egPgazA?list=FLJCfDTUxPdzucMjGuisnWzg

Brett

Archived