Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

what is your method?

Rockitman

All of the above and then understand that in lots of cases, it's which version are you trying to learn? Lots of classic songs were recorded one way on the original album but then they changed it for their concerts.

Unless the audience is familiar with the original band's concert version, it can come across like the cover band doesn't know how to play it correctly. Most casual fans are only familiar with the version they hear on the radio and anything else sounds "wrong".

But then there's the problem of copying the radio DJ's parts convincingly - where you talk over the instrumental intros : "SUNDAY! FUNNY CARS! AWESOME! BE THERE!!!". I always have trouble getting the reverb and echo just right.

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.

-Mark Twain

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

OP:

You aren't going to find written music for that. Instead you should get a mentor for two or three lessons, someone who already knows how to play that style. They can show you what to do: it will make a lot more sense once someone shows you.

Having recently turned from a sheet reading classical piano player into a keyboard/synth player in a rock cover band, I am experiencing much frustration in learning keyboard parts to various songs. My first step is to scour the internet for any kind of sheets that might be out there

I'm sorry, but the truth is you can't rock if you're reading. Rock and Classical are two different art forms. You've mastered one. To master the other you will have to develop the necessary skill set, which is learning to play the music you hear in your head without having to write it down. I highly doubt any of the records you are trying to copy were made with pre-arranged sheet music.

As everyone above says, the more you do it the easier it gets.

1. Find a version of the song on Youtube or similar.

2. Headphones on

3. Comp along with the tune until you don't suck

4. Figure out your signature parts: fills, riffs, runs, etc.

5. Play through a few times where you're "out front"

6. Be prepared to adjust what you're playing when you rehearse with the band.

7. Repeat consistently over a few weeks, and it'll become muscle memory.

Sometimes I get stuck on a chord or two, there's always the internet for that. It's a rare song that can't be cracked using this process.

Want to make your band better?  Check out "A Guide To Starting (Or Improving!) Your Own Local Band"

Listen dozens or hundreds of times.

Play along with the recording dozens or hundreds of times.

After doing this with enough songs, you'll start to recognize familiar patterns that show up across the spectrum of pop and rock songs. It will get easier, and you'll get quicker at it the more you shed.

Also, the iLift app for iPad and iPhone might be worth checking out. One of the keys players on the Phantom of the Opera US tour showed it to me today while I was visiting the pit here in Boston.

Looked like it would a very helpful tool for exactly what you'll be doing.

[video:youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Y_JctRK8EI

I agree with all of the previous comments about spending a lot of time listening to and playing along with rock/ pop songs and learning to recognize the basic patterns that are used with variations in most of them.

I would add that it might help to throw yourself into the fire and hit some blues and rock jams where there may be seasoned players who can help you work on recognizing and implementing the patterns on the fly in songs you've never played or perhaps even heard before. I would also add that it might be useful to go back and learn some basic blues patterns which helped to spawn much of today's rock / pop music.

Gigs: Nord 5D 73, Kurz PC4-7 & SP4-7, Hammond SK1, Yamaha CK88, MX88, & P121, Numa Compact 2x, Casio CGP700, QSC K12, Yamaha DBR10, JBL515xt(2). Alto TS310(2)

...I'm sorry, but the truth is you can't rock if you're reading...

I don't normally like "true-isms" when they're applied to music, but that is a good one.

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.

-Mark Twain

Try picking out or creating the sounds (on your synth(s)) before learning the song itself. I find it a lot easier to hear the keyboard parts when I am matching the tones too.

As a bonus, by the time you finish the process of programming the matching sounds, you'll practically learn the song at the same time.

I always try to learn the song on the instruments I will be using to play it live.

Also, it can be handy to talk to your guitarist and see what he/she is playing. They may already have some answers for you that can help you separate the notes or sounds.

I agree with the use of Audacity or some other software to slow down stuff so you can hear it at a more relaxed pace. Sometimes that helps a lot. Beware of all the crap on YouTube and tab sites. Some of it is just god-awful wrong.

Remember too, many keyboard parts are primarily there to add color and body to the guitar parts. The keys parts may not be that different from the guitar chords you're trying to weed through. Program your sounds to blend, enhance and be complimentary to the guitar parts.

Like everyone else said, the more you listen to a song, the more obvious it will be as to what you should be playing. The more songs you learn in this fashion, the easier it will be.

Richard

Korg Triton Extreme, Roland VR-760, Roland D-50, A&H ZED 12-FX, QSC K12s

Archived