Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Got some bad news this mornin'

Fred_C

Hey Gents,

I was laid off from my job this morning, just two weeks to the day before my 65th birthday. The company was nice enough to give me 3 months severance and I'm eligible for unemployment. I'll find something to do even if it's flipping burgers or something like that. I'll be fine, but I must admit to feeling a little blue.

If you play cool, you are cool.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It's a real Blue Monday and I feel for you Brother Fred...Milk that unemployment for as long as possible before flipping those burgers...Start a jazz combo called Under The Table...at the end of the unemployment go on Social Security...I know you can overcome...what kind of work were you doing, and are there any jobs in your skill set close by? Any in an adjacent area? Don't worry about responding to any of these ideas as I know you will make ends meet. Keep active but don't forget to relax a little, even if it's just going fishing or playing some jazz...or better yet, start giving some guitar lessons and start your own business! We're here for ya brudder! Bro Lar... :cool:
Take care, Larryz

Hey Reif,

Thanks. I've only been with the company for six years so the pension thing is not the issue. The company sells case management software to government and sales have been terrible due to the fact that cities, counties and states have not had any budget. They simply don't have any money. Their ongoing existence is in serious doubt.

BTW: I regret not marking this post as "OT", but I was understandably preoccupied at the time.

If you play cool, you are cool.

Opportunities often come disguised as "bad news".

Have faith, stay positive and you'll probably look back at this in a short while and be thankful it happened. Everything works for the good if we choose to see it that way.

Good Luck Fred - I'm rootin for ya! :thu:

SEHpicker

The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." George Orwell

Sorry to hear it happened. But it sounds like you have the right attitude. Larryz has some good ideas in his post.like he says. Do

And, I don't know if it's an issue for you, but you paid for your Social Security check, it's a right not an entitlement regardless of what some folks might say. You don't need to be ashamed of taking it, and whatever else you can get.

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.

Hey Gents,

I was laid off from my job this morning, just two weeks to the day before my 65th birthday. The company was nice enough to give me 3 months severance and I'm eligible for unemployment. I'll find something to do even if it's flipping burgers or something like that. I'll be fine, but I must admit to feeling a little blue.

The same thing happened to me. Two weeks before XMAS the boss calls us in to tell us that our health insurance will be canceled and he was cutting our pay. Merry Christmas. In January I was laid off. I started collecting unemployment. I applied for several positions that I was qualified or over qualified for and received no replies. There aren't too many people out there looking for 64 year old auto technicians.

3 weeks after I was laid off, my wife got a blood clot and my 90 mother got sick as well. I was literally going back a forth to the doctor every day for a 2 month stretch. If I had been working, I would not have been able to go to work and I would have had no income. At least I had my unemployment checks, so for me, I guess it was a good thing I was laid off. I never did find a job so I retired. I didn't want to, but what the hell.

Good luck Bud. I hope everything works out.

Les Paul Studio Deluxe, '74 Guild S100, '64 Strat, JCM 900 Combo, Peavey Classic 30 1x12, Peavey Classic 30 Head, CBG

Archived