Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Heads-up: SpaceStation keyboard amp is apparently back

Aspen, I've been pretty distracted but after I get my big concert this week out of the way, I want to keep searching for a national Mexican dealer for you. I'm higher visibility as a player than ever right now, and the amp gets a ton of interest from my Mexican keyboard buddies.

Doug Robinson

www.dougrobinson.com

FYI, we are currently "under consideration" at Long and McQuade in Canada, so I am hopeful we can start to supply Canada locally (call your store managers there!!).

Aspen, the manager from the North Vancouver store heard mine when we did a gig together a few months ago. I'll certainly let him know you're talking to head office. Maybe one of their own voices chiming in will help Toronto "consider."

That is so awesome of you Drawback THANKS! When/If I ever make CPS T-Shirts I'll send you one!

L&M is an old established dealer with a great rental system as part of their business model. So musicians could rent and demo the SS3...and as you all know, hearing our CPS technology on a gig or rehearsal is MUCH better than watching my stereo recorded videos...which can not capture the 3D effect.

So I think they would be my #1 choice for a dealer partner in Canada.

Hammond A100 w/ 2x Leslie 122, Leslie 145 w/ combo pedal, Casio P5S, SS3, Groove Tubes SFX G5 cab + CPS/QSC RM4500 KB amp, 1955 Steinway 48" studio upright.

Getting very close in pulling the trigger. I was surprised to find out that the price had increased by $20 since the last time I was on Sweetwater's site. Not a barrier to buying, but should have ordered a few weeks ago.

Bill

Hey Bill, thanks for bring this issue up, it has been a point of confusion for a while.

I know it seems like we had a $20 increase...but actually the SS3 package price w/ cover has gone DOWN $20, about 5 months ago actually...but just recently reflected on the SW website.

Previously the SS3 was $749 MAP, and the the nylon cover was sold separately for $49 MSRP, $39 Map. Since most guys ordered it w/ the amp or soon thereafter...it was complicate to keep track and make sure we had enough to go around; we were always running out of covers!

So I think I announced a change of plans about the cover back in season 5, maybe in June sometime; I made the decision to include the $39 cover in every SS3 box, and raise the package price by $20 to cover my costs.

This decision really simplified life for SW, A&A and offered a $20 savings for most our end users.

But unfortunately Sweetwater had not updated their webpage to show this new "package deal" in a timely manner (hey, they are real busy over there). So until very recently the website still showed the SS3 price at $749 + $39 for the cover.

Of course they still kept taking orders for the $39 cover with most SS3 sales, but when the user opened the box and saw they already HAD a cover, then they had to get a return authorization order and ship the extra cover back...a time consuming and expensive drama for everybody.

But now I think the marketing guys have caught up with the purchasing guys...and we both (A&A website and SW website) should be showing the SS3 + cover price at $769, and no longer $749 w/o cover.

In fact since July, you would not have been able to buy a SS3 without a cover included in the box!

Sorry for the confusion, sometimes it takes a while for a good idea to be implemented, even with the best of intentions!

Hammond A100 w/ 2x Leslie 122, Leslie 145 w/ combo pedal, Casio P5S, SS3, Groove Tubes SFX G5 cab + CPS/QSC RM4500 KB amp, 1955 Steinway 48" studio upright.

Aspen, I've been pretty distracted but after I get my big concert this week out of the way, I want to keep searching for a national Mexican dealer for you. I'm higher visibility as a player than ever right now, and the amp gets a ton of interest from my Mexican keyboard buddies.

Thank you SOOO much Doug...you have been a great asset for spreading the word about CPS down there. I hope to hook up w/ a Mexican Dealer partner at NAMM, I inadvertently forgot to put them on my target list on my last post...but certainly Mexican musicians are as big, or bigger, of a target market for CPS than Canada or the land of OZ!

And congrats on your continued success...so well deserved...your videos you post are just awesome! I hope SS3 has played some small part in all that fame and fortune for you!

Please make some time to come see APR studios and shop next time you come home for a visit...maybe for the holidays? Or Namm?

Aspen,

Thank you for your quick and informative response. The decision to include the cover and increase the cost nominally seems wise. I still think that Sweetwarer's marketing have yet to fix this on their website. The page for the SS3 does reflect the $769 price, but no mention of the now included cover is made. They do show the cover as being available separately for $39. I sent an email to Sweeywater regarding this, but have not heard back yet.

Thanks again for your presence on this forum and your attention to customer concerns.

Bill

Getting very close in pulling the trigger. I was surprised to find out that the price had increased by $20 since the last time I was on Sweetwater's site. Not a barrier to buying, but should have ordered a few weeks ago.

Bill

Hey Bill, thanks for bring this issue up, it has been a point of confusion for a while.

I know it seems like we had a $20 increase...but actually the SS3 package price w/ cover has gone DOWN $20, about 5 months ago actually...but just recently reflected on the SW website.

Previously the SS3 was $749 MAP, and the the nylon cover was sold separately for $49 MSRP, $39 Map. Since most guys ordered it w/ the amp or soon thereafter...it was complicate to keep track and make sure we had enough to go around; we were always running out of covers!

So I think I announced a change of plans about the cover back in season 5, maybe in June sometime; I made the decision to include the $39 cover in every SS3 box, and raise the package price by $20 to cover my costs.

This decision really simplified life for SW, A&A and offered a $20 savings for most our end users.

But unfortunately Sweetwater had not updated their webpage to show this new "package deal" in a timely manner (hey, they are real busy over there). So until very recently the website still showed the SS3 price at $749 + $39 for the cover.

Of course they still kept taking orders for the $39 cover with most SS3 sales, but when the user opened the box and saw they already HAD a cover, then they had to get a return authorization order and ship the extra cover back...a time consuming and expensive drama for everybody.

But now I think the marketing guys have caught up with the purchasing guys...and we both (A&A website and SW website) should be showing the SS3 + cover price at $769, and no longer $749 w/o cover.

In fact since July, you would not have been able to buy a SS3 without a cover included in the box!

Sorry for the confusion, sometimes it takes a while for a good idea to be implemented, even with the best of intentions!

Nord Stage 3 Compact, Korg Kronos 61, Casio PX-5S, Yamaha DXR 10 (2)), Neo Vent, Yamaha MG82cx mixer and too many stands to name.

Thanks for the kind words, aspen. I've honestly never been so inspired to play live as I am now, with my setup of the SK1, the PX5s and the SS3. I'm having a blast. Let me know if you make a Mexican connection at NAMM--I'm getting married at the end of feb and can't swing a trip this time, but I'll get out there at some point in 2016 for sure!

Doug Robinson

www.dougrobinson.com

Well we just got this upgrade kit going recently so I guess we've sold maybe 5 total MK2 upgrade kits so far. I think they have all been the full C kit w/ 3 main drivers replaced and the 2 L-pads....everyone seemed very happy.

I had no idea so few MKII's were made. Too bad amps aren't like guitars. This is a short run product and with serial numbers. Ha ha

Korg Oasys, Kurzweil K2000, General Music sk76, Kurzweil PC3x, Kurzweil PC3k7, Yamaha MOX6

FYI, we are currently "under consideration" at Long and McQuade in Canada, so I am hopeful we can start to supply Canada locally (call your store managers there!!).

Aspen, the manager from the North Vancouver store heard mine when we did a gig together a few months ago. I'll certainly let him know you're talking to head office. Maybe one of their own voices chiming in will help Toronto "consider."

That is so awesome of you Drawback THANKS! When/If I ever make CPS T-Shirts I'll send you one!

L&M is an old established dealer with a great rental system as part of their business model. So musicians could rent and demo the SS3...and as you all know, hearing our CPS technology on a gig or rehearsal is MUCH better than watching my stereo recorded videos...which can not capture the 3D effect.

So I think they would be my #1 choice for a dealer partner in Canada.

I live about 5 blocks away from Long and McQuade in downtown Toronto and have bought a lot of gear from them over the years. If you have a specific contact there who would like to hear mine in my home studio, he'd be welcome to compare my space station v3 with my other amps.

To your question of "how many" MK2 amps, I am really not sure. Unfortunately, all my production journals went to Fender when I sold GT back in '08. I recall we did 2 or 3 runs of 100 amps, then one last run up to 200. So, maybe 500 tops.

Aspen, for my MKII what part of serial number says what unit I have. The last six digits are 347003.

Korg Oasys, Kurzweil K2000, General Music sk76, Kurzweil PC3x, Kurzweil PC3k7, Yamaha MOX6

I've been thinking about this for the past few months and I just ordered one from Sweetwater, who told me it does come with a cover. I currently use 2 Alto TS110a monitors but I'm always worried about others hearing too much/little of me and myself being the only one in the sweet spot.

I have a bar gig with a rock band on Friday where I'll test it out and report back. I'll be using my Kronos with no mixer or sub (bassist covers the low end). I expect organ to sound great but I'm worried about "plain" (no fx) Rhodes and other mono sounds. If I don't like it I'll eat the return shipping.

I've been trying to find anyone who uses this with a Kronos but I'm having trouble searching this thread... currently slogging through the whole thing.

Andrew: quick search yields the following from January 30:

Thanks for the info on the case, B.J.

Lingering cord question, sorry if it's basic: Is it best to use a TRS or a TR 1/4 connector between these connectors, or doesn't it matter?

Thanks.

Gman, a very wise old audio guru (Harvey Rubens) once told me "the world is made up of basically two things. Matter, and doesn't Matter". This is a case of doesn't matter.

Hope this helps.

Here for the gear.

I have a Kronos, and electric pianos are my favorite through the SS. Just dial in some chorus or phaser and add a little reverb...sounds great. Without a little stereo effect, you lose a lot of magic!

KronosX, ssv3, Vpiano, fulcrum fa22ac, Rupert neve line mixer, tons of weird guitars, axe-fx ultra, a couple of nice tube amps (Elmwood and Carr)

Eventide Harmonizer

Also can anyone tell me if the inputs are balanced (TRS)? One person on the first page of this thread lamented that they weren't, but the Keyboard review says they are. I can't find anything on the CPS site or Sweetwater.

Aspen has mentioned it many times in this thread. They are TS. He says TRS is not better for the short lengths that are used from a keyboard to the amp or keyboard to mixer --- mixer to amp setup. I would have to agree. Balanced signals are only necessary for long lengths. If you have good shielded cables, TS is all any keyboard player really needs.

Lots of gig reports detailing how well the SS works with a loud band/loud guitarist - here's one from a different perspective.

Our local public library hosts an informal concert series. This time around it was a rather excellent local choral group - 16 voices. I was asked to provide a piano for the event. I showed up with my new CP4 and the SS. I knew it would be tight quarters, and sure enough there was barely room to squeeze 16 people and a keyboard in the corner "stage" area. No room for a speaker on a pole, let alone two to run stereo.

The SS went on the floor in the corner, with the CP4 off to the side about ten feet away. The choir stood in front of the SS.

Bliss! Nice stereo effect from the SS reflecting off the bookcase walls, and plenty of bass from the corner placement. I ran directly from the CP4 using two 20 foot cables (as above, no need for balanced signals even using the 20 footers). The five band eq on the CP4 is great for this - no mixer necessary for eq!

Out in the house it sounded wonderful - very three dimensional, like a real piano.

Truly a one box solution - simple setup, tiny stage footprint, and great sound. And gets plenty loud when needed as well.

Andrew: quick search yields the following from January 30:

Thanks for the info on the case, B.J.

Lingering cord question, sorry if it's basic: Is it best to use a TRS or a TR 1/4 connector between these connectors, or doesn't it matter?

Thanks.

Gman, a very wise old audio guru (Harvey Rubens) once told me "the world is made up of basically two things. Matter, and doesn't Matter". This is a case of doesn't matter.

Hope this helps.

Thanks. Is it possible to search this specific thread or did you just search the forum?

Is it possible to search this specific thread or did you just search the forum?

Aspen posted re: TRS very early in the discussion and the thread's only been around for 18 months, so once you plug those in it's pretty easy to find.

Here for the gear.

Lots of gig reports detailing how well the SS works with a loud band/loud guitarist - here's one from a different perspective.

Our local public library hosts an informal concert series. This time around it was a rather excellent local choral group - 16 voices. I was asked to provide a piano for the event. I showed up with my new CP4 and the SS. I knew it would be tight quarters, and sure enough there was barely room to squeeze 16 people and a keyboard in the corner "stage" area. No room for a speaker on a pole, let alone two to run stereo.

The SS went on the floor in the corner, with the CP4 off to the side about ten feet away. The choir stood in front of the SS.

Bliss! Nice stereo effect from the SS reflecting off the bookcase walls, and plenty of bass from the corner placement. I ran directly from the CP4 using two 20 foot cables (as above, no need for balanced signals even using the 20 footers). The five band eq on the CP4 is great for this - no mixer necessary for eq!

Out in the house it sounded wonderful - very three dimensional, like a real piano.

Truly a one box solution - simple setup, tiny stage footprint, and great sound. And gets plenty loud when needed as well.

Yeah, I get major interest from the other musos who see us. They're in the audience, and they come up during break, and ask "what the hell is that?" or similar. No way they can believe I'm getting the stage sound I'm getting. My response? New tech, check it out!

Want to make your band better?  Check out "A Guide To Starting (Or Improving!) Your Own Local Band"

Another success story! Last night I played the best concert in a very long time, a benefit in a 400 seat theater here in central Mexico, with Don Grusin on piano and keyboard and singer Iraida Noriega who is a wonderful Bobby McFerrin-like talent. I played acoustic piano, plus my CasioPX5s through my SS3.

First of all, artistically it was amazing in my opinion, the rapport and chemistry between us. Really beautiful stuff, fun and funky and swinging. Second of all, we raised a ton of money for a really good cause. And third of all, even though we had a big sound system to which I sent a line out and a mildly-talented sound guy for a change, we ended up taking my keys out of the monitor mix altogether because Don could hear my keys so clearly onstage. As per usual, I put the minimum of my keys into the P.A. The sound was excellent. Video to follow but I'm feeling great right now.

Doug Robinson

www.dougrobinson.com

Sorry to but in, but any suggestions for the best way to stereo mic a SpaceStation using dynamic miss ( any mic suggestions would also be appreciated).

I'm recording tomorrow night in an actual studio. The engineer/producer wants to only use dynamic mics, for an old-school vibe.

Unfortunately, I'm not sure what would be the best way to mic the Space Station using dynamics.

A mid-side mic placement might be the best way to go, but not sure that's going to happen. Maybe I could use one ribbon as the L-R, and a dynamic for the Mid.

Anyway, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

I seem to remember Aspen saying he used X-Y miking when he made all those SSv3 videos on his web site. He got a good sound, but not all the richness of the stereo effect unfortunately.

Maybe you can find a clue in Season 1, Chapter 23.

Want to make your band better?  Check out "A Guide To Starting (Or Improving!) Your Own Local Band"

Sorry to but in, but any suggestions for the best way to stereo mic a SpaceStation using dynamic miss ( any mic suggestions would also be appreciated).

I'm recording tomorrow night in an actual studio. The engineer/producer wants to only use dynamic mics, for an old-school vibe.

Unfortunately, I'm not sure what would be the best way to mic the Space Station using dynamics.

A mid-side mic placement might be the best way to go, but not sure that's going to happen. Maybe I could use one ribbon as the L-R, and a dynamic for the Mid.

Anyway, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

SS doesn't produce stereo L/R outputs so the engineer should probably understand thats not at all what he'll get. one channel will be the sum, and the other will be the subtraction/difference. I'm not a recording guy but I wouldn't think thats what you'd want for a recording.

you probably want two independent speakers wired in stereo (such as powered PA speakers), and mic each one.

The baiting I do is purely for entertainment value. Please feel free to ignore it.

Thanks for the tips guys, I'll see if I can try any of them out - we don't start actually recording until 6 pm tonight, so if anyone else has any suggestions, I appreciate it.

Basically, it will be tracked live in one room (bass, two guitars, drums, keys), using dynamic mics. Old school ska/early reggae type sound. Horns might be in the same room too.

Keys will be either hammond, acoustic piano or Farfisa sounds using my Roland VR09/RD64, or the Hammond M3 in the room.

Really nice facility, good size live room with 15 foot ceilings, great vibe. Looking forward to it. Just not shure how best to capture the great 3D sound of the SS3 in that type of setting, without getting too much bleed from everyone else (hence am a bit hesistant to move the mics back too far, although I agree that would be a great way to capture the sound).

Micing up two separate speakers/amps in stereo, like MotiDave suggests, may be the best way to go after all, given the constraints.