Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Just scored a MOXF6

Bif_

Pulled the trigger on this today. Been thinking about it for a while as I wanted a super-light keyboard. Also been very interested in access to the XF soundset, performances, etc.

I figured there might be a deal to be had with MF or GC because of the Memorial Day holiday. Purchased through MF and they did not disappoint.

I considered looking at a product from another brand but feature for feature I could not find anything I like that approached the price. I prefer most of the Yamaha acoustic sounds over others and understand the sequencer, work flow, etc, so I went MOXF.

I considered a used Kronos but that was another price tier and weight.

Can't wait to get it.

Greg

Kurzweil Forte, Yamaha Motif ES7, Muse Receptor 2 Pro Max, Neo Ventilator

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I have not played the MOXF6, only played the 8. But I have played the MX61. Yamaha is installing the best actions on the lower priced lightweight keyboards. Smokes Roland and Korg.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

gonna have to disagree on the action.

The action on the MOX8 didn't feel nearly as comfy or playable as the FA08. It definitely was better than the Krome though.

Hitting "Play" does NOT constitute live performance. -Me.

gonna have to disagree on the action.

The action on the MOX8 didn't feel nearly as comfy or playable as the FA08. It definitely was better than the Krome though.

I mean the 61 key unweighted stuff.

My hands and my heart wanted the MOXF8, but my back and wallet wanted the MOXF6. I played around with the MOXF6 and it didn't turn me off the way the Krome, Kross and FA unweighted actions did.

Back and wallet won. Plus, I have the Kurz if I want to enjoy those sounds on a weighted action at home.

I can't quite believe I'll have this sonic capability in a 15 pound package. CRAZY!

Congratulations, enjoy!

Don't know if you got either the 512MB or 1024MB modules, but they are definitely worth the extra $$$

SSM

I think I'll be getting the 512 MB board. Will have to wait and see if that's worth it considering I have a Receptor to indulge uber-large sample sets.

Congratulations, enjoy!

Don't know if you got either the 512MB or 1024MB modules, but they are definitely worth the extra $$$

SSM

I think I'll be getting the 512 MB board. Will have to wait and see if that's worth it considering I have a Receptor to indulge uber-large sample sets.

Check out what you are going to use it for before you buy. One sound set package I looked at was over 900MB!!! I didn't get it, but at least I would have had room with the 1024 board if I had wanted to.

Also, if you're gigging, the bigger module might just save you schlepping the receptor. Good luck, whichever you go for.

SSM

SSM

Occasionally, do something nice for a total stranger. They'll wonder what the hell is going on!

Go big with the memory. It's worth it.

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

With flash ram and 128 note polyphony it is getting harder to distinguish what differentiates the Motif XF6 from the MoxF6. Seems quite a bargain in comparison.

Since Yamaha's latest crop of slab pianos are 256 note polyphony that could mean that their next Motif successor will have that too.

"It is a danger to create something and risk rejection. It is a greater danger to create nothing and allow mediocrity to rule."

"You owe it to us all to get on with what you're good at." W.H. Auden

Differentiations include sampling and a way better build.

• 2 weeks later...

MOXF6 arrived Monday. Nice!

I can't believe the light weight. I was surprised to see the long opening in the bottom of the keyboard. Thought it was missing a cover at first.

I totally enjoy the new wave ROM. Lot's of great new content. The piano's and EP's benefit from new ROM and new effects. Many more guitars as well as enhanced guitar effects= more realism. Also lot's of new drum/percussion content that sounds pretty fresh to me.

I hear improvements to the orchestral/string sounds (but they still don't touch the Kurz).

Sadly the organ stuff isn't much different than on my Motif ES, maybe some improvements due to effects.

The performances are fun to play with and should be the launchpad for new ways to use the instrument. Having four simultaneous arps is quite cool and fun.

I have no issues with the build quality of the action. Yes, it's light, but doesn't feel cheap. It does not exhibit the issues I've seen on some low-end boards where the black keys don't depress as easily as the white keys (seems to be related to the pivot point of the black keys).

This thing will be a blast to gig with. It will be nice to have such a broad sonic palette in such a transportable form factor.

This thing is awesome.

Greg

I'd be surprised if you didn't enjoy your MOXF6 - it is a great sounding instrument.

FYI, it is so lightweight that I have had to use velcro to keep my MOX6 in place on my stand. :)

Michael

Montage 8, Logic Pro X, Omnisphere, Diva, Zebra 2, etc.

I can't believe the light weight. I was surprised to see the long opening in the bottom of the keyboard. Thought it was missing a cover at first.

I totally enjoy the new wave ROM. Lot's of great new content. The piano's and EP's benefit from new ROM and new effects. Many more guitars as well as enhanced guitar effects= more realism. Also lot's of new drum/percussion content that sounds pretty fresh to me.

I hear improvements to the orchestral/string sounds (but they still don't touch the Kurz).

Sadly the organ stuff isn't much different than on my Motif ES, maybe some improvements due to effects.

The performances are fun to play with and should be the launchpad for new ways to use the instrument. Having four simultaneous arps is quite cool and fun.

I have no issues with the build quality of the action. Yes, it's light, but doesn't feel cheap. It does not exhibit the issues I've seen on some low-end boards where the black keys don't depress as easily as the white keys (seems to be related to the pivot point of the black keys).

This thing will be a blast to gig with. It will be nice to have such a broad sonic palette in such a transportable form factor.

This thing is awesome.

Greg

+1

Great review. I just got mine last week. Much to learn, much to enjoy. Fun.

This thing is awesome.

Greg

Congrats. I've had mine for 7 months now and still love it. If you haul your own equipment, you may want to consider getting the Yamaha soft carry bag...has backpack straps and really makes it a breeze to carry this thing around. (Obviously if someone else hauls it you won't want to trust them with a soft bag.)

I find the keyboard action acceptable. Much better than a lot of cheap controllers out there but not as good as most high-end keyboards (e.g. Motif XF, Prophet 08, etc).

Yamaha CK88, Arturia Keylab 61 MkII, Moog Sub 37, Yamaha U1 Upright, Casio CT-S500, Mac Logic/Mainstage, iPad Camelot, Spacestation V.3, QSC K10.2, JBL EON One Compact

www.stickmanor.com

There's a thin white line between fear and fury - Stickman

Much to learn, much to enjoy. Fun.

Botanicus,

Make sure you're registered at www.motifator.com.

It's a great resource with lots of knowledgeable and helpful users. Also Phil Clendenin (BadMister) is a regular there. He's a Yamaha employee that has deep knowledge of the Motif series. If it can be done, he can show you how. (And he has the patience of Job.)

Heck, I might even be able to help you!

Greg

If you haul your own equipment, you may want to consider getting the Yamaha soft carry bag...has backpack straps and really makes it a breeze to carry this thing around.

I bought one of these and they're great. I add an extra layer of protection by simply laying a folded towel over the top of the MOX before zipping it shut. I don't play out much, and always move my own keyboards, so this works just fine.

Michael

you may want to consider getting the Yamaha soft carry bag...

I splurged on a Road Runner RK4214 ($40). Yes, it's a cheap bag but offers ample protection for the way I'll be using it.

It did not get rave reviews for workmanship (poor stitching) but mine seems OK.

I did purchase the Yamaha roller bag for my Motif ES. My first one lasted about 5 or 6 years. I was hauling that board every weekend. The handle stitching finally failed on it. No good without a handle. I replaced it with another of the same case. The zipper pulls have broken off. (that board is a tight fit in that bag). I rigged key ring holders on the zipper to act as a pull. My current bag also ripped near the wheels but I was able to glue back together using a liberal amount of "Goop" (very good and available at Wal-Mart).

Since I own the MOXF6 I expect the ES will be staying at home.

Greg

Since I own the MOXF6 I expect the ES will be staying at home.

It is such a pleasant change of pace to be moving around lightweight instruments such as the MOX6 and Jupiter-50. I have about five steps to get from my driveway up to my front door, and another 15 steps to the upstairs of my house where my keyboard stuff lives.

I no longer dread getting home and having to bring my keys in and upstairs by myself any more. So easy. :)

Michael

Much to learn, much to enjoy. Fun.

Botanicus,

Make sure you're registered at www.motifator.com.

It's a great resource with lots of knowledgeable and helpful users. Also Phil Clendenin (BadMister) is a regular there. He's a Yamaha employee that has deep knowledge of the Motif series. If it can be done, he can show you how. (And he has the patience of Job.)

Heck, I might even be able to help you!

Greg

Thanks for the suggestions. I am aware of Motifator.com as I discovered it during my research for the MOXFs and followed several threads as I was weighing the pros and cons and trying to decide between the 88 and 61 versions. Phil's great YouTube demos were also persuasive in my wanting to grab one.

I'm fairly familiar with 'the Yamaha way' as I've owned an S80 for many years, but that doesn't necessarily make things transparently easy. :-) I do appreciate the several shortcuts and ergonomic changes in these MOXF models.

Here's my first headscratch, though..... The guitar 'Jazz Blues' preset 36 in bank 9 has by default the arpeggiator enabled. Yet no arpeggios sound when playing, no sustain until you turn off the arp. When you hit arp edit, it looks like there are Part Mute buttons illuminated but you can't toggle them off. I didn't know if that was meant to be or not so I restored the factory settings, but it didn't change anything. The arps loaded are guitar arps, so they should be doing something. The arpeggiator functions as expected in the other guitar presets in the same bank.

Also, curious if there are any firmware updates etc. I looked at the website, found all the manuals etc. but it didn't look as though there were any software updates for the MOXF.

One other thing I'm trying to figure out is how to trigger the arps and drum patterns when slaved to DP, Local off. Another topic I guess.

Great sounds on board, a nice complement to my Kronos.

I think the latest firmware is 1.03.

Found it! Thanks... I had found the manuals online before but missed the software section until now. Maybe this will solve some of the arpeggiation issues I encountered.

Here's my first headscratch, though..... The guitar 'Jazz Blues' preset 36 in bank 9 has by default the arpeggiator enabled. Yet no arpeggios sound when playing, no sustain until you turn off the arp. When you hit arp edit, it looks like there are Part Mute buttons illuminated but you can't toggle them off. I didn't know if that was meant to be or not so I restored the factory settings, but it didn't change anything. The arps loaded are guitar arps, so they should be doing something. The arpeggiator functions as expected in the other guitar presets in the same bank.

Replied to in your Motifator thread:

http://www.motifator.com/index.php/forum/viewthread/472519/

Yamaha: Motif XF6 and XS6, A3000V2, A4000, YS200 | Korg: T3EX, 05R/W | Fender Chroma Polaris | Roland U-220 | Etc.

Archived