Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Trying to find the sound for Let's Go by the Cars

Seriously? Nord Lead.

Modulate the hard sync with one of the envelope generators: ADSR.

Kawai KG-2C, Nord Stage 3 73, Electro 4D, 5D and Lead 2x, Moog Voyager and Little Phatty Stage II, Slim Phatty, Roland Lucina AX-09, Hohner Piano Melodica, Spacestation V3, pair of QSC 8.2s.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Tonight I made a user patch out of the waveform (#608, P5 Unisync) used by the patch 400 (T8Sync SRX). I made a new user patch so I could get rid of the effects in the patch, and now I experimenting with different effects (distortion is a candidate). I think I am going to double the octave, with the lower octave softer in volume. I am going for the "Just a Girl" sound - we just rehearsed it for the first time tonight, and seems like this song will be a keeper for us.

Cool. I have a few "Let's Go" specific patches, mostly for Yamaha synths, so could probably still load patch editors to examine the specific waveforms and settings if necessary, but it looks like you worked it out.

Yeah, lowering the lower octave is a good idea for a variety of reasons, as it will cut through better and not muddy things up -- especially as the sync will trigger better with less low-end.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

• 3 years later...

Hi Guys. Resurrecting this thread. I do not know how to program sounds, but I do now have a new board, Yamaha MX88. It's technically a synthesizer but you have to "synthesize" it with software on an IPad. It's called FM Essential. So now I have this FM Essential loaded and Ipad plugged into the Yamaha, but have no idea how to create the Let's Go patch. All I could get out of this thread is that you have to sync the Oscillators, whatever those are.

Can someone tell me the easiest way to get this Let's Go patch? Again, I have a Yamaha mx88 and a Roland RD2000. None of their presets have anything close.

The closest you might get on the RD2000 is a handful of the presets 787, 788 and 789, which seem to have some sort of sync quality to them.

I don't own an RD2000, but looked at the owner's manual online, and then listened a bit to this

If you are unfamiliar with what hard sync is, it requires two oscillators, and one can be slaved or "sync'd" to the other. Here's a quick primer article from harmony central on the topic - I'm not sure either the MX or the RD has this capability.

Again, I have a Yamaha mx88 and a Roland RD2000. None of their presets have anything close.

Are you sure? If you haven't already, download the MX88 Data List pdf, open it, and search for "sync." There are quite a few voices that should get you close.

Live: Yamaha S70XS (#1); Roland Jupiter-80; Mackie 1202VLZ4: IEMs or Traynor K4

Home: Hammond SK Pro 73; Moog Minimoog Voyager Electric Blue; Yamaha S70XS (#2); Wurlitzer 200A

The closest you might get on the RD2000 is a handful of the presets 787, 788 and 789, which seem to have some sort of sync quality to them.

0789 for the win. Practically all Rolands with a rompler or synth component have the Let's Go sync sound in them somewhere. The guy in the video isn't lingering on the patch for very long, or playing the specific riff. I can't believe he spent over 7 1/2 hours going through all of them! But the video has attracted a few ads, so I guess he's making money off of it.