Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Hammond T200 in new Monty Python Silly Walks Video

At 0:33 of this video... Can't wait to see this show!

Silly Walks Video

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply
This gives me ideas of playing my Hammond naked.....except would need one of those blue hospital pads to sit on....noooooo...!

"Ive been playing Hammond since long before anybody paid me to play one, I didn't do it to be cool, I didnt do it to make a statement......I just liked it "

It doesn't affect the plot of the movie but that Hammond looks like a T200 model. Notice the squared rather than rounded shape of the tabs and the grouping is different than on an M100. Also, there are tabs visible just to the left of the lower manual that the M100 doesn't have. They really should have covered the bench with something.

http://www.keyboardpartner.de/hammond/pics/ttr-100frnt.jpg

C3/122, M102A, Vox V301H, Farfisa Compact, Gibson G101, GEM P, RMI 300A, Piano Bass, Pianet , Prophet 5 rev. 2, Pro-One, Matrix 12, OB8, Korg MS20, Jupiter 6, Juno 60, PX-5S, Nord Stage 3 Compact

Those T model have a unique following. There are guys that do a lot of wild and crazy mods on those T series spinets. I'm not a huge Genesis Fan and do not know much about the band but I think Tony Banks used a T.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

Tony Banks first Hammond was an L122 which he used on most of their classic recordings. The L122 is a fine organ but for some reason he switched to a T102. He didn't really make an informed choice. In a Keyboard interview he said he couldn't deal with sales people so when he went shopping rather than try out any organs he just said "I'll take that one" probably because it looked a lot like the L122.
C3/122, M102A, Vox V301H, Farfisa Compact, Gibson G101, GEM P, RMI 300A, Piano Bass, Pianet , Prophet 5 rev. 2, Pro-One, Matrix 12, OB8, Korg MS20, Jupiter 6, Juno 60, PX-5S, Nord Stage 3 Compact

You are correct about the "T" model. I hang my head in shame.

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

The L111 is my main rig these days. The chorus/vibrato is not just weak.... It's downright unusable!

The T200 has the same style of vibrato scanner as an M3. I'm not sure if the vibrato is any closer to a console or not. The later T organs have a different (drum) scanner, but to my ear, it sounds the same. But the later T organs, in particular, the T500, are (tonally) total shit. Unless you modify them to remove the extra crap they added to make tonewheels sound like transistors.

Wes

Hammond: L111, M100, M3, BC, CV, Franken CV, A100, D152, C3, B3

Leslie: 710, 760, 51C, 147, 145, 122, 22H, 31H

Yamaha: CP4, DGX-620, DX7II-FD-E!, PF85, DX9

Roland: VR-09, RD-800

I can think of at least a few unique L100 attributes not found on the M series:

1. Electronic Vibrato. I find the Normal Vibrato to be very usable even if the Chorus setting isn't. This type of Vibrato is not commonly found on other Hammonds but used on most other Organs of the day.

2. Self-starting Motor. When turning the Organ off an on for pitch-bend effect during a solo it always comes back to pitch no matter how long you turn it off.

3. Great Spring Reverb. Has a deep sparkly tone. I like it better than the M100 and the M has a separate Reverb Amp. The L can also produce a howling effect by shaking the Organ.

An L-100 (L-101) gets delivered by mistake instead of an office desk in a 'Bob Newhart Show' episode. He cracks a joke and procedes to play while no one's watching... full reverb on, no Leslie. :)

Archived