Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Hammond A100 to Leslie 147 connection questions

juanbastonoeste

I have just bought a leslie 147 which is now hooked up to my A100. I bought the organ already setup for "147 only". At the moment, everything works fine with sound coming from the 147 and the internal speakers, with the console load resister switch on the 147 set to open (is the correct position when using internal speakers in conjunction with a leslie??)

I would like to know what options I have for disabling the internal speakers so I can play through the 147 alone. And in that configuration, I'd like to know what position the leslie know should be set to (8ohm, 16ohm, or open) so that I don't damage the organ.

The cable connection on my organ is not a connector box (at least not that I can see), but is instead a single 6 pin female cable that is secured to the bottom of the organ. The cable leads up directly into the main body of the organ along with a bunch of other wires that are wrapped together. Would it also be an option for me to to buy a Main/ensemble, echo, switch and have that installed? And if I went with that option, would I then put the leslie switch to open,8, or 16?

Thanks so much for you expertise!

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

First of all, congrats on a wonderful score.

Sounds to me that you need the second half moon switch(main/ensemble/echo)as it is the standard route.

Good question about the load resistor because many would have just missed the issue all together. Sounds to me that you're going to have to find out exactly what has been done to the organ first. You might want to check out the Hammond/Leslie area at "organforums.com". Good folk over there, with plenty good guidance.

If you want to play without the internal speakers all the time, you could always disconnect the AO-39 and AO-35 and take the output for the 147 from the ground and one G terminal on the AO-28, like on a B3.

Another option would be to replace the speakers with load resistors, combine the output of the two power amps through 47 ohm 2W resistors into the 147. This would give you reverb through the Leslie too.

The most flexible option is to get the M/E/E kit with the 4H switch and install per the 147 manual. Warning, the MEE switch for the A100 with reverb is uncommon and expensive.

Me? I would run with the speakers on all the time ("ensemble"). It sounds better, as far as I am concerned. And it's the cheapest way to go.

Wes

Hammond: L111, M100, M3, BC, CV, Franken CV, A100, D152, C3, B3

Leslie: 710, 760, 51C, 147, 145, 122, 22H, 31H

Yamaha: CP4, DGX-620, DX7II-FD-E!, PF85, DX9

Roland: VR-09, RD-800

First of all, congrats on a wonderful score.

Sounds to me that you need the second half moon switch(main/ensemble/echo)as it is the standard route.

I happen to have an original one of these for sale. Contact me privately if you are interested.

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

+1

the best, easiest way to go is the second half moon. This way nothing gets disconnected. As good as your A100 sounds through the leslie, sometimes you just want to play it throught the internal speakers with reverb added. :love:

:nopity:

PR40 plus Leslies kick ass.

I suppose the internals on a A-100 might have a similar effect.... I don't know.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

I do enjoy the sound of the internal speakers and leslie ensemble. However, even if I crank the leslie, the volume from the internal speakers is too loud in comparison to the leslie. Is it possible to lower the volume of the internal speakers to achieve a better blend? If so, I'd be inclined to always play ensemble and leave it at that.

Also, I haven't gotten a definite answer on the ohm resistance knob on the 147. If I'm playing with my current configuration, should it be set to "open"?

And if I get set up with the MEE switch, then I would assume I'd be able to leave the 147 ohm knob on a single setting when switching between ensemble, echo, and main? If so, which setting would it be?

If the internal speakers are louder than the Leslie when the Leslie is at a high volume setting (above 5) something is wrong with either the connection or the Leslie amplifier. It sounds like a cobble-job pigtail hookup. I'd start there. Where is the Leslie cable connected inside the A-100 for the audio feed?

TP

---

Todd A. Phipps

"...no, I'm not a Hammondoholic...I can stop anytime..."

http://www.facebook.com/b3nut ** http://www.blueolives.com

So the leslie cable is running into a little silver box on the preamp (that's the one hanging upside down, right?) to the right of where is says tone control. The cable actually splits into two different segments, which pass into separate holes in the silver box...

I experimented more with the balance of internal speakers and the leslie and found that once I boosted to leslie volume to 8, I achieved a killer sound with a nice balance. Until I get up to 8 though, the internal speakers definitely drown out the leslie. Possibly relevant is that I had noticed before I even got the leslie that the output of this organ is quite hot; on normal volume with exp pedal floored, it's too loud for my ears and the foot pedal tones are way too much for the internal speakers to handle (they go into fart mode).

So, Is it ok to just always play with the leslie volume on 8, or does this sound like something that really needs fixing?

Thanks!

Sounds like a quick pigtail hook-up. The little silver cover to the right of the tone pot contains the AC terminals (blue and gray wires.) The audio will be coming from one G terminal and ground, those are actually on the other side of the tone pot.

What do you have for a tremolo switch?

And as Moe sez...Leslie amps sound best turned up. Never had issues with A-100 internal speakers farting out on pedal notes though...a touch of amp breakup at 8 on the 16' bar and all 8's on the manual drawbars, but the stock speakers reproduce it just fine on any I've played or worked on...

---

Todd A. Phipps

"...no, I'm not a Hammondoholic...I can stop anytime..."

http://www.facebook.com/b3nut ** http://www.blueolives.com

Is it possible that the output from the preamp had been boosted by a previous owner, resulting in the internal speakers not being able to handle the lower pedal tones? I was thinking maybe this is part of why I have to put the leslie so loud to get the right balance...

My tremelo switch is mounted in the standard position..it's black with gold on top and says slow and fast if my memory serves me. I'm not with the organ at the moment..

Archived