Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Sometimes hearing myself inspires me to play

J. Dan

Going through a bunch of old video footage thinking about splicing together a compilation for the website...except I got sidetracked. Watching myself play some of the songs made me want to play them. So I set up my rig and started playing. I guess that's a good sign. Watching myself play in my old band would have made me want to hit mute and listed to something else. Of course playing 30-40 gigs a year instead of 90-100 don't pay as well, but I'm happily broke!

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's a mixed bag for me too but sometimes I hear something I did that was really good but I thought it sucked while I was playing it. Funny how that happens. One time I heard a really good phrase and I tried for several gigs to copy it but it didn't work. It was one of those "it fit what was happening then" things and it just didn't sound right forcing it. I'm not one of those monsters who can come up with something awesome every gig. It's definitely hit or miss.

I was very happy to find my master mix of a gig I did about seven years ago. I recorded the whole thing on my Akai HD recorder. Then my hard drive crashed and I thought I had copied all the files but alas no but I did burn the master mix onto a CD. I thought I had lost it. I just listened to the whole thing last week and after seven years it sounds pretty decent. I'm going to put some of it on Soundcloud.

Bob

Hammond SK1, Mojo 61, Kurzweil PC3, Korg Pa3x, Roland FA06, Band in a Box, Real Band, Studio One, too much stuff...

I got a recording of my Floyd band rehearsal. I figured it would be really rough and didn't want to listen. It was definitely rough, vocals need work and there are missed cues and clams all over on everyone's part, but damn do the keys sound good! All the work I put in on making patches has paid off. Now if I could just get the parts right!

It was somewhat inspiring to hear, made me feel good about the direction the project is headed.

I have a lot of old audio from my hippy band, that's often fun to listen to. Trying to remember what my rig was at the time by hearing the organ sounds, etc.

Live: Korg Kronos 2 88, Nord Electro 5d Nord Lead A1

Toys: Roland FA08, Novation Ultranova, Moog LP, Roland SP-404SX, Roland JX10,Emu MK6

www.bksband.com

www.echoesrocks.com

[video:youtube]

I recorded this about 40 years ago... never liked it, cringed a lot so avoided it - seldom listened to it. In the last year or so, I cringe less.. actually see what is good about it.

Tee on elec bass, playing a difficult bass line... trust me.

You don't have ideas, ideas have you

We see the world, not as it is, but as we are. "One mans food is another mans poison". I defend your right to speak hate. Tolerance to a point, not agreement

Watching myself play makes me think I should sell my keyboard.
hearing myself sing makes me think I should sell my vocal cords.
I've been watching Ebay for some decent vocal cords to replace mine. I'll steer clear of yours. Thanks for the heads-up.

Gigs: Nord 5D 73, Kurz PC4-7 & SP4-7, Hammond SK1, Yamaha MX88 & P121, Numa Compact 2x, Casio CGP700, QSC K12, Yamaha DBR10, JBL515xt(2). Alto TS310(2)

Tangential to being inspired with what you've got:

Yeah, funny about the vocal cords.. but truth be told some very successful singers did not have great nor even good vocal cords. Just sayin.

Bob Dylan..! Louis Armstrong was a household name in America and the world.

Stones? Add others ....

You don't have ideas, ideas have you

We see the world, not as it is, but as we are. "One mans food is another mans poison". I defend your right to speak hate. Tolerance to a point, not agreement

I got a recording of my Floyd band rehearsal. I figured it would be really rough and didn't want to listen. It was definitely rough, vocals need work and there are missed cues and clams all over on everyone's part, but damn do the keys sound good! All the work I put in on making patches has paid off. Now if I could just get the parts right!

It was somewhat inspiring to hear, made me feel good about the direction the project is headed.

I have a lot of old audio from my hippy band, that's often fun to listen to. Trying to remember what my rig was at the time by hearing the organ sounds, etc.

what's your Floyd band?

Archived