Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

My Cat and the Piano

mauriziodececco

When i play piano at home, my cat come listening.

She doesn't like when i practice, i must play something; she seems to love expecially ballads.

Sometime she jump on the piano, lay down, look at me straight on the eyes and tell me "Play it again, Sam".

No, i made up the last bit, but she really do the rest.

I always thought that music was one of the thing separating humans from animal, the other notable one was cooking (intelligence, who care about intelligence), but it doesn't seems so.

Anybody has similar experiences ?

Maurizio

Nord Wave 2, Nord Electro 6D 61,, Rameau upright,  Hammond Pro44H Melodica.

Too many Arturia, NI and AAS plugins

http://www.barbogio.org/

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You'd probably get a lot of hits if you posted a video of this behavior on YouTube.

My cat usually leaves the room if I start playing my piano. He'd likely stick around if you were playing it, though.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

When i play piano at home, my cat come listening. She doesn't like when i practice, i must play something; she seems to love expecially ballads.

Sometime she jump on the piano, lay down, look at me straight on the eyes and tell me "Play it again, Sam".

No, i made up the last bit, but she really do the rest.

Anybody has similar experiences ?

Yeah my cat will jump on the piano and curl up for a nap if I am playing something he likes. Needs to be the very new-agey gentle stuff I make for my wife's spa music for him to "approve".

In fact he's kind of my barometer so I can tell if it's good for relaxing. If he lifts his head up and gives me a look I know it's "too heavy"... if he stays asleep all is good. I think he would be very happy being George Winston's cat. :)

One of my cats--now long gone--used to always come running into the room and jump up on the arm of the chair by the piano whenever I played the coda of the Chopin G minor Ballade. You could depend on him to show up during the passage in 6ths that starts the coda. I think he thought it was exciting.
Steinway L, 1958 Hammond B3, Kurzweil Forte, Prophet-6, Minimoog Voyager, Kawai VPC-1,Oberheim SEM-Pro, Doepfer Dark Energy, Nord Rack

If I am playing piano or acoustic guitar my cat will curl up on the rug next to me and nap.

If I am playing around with the modular or having some fun with the electric guitar and pedals it has the opposite effect. He sits at the door and stares at me with a "why are you making me suffer" look until I let him out.

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

No experience with cats, and my dogs are always underfoot so hard to judge there.. BUT..

We live in the country and hubby will sit on the porch and play his acoustic. Critters will literally come almost all the way to the porch - squirrels especially seem intrigued. One time he was playing on the porch and heard a sound above him - looked up to see a huge roadrunner on the roof of the house peering down and watching him.

Then he had this guy show up on his mic during practice - he jumped back and forth between hubby's shoulder or chest and the mic, but would not be scared away :

http://www.texasmusiciansforum.com/images/grasshopper1.jpg

My cats - over several years, have had mixed reactions to the sound of a piano - plus various keyboards. As for the dog o' the house - she has her current, favorite sound: a string pad on the CP4. I noticed it when she perked up, then sat - almost hypnotized - by a piano / string pad layer. When I fade the piano, and play the pad, she gives me these longing, almost 'come hither' looks... I should try and capture a photo of that sometime.

Then there was the plant - in my childhood home - that grew toward the piano.

'Someday, we'll look back on these days and laugh; likely a maniacal laugh from our padded cells, but a laugh nonetheless' - Mr. Boffo.

We need a barfing cat emoticon!

My cats love nearly supersonic modular synth chirping.

I had a cheap Yamaha mono synth many years ago and I found one particular sound that used to drive my cat nuts. She didn't react to any sounds from any other keyboard.

Nuts with affection or anger? :).

Brett

Since I play my nord into headphones, I dont disturb my cats...but my old Cassidy would come running up if I played the descant recorder, and try and put her mouth on the mouthpiece to blow in...she wanted to play as well!

NORD STAGE 2, IPAD 2 with lots of soft syths

Roland td9 expanded

Guitars, basses, Pod Xtl, GT-10b

Garritan, Reason, Symphonic Choirs , Cubase, Sibelius

Three shelter cats

Archived