Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

I am terrible at writiing these things. How does this sound

CEB

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Id probably be able to help you out in Chicago, but you don't want to be driving to Chicago for $100 gigs, I don't even like driving to the burbs for that when you factor in fuel, tolls, time. I would think resume wise, keep it simple, no negatives, musical influences are good as long as you make it clear your good at all/ most styles, having multiple instrument playing under your belt is a great bullit point.

"Ive been playing Hammond since long before anybody paid me to play one, I didn't do it to be cool, I didnt do it to make a statement......I just liked it "

This is nuts. I getting overwhelmed right now. Last 2 days I been contacted by 6 acts. I don't know .......

None of them saw my ad on the Musicans classfied site. It is the Facebook goosip chain I guess. I have not put any posts on Facebook asking for a gig. People just read where my old band shutdown and are tracking me down.

I just don't have a have good handle on the impact of this social media thing.

Right now I am going to concentrate on learn Santana songs for Wednesday. I can't prep for seven auditions. I have a day job.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

The magic of being a keyboard player! We are in demand. I know exactly what you're going through. Whenever I am in a period of looking for a new gig, it always quickly evolves into a juggling act of multiple leads and opportunities, new songs to learn for auditions or projects, and an anxiety caused by the fact that you're never sure which is/are the ones to focus your time and attention on and it's a crap-shoot either way.

Rich Forman

Yamaha MOXF8, Korg Kronos 2-61, Roland Fantom X7, Ferrofish B4000+ organ module, Roland VR-09, EV ZLX12P, K&M Spider Pro stand,

Yamaha S80, Korg Trinity Plus

If I lost my day job and got flooded with offers I would be happier than ****. But this stresses me out. LOL!

I got a gig last night. That was easier than I thought it would be. I have audition for another group next week ( Katy Perry, Lady Gaga, Cheryl Lloyd, Black Keys, Bruno Mars ..... stuff I have never listened to) This other gig may be more successful commercially but damn I really liked playing with the other guys last night.

It isn't the most lucrative gig. The band will not play as much as my last band but the pay will be fine and I may be able to do another project on the side. Musically it is the coolest thing I have done in a while but I am an old Gregg Rolie fan.

Congrats, glad to hear it. Late last year I lost my main busiest/best-paying ongoing band gig, it was a kick in the gut the way it went down, but like most of these things will be the best thing in the long run. Right now it's kind of analogous for me to when you become single after ending a long relationship, I am reveling in the freedom and basically taking on all comers, promiscuously pursuing every lead for a new band project and I have gotten a bunch of them, juggling an ongoing stream of potential opportunities, auditions, rehearsals, jams, projects and gigs in a patient search for what will eventually become my next "main" band and enjoying the newness and variety in the meantime. And much like you hit the gym after ending that relationship and going back on the market, I have been investing a lot of time and money in practice, new gear, new sounds, new songs learned or brushed-up or reapproached with my upgraded sound capabilities...and emphatically letting each prospective new band lead know that I am in freelance mode, not committed exclusively to any of them. Have three different rehearsals/sessions over the next four days starting tonight, have been doggedly preparing for all of them every evening after work, just taking a one-day break in between to hang out with my girlfriend, who also plays keyboards and we will likely spend most of the day jamming together at her place and showing each other the songs we've been working on. (She lives three hours away in another state, so happily we are not in competitition for the same gigs, but the competition always fires up when we are together to try to impress each other!) Anyway it is a fun time and I know it will shape up to be another crazy busy year by the time spring rolls around.

Rich Forman

Yamaha MOXF8, Korg Kronos 2-61, Roland Fantom X7, Ferrofish B4000+ organ module, Roland VR-09, EV ZLX12P, K&M Spider Pro stand,

Yamaha S80, Korg Trinity Plus

I love the fact I will never have to cover a single horn part in this band. The 3 man horn section is killer as are the rest of the players.

I have covered a lot of Santana and a couple of War tunes in my life in 4 and 5 piece cover bands but when you do it with 3 guys on timbales, trap kit and congas it is good .... like it should be.

Archived