Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

I am terrible at writiing these things. How does this sound

CEB

Any feedback would be appreciated. Objectively when comapared to other local players I am decent. But I don't want to sound like an arrogant buttmunch. Any tips? Thanks

Greetings,

My previous band leader has retired after a fine 5 year run. I am looking for a new gig. I will play any style. My primary consideration will be how busy the calendar is going to be and what the gig pays not genre.

I prefer to stay away from styles that call on sequencing. I sold my last hardware sequencer about a year ago. I do not like sequence programming.

My specialties are piano and Hammond organ. I am also versed in synthesizers. I have very good improvisation skills and can learn material quickly. I have very good gear. (Yamaha, Roland, Hammond, Kawai proline gear)

Reference will be made available on request. I can also see if I can get copies of live dry board mixes from my previous employer if anyone is interested.

Message me on this board or you can contact or text me at 2one7-(6 five 2)-9769.

Thanks

PS - I am a competent guitarist and bassist. I have played lead guitar in several bands. I am a former professional utility man. (Longtime ago, the 401K was terrible) I am a best as a keyboardist but would be willing to take a guitar job.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Where would this be posted? I wouldn't have a problem with it. It's direct and to the point.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Illinois Musicans Classified ... which the traffic used to strong but it has sort of died, I will probably post a version on Facebook and post it on bandmix.com.

It would have been more travel than I wanted but I should have took a gig I was offered in November when the band leader was trying to reform this thing. Oh well!

Good luck to you! ( not facetiously expressed )

For my knowledge what does "former professional utility man", mean?

Other than that one phrase.. Your note seems clear to me.

You don't have ideas, ideas have you

We see the world, not as it is, but as we are. "One mans food is another mans poison". I defend your right to speak hate. Tolerance to a point, not agreement

Looks good to me. If you'd also be willing to second on guitar, make a note of that. I find there's no shortage of tunes that benefit more from an extra guitarist than keyboards.

Also mention whether you're willing to play LHB (sans bass player). Maybe it's expected at the pro level, but there's no point leaving out a skill you have.

If you have any recordings to present, consider including a web link.

Do pros use Craigslist too?

Here's a general tip for job interviews, btw. A headhunter once gave me this tip and I've found it's an excellent one. Your goal during the interview (and audition) process is to get an offer. If you have any caveats or limitations or issues, wait until after you get the offer to raise them.

It's just good basic negotiating. For any issues that are negotiable, you're in a far better position to discuss them after an offer is made. The person doing the hiring has more invested in you at that point, and has already made a decision to go with you, and will be much more flexible about your concerns.

Another tip, one I discovered myself. It applies more to technical work than music, but I think it might still be worth mentioning. When someone asks me if I know "x", rather than say "yes" or "a lot", I talk about what I'd like to learn further about it. This gives me a chance to show what I know without looking arrogant. On a phone interview, you could use the same tactic; say they ask you about New Orleans music, instead of saying "Yeah, I got that covered" you can mention different NO musicians and things you've learned from them and things you're interested in getting more opportunities to refine or explore.

The difference between music and tech is the audition, where you can pretty quickly spot the BSers!

Good luck to you! ( not facetiously expressed )

For my knowledge what does "former professional utility man", mean?

Other than that one phrase.. Your note seems clear to me.

That is a good point. That is probably more of a Country thing.

In the late 80s I toured with my keyboard rig, Ovation acoustic guitar, Strat and a Tele, banjo, mandolin. I've played lap and pedal steel in the past. A utility man is a guy that plays multiple instruments on the road. Eventually Keyboard hardware got to where they could cover most of those things good enough for club gigs.

PS - I'm not playing pedal steel. I'm way out of practice and you spend as much time tuning as you do playing. LOL.

Any feedback would be appreciated. Objectively when comapared to other local players I am decent. But I don't want to sound like an arrogant buttmunch. Any tips? Thanks

Greetings,

My previous band leader has retired after a fine 5 year run. I am looking for a new gig. I will play any style. My primary consideration will be how busy the calendar is going to be and what the gig pays not genre.

I prefer to stay away from styles that call on sequencing. I sold my last hardware sequencer about a year ago. I do not like sequence programming.

My specialties are piano and Hammond organ. I am also versed in synthesizers. I have very good improvisation skills and can learn material quickly. I have very good gear. (Yamaha, Roland, Hammond, Kawai proline gear)

Reference will be made available on request. I can also see if I can get copies of live dry board mixes from my previous employer if anyone is interested.

Message me on this board or you can contact or text me at 2one7-(6 five 2)-9769.

Thanks

PS - I am a competent guitarist and bassist. I have played lead guitar in several bands. I am a former professional utility man. (Longtime ago, the 401K was terrible) I am a best as a keyboardist but would be willing to take a guitar job.

I would re-phrase "My primary consideration will be how busy the calendar is going to be and what the gig pays not genre." As someone looking to recruit, seeing someone lead with their concern about what the gig pays smells a little mercenary to me. I would probably rephrase that to be something like "I am looking for an actively gigging professional situation." That way you're letting people know you're trying to weed out the hobbyists without outright saying money is a concern.

Also, you don't need to say "I don't like sequence programming." I'd say something more like "looking for a fully live band with no sequences/backing tracks." Keep the language proactive and positive rather than making a laundry list of what you DON'T like or WON'T do.

Shorten the references and demo sentence to simply. "References and audio samples available upon request."

Ditch your personal experience about your 401k plan. Again, it paints a negative picture. I'd also rephrase the last bit to be "As an added bonus, I can also double on guitar and bass in a pinch."

In general, I also try to pin down styles I would prefer to play. "I play all styles" may get in into situations playing music you don't like. I'd say "versatile in many styles, but I gravitate to [insert genre of your choice here]." Better to weed out the situations you don't want before they pick up the phone and make their incompatible musical choices your problem.

Soul, R&B, Pop from Los Angeles

http://philipclark.com

Cannonball Gerald Albright Signature Alto, Yamaha YC73, Fender Rhodes, Roland Juno-106, Yamaha MX61, Roland VR-09, MicroKorg XL, Maschine Mikro, Yamaha Reface CP, Roland MKS-50

Yes, "Utility man", now rings a distant bell. But I suppose as has been mentioned, better to be more specific. Good luck to you. My career has just taken a left turn.. and I am wondering where my next gigs are going to be!

We see the world, not as it is, but as we are. "One mans food is another mans poison". I defend your right to speak hate. Tolerance to a point, not agreement

Think of this like a resume: Who are you? What's your objective? What are your strengths? What's your experience? The most important info should go first.

Ditch the bits about the band leader, the calendar, and the references. For now, they're superfluous.

You need to include your age. For better or worse, this is more of a determining factor than your playing.

You say you'll play any style, but clearly you won't play electronic, death metal, etc.

Get some MP3s of your playing. People will ask for it immediately.

Thanks everyone that is all great feedback.

I have played styles I don't like. I really will play about anything. I guess I am a mercenary at heart. At home I listen to mostly Classical and Fussion and stuff party audiences don't want to hear. LOL!

You are all great.

Maybe something like this...?

Im an experienced Keyboard and Guitar player seeking new opportunity.

I have decades of experience as a keyboard and synth player (my specialties include piano and Hammond organ), proline gear, good improvisational skills and am a very quick learner. Im familiar with most genres including (insert your favorites here), am flexible, easy to work with and professional. Also play guitar and bass (have played lead guitar in past).

Audio examples of my playing here.

Regarding revealing age... if you do not look, act, appear to be your age... subtract 10 years or so. Absolutely, fabricate your age. I met a woman on a gig the other day, that floored me... she was 95... I am telling you... her amazing posture, energy, mind, in no way indicated 95.

I always try to judge peoples age, this women could have been maybe 80. When I say 80, I mean 80.

So lie my friend. What the tough minded fella ( just above ) from Brooklyn said, is sadly true in some cases. So, do not be too candid about it. never give your age.. it is fashionable now to do so... I say BS, don't.

Just for me anyway, imo and when I have placed similar ads, I think it could be less wordy and detailed. I have had placed ads on Craiglist and Bandmix, more along the lines of simply "Pro keyboardist looking for working band project, 20+ years' cover/wedding/tribute band experience, all styles. Good equipment/sounds, transportation" etc. (It's really more like 30+ years experience but they don't necessarily need to hear that right away!) What you (or at any rate, I, when in similar situations) want is to get lots of leads, and only winnow them down as they come in after talking to them, you don't want to discourage anyone from contacting you in the first place. You can get into more details about your specialties/preferences/experiences and what you're looking for when you speak to someone about a potential gig or project (and even then you want to concentrate more on asking questions and learning about the potential situation than talking about yourself). You don't want to scare anyone away from letting you know about any existing opportunities, for instance, maybe when they read "My primary consideration will be how busy the calendar is going to be and what the gig pay," they will stop themselves from calling for fear that their work schedule or pay won't meet your requirements when it actually might have been of interest to you. Just my 2c of course.

What's worked out well for me also, is that I made a YouTube playlist consisting of a collection of pretty-good-quality live videos of me playing with several different bands over the last few years, they seem to make a good impression and I will send them a link to that after they contact me.

Rich Forman

Yamaha MOXF8, Korg Kronos 2-61, Roland Fantom X7, Ferrofish B4000+ organ module, Roland VR-09, EV ZLX12P, K&M Spider Pro stand,

Yamaha S80, Korg Trinity Plus

Now that I think about there are things where I just don't have the frame of reference to pick up run with it like gangsta rap and some Hip Hop. But there are dancy stuff I have played and enjoyed like Jessie J etc....

As long as I shave or darken my beard I don't look that old. I'm 49 but pass for 40 maybe..... I hope.

Thanks again everyone. I have to audio samples. Joe has the 2013 State Fair shows on CD plus a bunch of other stuff. I believe in live samples. Everything I have is classical. ragtime, and early American music done on solo Piano on Cubase. Nothing that would get played out.

Don't forget to hit the MO classifieds since you're so close, plus the college - I'm sure there's lots of musicians there looking to play out.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

Illinois musician? Where you at brother? Might be in my back yard! :)

I'm living in Springfield right now.

Illinois musician? Where you at brother? Might be in my back yard! :)

I'm living in Springfield right now.

I was thinking you were in quincy. Is St. Louis too far for you to gig? Lots of bands on the metro east that would only be maybe 1hr from you.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

I used to play in the Lou and Alton quite a bit back in the day. I've gotten spoiled the last 5 years or so. Playing 85-105 gigs a year and rarely leaving town.

When I have to write something persuasive, I refer back to this headline formula article. I'm not a copywriter - so I usually need a little reminder to get me started. And this article helps.

The content is sales-focused and it helps channel writing to the target audience and capture the readers attention. It's been a big help to me.

http://www.passionforbusiness.com/blog/3headlineformulas/

Steve Coscia

Greetings,

Thanks

I would re-phrase "My primary consideration will be how busy the calendar is going to be and what the gig pays not genre." As someone looking to recruit, seeing someone lead with their concern about what the gig pays smells a little mercenary to me. I would probably rephrase that to be something like "I am looking for an actively gigging professional situation." That way you're letting people know you're trying to weed out the hobbyists without outright saying money is a concern.

Also, you don't need to say "I don't like sequence programming." I'd say something more like "looking for a fully live band with no sequences/backing tracks." Keep the language proactive and positive rather than making a laundry list of what you DON'T like or WON'T do.

Shorten the references and demo sentence to simply. "References and audio samples available upon request."

Ditch your personal experience about your 401k plan. Again, it paints a negative picture. I'd also rephrase the last bit to be "As an added bonus, I can also double on guitar and bass in a pinch."

In general, I also try to pin down styles I would prefer to play. "I play all styles" may get in into situations playing music you don't like. I'd say "versatile in many styles, but I gravitate to [insert genre of your choice here]." Better to weed out the situations you don't want before they pick up the phone and make their incompatible musical choices your problem.

Great advice all the way around, and strongly recommended. I was going to say a very similar thing to what I've now bolded.

Hey paisano! :) The furthest south we gig is Bloomington/Normal area. Lotta work there . How far is that from you?

There were a couple of places we played in Bloomington. We had a drummer from there and we booked some Bloomington. It is 55 miles from my house leave the subdivision and get on I-55 andrive north. My son lives in Normal. He is a student art ISU.

Back in the day I used to play at old American Legion Dance Hall in Pontiac IL. It used to be an old school gymnasium. Putting a Hammond on that stage was a pain.

I got 2 offers last night and one real hot lead to call a good band who just lost their keyboard player. No one saw this ad. LOL!

I guess The Gossip gets a flying.....

Archived