Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

velcro?

bloodyMary

Velcro has been mentioned here many times.

But what's the strongest (musical) load you ever fixed with Velcro?

I'm thinking of using some adhesive backed Velcro to secure my synth (MOX6) to the stand. The reason is: the stand is tilted by quite an angle (about 45deg.) and I'm concerned about it being kicked off the stand.

According to Wikipedia, Velcro should have no problem supporting a 15-pound load. but somehow it feels weird..

(another option is drilling some holes on the synth's bottom and inserting threaded rivets. This will be real heavy duty but involves disassembling a synth. I'd rather not do it while it's still under warranty..)

Stage: MOX6, V-machine, and Roland AX7

Rolls PM351 for IEMs.

Home/recording: Roland FP4, a few guitars

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've used velcro for smaller items - rack modules, wall warts, wireless transmitters, that sort of thing.

From the fabric store I've gotten the industrial strength version which is significantly different from the normal consumer stuff.

Have never used it for a keyboard, even a light one like what you're describing. Might suggest you rig some sort of safety line or fail-safe protection (maybe one of those Kensington cable locks they use for computer equipment?) in the unlikely event of velcro failure? It may fall out of playing position, but at least it doesn't crash on the floor.

To my thinking, the primary cause of velcro failure is not pressing hard enough in all areas to make sure a secure adhesion, maybe others here know how else that might fail.

yeah, the only failures I've had is the adhesive. Make sure the surface you stick it to is very clean and dry. Maybe start by cleaning it with a solvent and a light abrasive.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

You can buy different grades of Velcro. It comes in three levels: Industrial Strength, Industrial Strength Low Profile, Extreme Industrial Strength.

Check out velcro.com.

One of these products will surely do - I'd probably go for the Industrial Strength as I've used it in the past. Give the adhesive time to bond properly as it isn't at full strength immediately. If you're still worried about it, attach an angle bracket to the end of your supports to hold the keyboard in place.

Eric is the Velcro king around these parts, perhaps he'll chime in.

Here for the gear.

The max load depends on how much Velcro you use. Industrial strength is rated at 1 lb per sq in of Velcro for a vertical load, and I presume this assumes a flat enough surfaces for the adhesive sides to get good contact. Also this rating is for a static load not a keyboard that gets bumped. If you're still not sure, do a mock-up with something other than your synth (something that you don't mind hitting the floor!

Back when I was gigging with the trio we were playing a small club and it was packed. This wedding party came in drunk and it was intense! I had a tier and was playin lh bass. Well in the heat of the moment we launched into China Grove and I did a big exaggerated gliss up the board..and the board came with!! Luckily I caught it underneath somehow. So there I was pluggin bass with lefty and holding the other board like a pizza! Lol! After the gig I put velro on the stand and the bottom of the board and never had a pizza problem again. :) Ah! The power of velcro! Big fan here! ;)
"A good mix is subjective to one's cilia." http://hitnmiss.yolasite.com

FWIW, I was considering velcro to attach an Ashby half moon to my XK-1. The half moon has supplied with some but I found it to be less than perfect for my taste. I even tried some of the industrial strength mentioned above. That still was not what I was looking for. I would have preferred a permanent attachment with screws but then the board would not fit in the case. So I settled on high strength magnets from here http://www.kjmagnetics.com/. I got 4 disc magnets about the size of a nickel and attached them to the half moon with nothing more than a small strip of duck tape. Stays on hard and fast unlike the velcro. Doesn't move around when changing speeds. Removal for transport is easy and now I don't need a new case! :thu:

Stan

Gig Rig: Yamaha S90 XS; Hammond SK-1; Rehearsal: Yamaha MOX8 Korg Triton Le61, Yamaha S90, Hammond XK-1

Retired: Hammond M2/Leslie 145, Wurly 200, Ensoniq VFX

You may also wish to check out 3M Dual-Lock.

This stuck is hook-and-loop, like velcro, but it doesn't have a fuzzy side. It is also MUCH MUCH stronger than velcro and has a positive mating feel. This is the stuff they use to attach body panels to cars (GM Saturn) etc. I have hung gear upside down in a rack with it before.

It is absolutely mandatory that you have a clean surface so that the adhesive can set up properly. You should also give the parts 24 hours for stress-free setup time. The glue on Dual-Lock is fantastic but it does take a day to reach full strength.

I have also been known to use small screws when possible to back-stop the adhesive.

http://www.fastenation.com/category.php?id=254&crumbs=145,254&utm_source=google&utm_campaign=G+-+Search+-+Brand+-+3M&utm_medium=cpc&mkwid=s33ZmjjMR&pcrid=23249236922&gclid=CMHs8cDwgrwCFew7MgodAAgAIQ

Hammond: L111, M100, M3, BC, CV, Franken CV, A100, D152, C3, B3

Leslie: 710, 760, 51C, 147, 145, 122, 22H, 31H

Yamaha: CP4, DGX-620, DX7II-FD-E!, PF85, DX9

Roland: VR-09, RD-800

This stuck is hook-and-loop, like velcro, but it doesn't have a fuzzy side. It is also MUCH MUCH stronger than velcro and has a positive mating feel. This is the stuff they use to attach body panels to cars (GM Saturn) etc. I have hung gear upside down in a rack with it before.

It is absolutely mandatory that you have a clean surface so that the adhesive can set up properly. You should also give the parts 24 hours for stress-free setup time. The glue on Dual-Lock is fantastic but it does take a day to reach full strength.

I have also been known to use small screws when possible to back-stop the adhesive.

http://www.fastenation.com/category.php?id=254&crumbs=145,254&utm_source=google&utm_campaign=G+-+Search+-+Brand+-+3M&utm_medium=cpc&mkwid=s33ZmjjMR&pcrid=23249236922&gclid=CMHs8cDwgrwCFew7MgodAAgAIQ

does it wear out if fastened/unfastened frequently (like once a week)?

Stage: MOX6, V-machine, and Roland AX7

Rolls PM351 for IEMs.

Home/recording: Roland FP4, a few guitars

This stuck is hook-and-loop, like velcro, but it doesn't have a fuzzy side. It is also MUCH MUCH stronger than velcro and has a positive mating feel.

Agree. This stuff holds tight.

As far as adhesives go, you can also try an aerosol spray adhesive, such as 3M 77. Spray on both surfaces, wait till it's quite tacky, then join together. But get it right the first time, you only get one shot. Instant bond.

I would like to apologize to anyone I have not yet offended. Please be patient and I will get to you shortly.

Eric is the Velcro king around these parts, perhaps he'll chime in.

I'm always glad to chime in about Velcro! I've been using it on keyboard rigs for going on 20 years, maybe more. It started as a pedal board thing and then I started using it on my keyboard stands to keep everything locked tight. I had played a gig where the active bass player kept bumping into my rig and jarring my keyboards around. Velcro solved this quickly.

I also have lots of Velcro pull ties all around the rig to keep cables where they need to be (out of sight, tucked close to the stand) and I roll all my snakes with Velcro pull ties.

I have used the standard-grade stuff you can buy in a 15 foot roll from Lowe's for some of my applications. Lately, I've been going with the industrial strength and it works very well and is extremely long-lasting. Some of you know that I have a rolling and tilting keyboard rig. The main platform is a swiveling board onto which I attach my Nord Stage 2 88 with velcro. I perform maneuvers like this many times during each gig and that board is not going anywhere.

298367_1621240708620_63136110_n.jpg

Velcro is good stuff, I also use it to tidy up cables. Our drummer gave me some industrial cork stuff with adhesive on one side for my stand arms--you can tip over the whole stand before the boards will slide, though obviously I can't do the tip like Eric above!

When I bought my used standtastic stand, I noticed the little velcro tabs that are used to hold the slanted leg pieces when folded were coming off, so I figured "hey I'll add some new ones, but twice as long for more holding power!". Well, once those thin metal pieces were velcroed on there, I had a hell of a time getting them off, I used 4" strips which was *waaaay* overkill :)

Archived