Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

The Big Photography Thread

For making money in photography, the best bets are things like wedding or portrait photography, and maybe product/commercial photography. Maybe journalism, although we all know where that's going. And the other area, although it's hard to make a living at, is possibly stock photography.

Few if any make money doing stuff like night photography unless you can get a lot of workshops going and keep busy doing that.

I maybe make, I don't know, several hundred to a thousand dollars on prints per year. For me, most income from photography comes from licensing my photos to magazines, winning photography contests, or doing night photography workshops.

If I can make enough money to purchase camera equipment, I'm beyond ecstatic.

But otherwise, I'm a bad one to ask because I'm horrible at monetizing anything, and don't even think that way. If I create a photo that I love, to me, I've already succeeded.

I'm a hyperactive person who is always doing something. Night photography is my temple. It's my cathedral. It's often me and the world out there, my camera, and my flashlight, enjoying the beautiful night sky.

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

3657-2014-07-15-0402-146sf8iso640-carmaarrays-kenlee_carmaarrays-1000px.jpg

I'm going up to join a small group of photographers shooting in the Owens Valley Saturday evening, shooting the telescope array or the Ancient Bristlecone Pine Forest.

And it's been clear there.

But not Saturday.

Looks like I'm going to have more cloudy photos of one or the other like last year!! :D Should be a fun hang, though.

Thanks!

7519kenlee-2015-0-08-0324-joshuatree-threecrosses-lightpainting-20sf28iso640-4000k-1000px.jpg

A night sky photo taken out in the California desert this summer, with the moon peaking from behind the cross in the middle.

Thanks Ken! Those two you just posted are spectacular.

One more from tonight, there are some others on Flickr

20718302633_6496b61da4_b.jpgSkylight by Mike Martin, on Flickr

-Mike Martin

Casio

Mike Martin Photography Instagram Facebook

The Big Picture Photography Forum on Music Player Network

The opinions I post here are my own and do not represent the company I work for.

Man, I go away for a work trip this week, and you guys have all kinds of great discussion! I want to add my 2 cents!

I too have only been 'seriously' shooting for a short time, the past 3 years or so. I picked up my first DSLR in the spring of 2012. Prior to that, the only experience I had was in a black and white film photography class in college (~2008). Looking back, this class really demystified photography and gave me a great understanding of both the technical and artistic aspects. I've said this before: I strongly recommend taking a class like this if you can (many colleges and organizations around still offer them, surprisingly).

Having shot digital exclusively for a couple years now, I've found that adding some film shooting back into the mix (through the acquisition of some medium format cameras) has helped me improve even further. Everything is slowed down, really making me think about composition and exposure. I have to use a handheld light meter since it's not built in. Everything is manual; I have to set the aperture, shutter speed, and focus. I'm limited to 12 or 8 shots per roll, and with the expense of film and developing, I need to make every shot count.

And it works. I find that my yield when shooting medium format is nearly 90%, that is, nine out of ten shots are worth keeping. Compare that to my typical 20 or 30% yield when shooting digitally. Actually, the film mentality is working its way over my digital shooting; I'm taking fewer shots of a scene than I used to, actively trying to get it right in a couple of shots.

Here is a challenge for you DSLR shooters, if you're up for it:

• Use the smallest memory card you have from back in the day, maybe 128 or 256 MB. Something that will only hold 10-20 shots.
  • Put a prime lens on your camera and set focus to manual. If you don't have any primes, use your zoom lens but only at one focal length.
  • Put your camera in manual exposure mode.
  • Set your ISO to either 100 or 400 (these are the two most common film speeds). Pick one! No changing based on lighting conditions!
  • Cover your DSLR screen with a piece of gaff tape. No reviewing the photos you took!
  • Extra bonus point: Download a light meter app for your smartphone and use that in lieu of the camera's meter

For maybe a week or so, limit yourself to this situation. The goal is to have your memory card filled up by the end of the week. I bet nearly every image you get will be a good one.

I like the idea of this Richie. I was trying to work out if there was a way I could adapt it to take part with my iPhone: I do have an app which allows you to set a lot of things manually, and I am using it more and more; but I am not good enough at it to usually get the exposures correct the first time - I do rely on seeing what I have done and then making further adjustments. Maybe next year...... Or maybe when I get a "proper" camera... :cool:

"Turn your fingers into a dust rag and keep them keys clean!" ;) Bluzeyone

My goal is just to keep trying to get better. Since starting to do night photography and light painting and star trails stuff about three years ago, I feel like I've found my "voice". And I simply want to soak it in and keep getting better and keep getting out there and taking photos. I love the whole creativity, peacefulness, sense of connectedness, and really, the entire process of taking night photos.

Noted night photographer Michael Kenna sums it up beautifully:

Getting photographs is not the most important thing. For me its the act of photographing. Its enlightening, therapeutic and satisfying, because the very process forces me to connect with the world. When you make four-hour exposures in the middle of the night, you inevitably slow down and begin to observe and appreciate more whats going on around you. In our fast-paced, modern world, its a luxury to be able to watch the stars move across the sky. Michael Kenna in Photographers Forum Interview Winter 2003 by Claire Sykes

That is really nice, Ken. :)

I've listened to several, but the one that I am hooked on right now is the Improve Photography podcasts, which are interesting and often quite funny. And they just do it right.

OTOH, I found Camera Dojo to be unlistenable, so I switched to something else after about 10 minutes.

These are the International Light Painting Award nominees for 2015. I have two photos that have made the final 100 selections, a great honor. There are some amazing images here. Take a moment and check 'em out!

http://www.lightart-photography.de/lp-award/gallery/

http://www.lightart-photography.de/lp-award/assets/img/logo-ilpa.png

Wow! The upward angle of the rock arch against the night sky, an almost other worldly scene; and then the tree twisting unto itself, a sentinel of a lone landscape, wise and strong.

So happy you made this competition! It looks like you are in good artistic company and I hope you can snap (pun intended) a few awards!

:2thu:

:boing: :boing: :boing::2thu::2thu::2thu::love::love::love:

Wow Ken!! What an amazing achievement - and so thoroughly well deserved. The nominees photos look incredible (as do yours). So pleased that the tree one is there (one of my favourites of yours). I am so very very pleased and excited for you. Congratulations!! :)

I think each of us could submit two, so it's pretty great that both were nominated out of thousands and thousands of submissions worldwide. There are so many talented light painters out there, so it's cool to be included with these photographers.

Thanks!

Love that one Ken. Such a cool angle. :)

Thanks. Goin' full-on '60s Batman style with that one. If you're gonna have a crooked horizon, make it reeeeeeaally crooked, I think! :D

These are nothing near as spectacular as what you all share here, but this is "Around Irwin Acres" (the shoot, do not look at until you off-load challenge).

They all came out fine except one . . . I needed to crop out my own shadow which I did not notice at the time but it was just at the edge.

Around Irwin Acres

Please note that I sometimes take pictures of odd things, but these are things that just capture my attention and seem to need their story preserved.

:)