Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

The Big Photography Thread

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't like those little pesky things like clouds get in the way of your star trails photos! ;):D

startrails-magicrock-kenlee-joshuatree-21min-30sf28iso400-700px.jpg

Set your camera on a table, let it click away, and go get something to eat!!!

Silly me....I thought they were scratches on my UV filter. Very nice, Ken, as always. I will put star trails on my to do list, but not in the middle of a town square with some questionable characters milling around...some danger I do not laugh in the face thereof.

www.wjwcreative.com

www.linkedin.com/in/wjwilcox

A few from last week's vacation. Nothing better to do at night in Newark, Ohio, than play tourist and take photos of the historic district:

20800584728_678f70558c_c.jpg

8:27 pm by Bill Wilcox, on Flickr

20801713369_49a3efc8ca_c.jpg

Midland Theatre by Bill Wilcox, on Flickr

20988528765_e95424e64f_c.jpg

Clock and moon by Bill Wilcox, on Flickr

20801697119_c4c8b71915_c.jpg

Midland Theatre by Bill Wilcox, on Flickr

These are great, Bill. Somehow, it seems to me lthat you have managed to create the effect that they are painted on velvet. Beautiful colours. :)

"Turn your fingers into a dust rag and keep them keys clean!" ;) Bluzeyone

Don't like those little pesky things like clouds get in the way of your star trails photos! ;):D

All your photos are giving me a feast for my eyes right now, Ken. thanks!! :love:

"Turn your fingers into a dust rag and keep them keys clean!" ;) Bluzeyone

These are great, Bill. Somehow, it seems to me lthat you have managed to create the effect that they are painted on velvet. Beautiful colours. :)

Bill these are great. I'm in NJ so often, I need go visit that area for some photography.

-Mike Martin

Casio

Mike Martin Photography Instagram Facebook

The Big Picture Photography Forum on Music Player Network

The opinions I post here are my own and do not represent the company I work for.

Gorgeous photo xKnuckles.

Ken, I'm still stunned by your night shots. I have tried several times recently to get a night sky and have failed miserably.

-Mike Martin

Casio

The opinions I post here are my own and do not represent the company I work for.

Here is a photo taken on the shore of the Isle of Barra, far North of Scotland. :)

Very nice! Just the name of the location makes it a more exotic photo...at least to a former Joisey boy.

www.wjwcreative.com

Bill these are great. I'm in NJ so often, I need go visit that area for some photography.

Thanks, Anne and Mike. Anne, the velvet is probably the digital noise from the high ISO the camera uses to pull off those night shots at hand-held shutter speeds. Mike, instead of flying, do a road trip from Naperville to the Garden State...stay off the Interstate and the Pennsylvania Turnpike to find all the good stuff and avoid the tolls.

www.wjwcreative.com

Mike, instead of flying, do a road trip from Naperville to the Garden State...stay off the Interstate and the Pennsylvania Turnpike to find all the good stuff and avoid the tolls.

I actually did a big road trip this past weekend. I drove from NJ to Columbus, OH for a wedding and back to NJ. I should have done exactly what you said, it was a beautiful day on Sunday for my drive back. I'm such a geek though, I spent most of my drive listening to photography podcasts instead of music.

I actually took several hundred shots at the wedding for my brothers step-son. There was a wedding photographer there but from what I've seen they should have some more time searching for someone. The wedding photographer came to me for batteries for her flash, she didn't bring any....I had 16 AA's in my bag. I was pretty happy with my results.

http://mikemartinphotography.pass.us/sankerwedding/

-Mike Martin

Casio

Mike, what photography podcasts do you listen to?

The first ones I started listening to were from these guys: http://improvephotography.com/podcasts/

They now have a few different podcasts in their group. One specifically on portraits as an example. I don't always agree with them but now that they seem to have a group of hosts its good to see that they disagree with each other from time to time. There has definitely been some very valuable information there. Avoid their one called Thoughts on Photography - the host and the audio quality makes it a bit to painful to recommend at this time.

I also subscribe to the full podcast feed from TWIP - This Week in Photo: http://thisweekinphoto.com/

Several of the shows I started thinking this isn't for me have ended up being very insightful.

I'll add that I'm amazed by the popularity of photography lately along with all the websites that are making money teaching things about it. As far as the podcasts go, there isn't anything quite like it in the music world that teach the basics of MIDI...keyboards and more. The SonicState podcast is always on my list but that is more about gear than instruction. There are lots of parallels between the music and photography world but this is one area that is different. Anyway, just thinking out loud.

-Mike Martin

Casio

Mike, instead of flying, do a road trip from Naperville to the Garden State...stay off the Interstate and the Pennsylvania Turnpike to find all the good stuff and avoid the tolls.

I actually did a big road trip this past weekend. I drove from NJ to Columbus, OH for a wedding and back to NJ. I should have done exactly what you said, it was a beautiful day on Sunday for my drive back. I'm such a geek though, I spent most of my drive listening to photography podcasts instead of music.

I actually took several hundred shots at the wedding for my brothers step-son. There was a wedding photographer there but from what I've seen they should have some more time searching for someone. The wedding photographer came to me for batteries for her flash, she didn't bring any....I had 16 AA's in my bag. I was pretty happy with my results.

Terrific wedding photos, Mike. We did the same drive last Thursday...NJ to Newark, OH, which is about 30 miles east of Columbus. We took side trips through Bethlehem, PA, where I used to work, Connellsville, PA, to watch trains and antique shop, followed US40 for a while to avoid an accident on I-70 and stayed in Newark for the night. Just south of Newark is the Dawes Arboretum and a Mail Pouch barn (my first!).

www.wjwcreative.com

We did the same drive last Thursday...NJ to Newark, OH, which is about 30 miles east of Columbus. We took side trips through Bethlehem, PA, where I used to work, Connellsville, PA, to watch trains and antique shop, followed US40 for a while to avoid an accident on I-70 and stayed in Newark for the night. Just south of Newark is the Dawes Arboretum and a Mail Pouch barn (my first!).

You did the drive a day before me. I drove west on Friday. Amazing we were so close. I saw the signs for the Dawes Arboretum and was tempted to stop. Next time...

-Mike Martin

Casio

Ken, I'm still stunned by your night shots. I have tried several times recently to get a night sky and have failed miserably.

Thanks Mike!

This may help:

https://kenleephotography.wordpress.com/2012/06/05/how-do-you-take-photos-of-the-stars-but-not-a-star-trails-photo/

Thanks for the links to the podcasts. Will have a listen!

I still want one Ken took quite a few pages back, covering my whole lounge wall. It was a beautiful stunning night shot of a road going between 2 hills in the desert with light in the distance....

Brett

I think that's the Vasquez Rocks one with the moon hanging overhead. Thank you very much for your kind words.

At first glance, I thought that said kanker's wedding. ;) Those shots could have been taken by a pro, Mike. Nice job. You could start charging money.

In fact, most of you in this thread could! :thu:

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

We have had lot's of rain , and this sprang up in the garden a couple of days ago :)

Hahahahaha!! What beautifully perfect flowers you have now!!!!! Thanks!!!!!

At first glance, I thought that said kanker's wedding. ;) Those shots could have been taken by a pro, Mike. Nice job. You could start charging money.

In fact, most of you in this thread could! :thu:

I took a quick peek at the photos, and they really do look like a seasoned wedding photographer took them, I think.

The clouds plus that length of star trails give it a feeling of rain which I really like.

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page