Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Changing Sounds on the Yamaha CP4

RD57

I still haven't been able to see the CP4 in person yet but it sounds like it could be my next keyboard. I know you save your edits within a performance but how fast can you move between sounds? I perform in a track based duo/trio group so I change sounds and textures often. I presume within one performance you could have your main sound , then hit layer for your pad, then split for synth lead...basically 3 setups within the performance? What if you go from perf#1 to Perf#13...how do you get there quickly? There are songs that just the piano or Rhodes sound will do but sometimes I need more versatility. Would appreciate any advice about this. Thanks

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Very timely question as I just got my CP4 today. I am trying to understand the MIDI implementation myself. Would love for more folks to chime in.

Kawai C-60 Grand Piano : Hammond A-100 : Hammond SK2 : Yamaha CP4 : Yamaha Montage 7 : Moog Sub 37

My latest album: Funky organ, huge horn section

https://bobbycressey.bandcamp.com/album/cali-native

The increment / decrement dial is extremely fast on the CP4. I could get from Performance #5 to Performance #120 accurately in about 3 - 4 seconds. A Set List App would come in handy if you need instantaneous changes.

So far I've been able to quickly set up about a dozen, basic keyboard / synth gigging Performances - on top of fifty, factory performances I plan to keep. The CP4 seems rather quick to get up to speed on, and sets up almost intuitively. Seems closer in layout simplicity to the RD-300NX, vs. the CP50. While the CP4's greatest strength is as a stage piano ( along with the ep's), most of the additional sounds are more than jobbing capable; a large handful are actually excellent. While I plan to use the CP4 in a two keyboard, jobbing rig, it could cover - in a pinch - a classic rock, or pop gig as a single keyboard. The two areas I've found most challenging are Hammond coverage ( decent enough samples and rotary sim., but extremely limited sound set), and lead synth design ( Need to beef up the stock lead tones a bit, among other things). But as a surprisingly serviceable set of variable electric guitar Performances came together pretty quickly (those Effects A/B switches are very useful), I may try applying some of that programming to the basic, lead synth tones.

Another single keyboard option I'm considering is integrated an iPad as a sound module. With a USB, B port and 1/8" stereo input, the CP4 seems made for this sort of setup. And that would handily cover a few of the sonic limitations of the keyboard - especially in the clonewheel and VA areas.

Haven't yet explored the MIDI implementation; but that's coming up soon. From reviews I've seen, the CP4 is fairly straightforward as a capable, live MIDI controller. IOW, not as comprehensive as a PC3, but able to cover the core bases.

'Someday, we'll look back on these days and laugh; likely a maniacal laugh from our padded cells, but a laugh nonetheless' - Mr. Boffo.

We need a barfing cat emoticon!

I will want to have a number of performances made on the CP4 and select different ones via MIDI from my Motif XS. I hope it's a smooth implementation. Will be diving into that today.

Kawai C-60 Grand Piano : Hammond A-100 : Hammond SK2 : Yamaha CP4 : Yamaha Montage 7 : Moog Sub 37

According to the data sheet, the CP4 always used 63 as the MSB. For Performances use 80 for the LSB and 0..127 for the program number. For Voices, use 0 to 15 as the LSB for each Category and 32 for "other drums". Program numbers for each category start at 0 and go to the limit (-1) of each category. It's all in the Data List PDF.

Hope that helps.

Bam that's the exact info I'll need. I haven't dived into the data sheets yet and likely would have found this info myself, but I think you just saved me that task. Thanks J Graul.

Bam that's the exact info I'll need. I haven't dived into the data sheets yet and likely would have found this info myself, but I think you just saved me that task. Thanks J Graul.

+1. Thanks, as well, J Graul. That's useful info, and saves search time.

'Someday, we'll look back on these days and laugh; likely a maniacal laugh from our padded cells, but a laugh nonetheless' - Mr. Boffo.

I will want to have a number of performances made on the CP4 and select different ones via MIDI from my Motif XS. I hope it's a smooth implementation. Will be diving into that today.

I suspect that will be really easy in Master mode on the XS.

Live: Korg Kronos 2 88, Nord Electro 5d Nord Lead A1

Toys: Roland FA08, Novation Ultranova, Moog LP, Roland SP-404SX, Roland JX10,Emu MK6

www.bksband.com

www.echoesrocks.com

Another single keyboard option I'm considering is integrated an iPad as a sound module. With a USB, B port and 1/8" stereo input, the CP4 seems made for this sort of setup. And that would handily cover a few of the sonic limitations of the keyboard - especially in the clonewheel and VA areas.

This works, but you need some kind of noise-killing solution on the AUX IN to the CP4 or you'll get weird feedback when the USB cable is plugged in. I found a cheap Belkin gizmo intended for car stereos that worked fine.

Yamaha could have made it easier to mix the sound through the AUX IN, but they apparently only intended it as a "play along" feature. You have to adjust AUX IN through the volume of whatever is plugged in, although that then gets mixed in with the master volume. If there is a way to assign AUX IN to a layer I haven't found it yet. If you intend to turn off the CP4 voices while using the iPad it works beautifully. If you want to have both the board and the iPad going at once, it works not so beautifully.

According to the data sheet, the CP4 always used 63 as the MSB. For Performances use 80 for the LSB and 0..127 for the program number. For Voices, use 0 to 15 as the LSB for each Category and 32 for "other drums". Program numbers for each category start at 0 and go to the limit (-1) of each category. It's all in the Data List PDF.

Hope that helps.

Is the receive channel always set to 1? A quick look at manual makes it look like it is, but I haven't dived into any deeper .PDFs yet. Would love to be able to set the board to recieve on a diff channel if possible.

Figured it out somehow. And to answer my above query, you can change the recieve channel easily, but channels 1-3 are still hard wired to control the main sound, layer and split. To avoid any issues I have the keyboard receiving on channel 4.

This works, but you need some kind of noise-killing solution on the AUX IN to the CP4 or you'll get weird feedback when the USB cable is plugged in. I found a cheap Belkin gizmo intended for car stereos that worked fine.

Yamaha could have made it easier to mix the sound through the AUX IN, but they apparently only intended it as a "play along" feature. You have to adjust AUX IN through the volume of whatever is plugged in, although that then gets mixed in with the master volume. If there is a way to assign AUX IN to a layer I haven't found it yet. If you intend to turn off the CP4 voices while using the iPad it works beautifully. If you want to have both the board and the iPad going at once, it works not so beautifully.

I suspect that the CP4 would address the iPad like any other module - as it is a MIDI controller. I haven't explored the CP as a controller yet, but hopefully there'd be a way to keep the 'Main' slider assigned internally, and another slider assigned externally.

BTW, DavidF, what exact Belkin gizmo are you referring to ? I'll want to pick up one of those...

I suspect that the CP4 would address the iPad like any other module - as it is a MIDI controller. I haven't explored the CP as a controller yet, but hopefully there'd be a way to keep the 'Main' slider assigned internally, and another slider assigned externally.

BTW, DavidF, what exact Belkin gizmo are you referring to ? I'll want to pick up one of those...

It was this thing. I guess when I said $10 I meant $15. (It worked in the car, too, which is what I actually bought it for.)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0031U1ATQ

For the other possibilities - yes, I haven't it explored it much - just wanted a quick way to get the key action working with the iPad and back through the AUX IN without noise and stopped there. I believe the CP4 has a "hidden" 4th layer that can be assigned to a pedal.

Just last night I also noticed in the manual that Yamaha recommends putting iPads and other devices in airplane mode to reduce line noise.

Archived