Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

An insight on processes unmusical - keyboard technique

Bosendorphen

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I will pass on this one ( with respect ) . My process is working well enough!

Tampering with the unconscious process via conscious thought, is not something I wish to do.

Thank you

You don't have ideas, ideas have you

We see the world, not as it is, but as we are. "One mans food is another mans poison". I defend your right to speak hate. Tolerance to a point, not agreement

:) It's about stages of development.. earlier stage, the mind is very engaged with theories about all manner of things, yes? You know this of course. I am tempted to check out new theories of how to be a better player, sure, but, then I realize, it generally is not a good idea at this stage. Something would have to simply overwhelm me, to change this opinion.

I have made playing simpler in my conscious mind.. no, I have never read and do not intend to read the Effortless Mastery book. I DID read the earlier, and similar, "Inner Game of..." books. I do not mess with modes too much, nor chord scale theory. When I hear a player play the Blues, first thing I know, this cat did not study Effortless Mastery nor Inner Game of nothing! The Blues and great blues players, are a strong support of my approach as such :wave:

We see the world, not as it is, but as we are. "One mans food is another mans poison". I defend your right to speak hate. Tolerance to a point, not agreement

Well, I think it's BS that the way you play a piano key affects the tone. Instead, I think that the way you use your hands and fingers affects the way you play a piece, definitely changing the tone quality of the results. But when the hammer strikes the string, it's the velocity that matters. (Of course, damping techniques aren't so simple.) A piano just doesn't have aftertouch.

Regardless, I don't have any argument with the idea that it's better to learn music than drills. (That said, I could benefit a lot from some good drills, and the very few drills that I have practiced have helped me quite a bit. But I'm not in the league the article is talking about anyway.)

I'm too tired right now to discuss the whole article, but the part where he advise to develop "as many methods as one have pupils" is the only one of his concepts that I feel I would embrace.

All the rest, I feel it's just too far from the praticalities of music; too many elements that should have included are missing.

Interesting to hear your viewpoints and thank you. I don't particularly agree/disagree with the various points and I'm not a teacher but just thought it was an interesting viewpoint and it would be interesting to hear others' opinions of it. Some articles are from the Edwardian era and the last article on the Long Suffering Accompanist hit home for me and was still quite relevant.

"The devil take the poets who dare to sing the pleasures of an artist's life." - Gottschalk

Soundcloud

Aethellis

I went to read it, but couldn't get past the first sentence. I mean,

The erstwhile prevalent idea that technique has only to do with mechanics, a purely automatic means toward an end, is fast falling into disuse among the intelligentsia, a fact that augurs well for the artistic standing of future musical representatives.
:freak:

I really had no interest in parsing that nor the rest. I didn't realize some of the articles are from another era, though.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

I agree with the part about practicing everything with musical expression (varying dynamics, accents, etc.), even exercises like the Czerny etude he mentions.

I have a tendency to practice exercises robotically too and have to remind myself when practicing to make what I'm playing sound more "musical".

"The erstwhile prevalent idea that technique has only to do with mechanics, a purely automatic means toward an end, is fast falling into disuse among the intelligentsia"

That's enough for me.

I'm a fairly intelligent person but it's way too early and I'm way too uncaffeinated to have to wade though such pedantic language to get to the point.

Nord Stage 2 Compact, Yamaha MODX8

I agree with the part about practicing everything with musical expression (varying dynamics, accents, etc.), even exercises like the Czerny etude he mentions.

I have a tendency to practice exercises robotically too and have to remind myself when practicing to make what I'm playing sound more "musical".

Too true :thu:

Archived