Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Highest Grossing Tours of 2013

Jazz+

Highest Grossing Tours of 2013

Veterans The Rolling Stones, Paul McCartney and Bruce Springsteen have all enjoyed some of the highest grossing tours of 2013, reports Billboard.

Bruce Springsteen's 53 live shows this year have brought in $147,608,938 ­ the fourth highest grossing tour of the past twelve months ­ while The Rolling Stones' 50th anniversary concerts have raked in $126,182,391. Paul McCartney collected the 16th biggest total gross of the year, with $69,584,403 coming in from 21 shows.

Bon Jovi have the biggest tour of 2013, making $205,158,370 from 90 live gigs. The Cirque Du Soleil's Michael Jackson production The Immortal World Tour is second on the list with a figure of $157,299,100 from no less than 205 shows.

Top 20 highest grossing tours of 2013:

1/ Bon Jovi

2/ Michael Jackson The Immortal World Tour

3/ Pink

4/ Bruce Springsteen & The E Street Band

5/ Rihanna

6/ The Rolling Stones

7/ Taylor Swift

8/ Beyoncé

9/ Depeche Mode

10/ Kenny Chesney

11/ Rogers Waters

12/ One Direction

13/ Justin Bieber

14/ Madonna

15/ Jay Z & Justin Timberlake

16/ Paul McCartney

17/ Fleetwood Mac

18/ Maroon 5

19/ Dave Matthews Band

20/ André Rieu

Harry Likas was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book." Find 700 of Harry’s piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and jazz piano tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Surprised to see Depeche Mode on there, I didn't even know they were touring. Guess that's what happens when you live in flyover country.

Should I be embarrassed to have no idea whatsoever who number 20 is?

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

yay Pink!

Depeche Mode only did 2 months in the US this year, but they're supposed to be back for more dates in late spring/early summer.

...speaking of Fleetwood Mac, Stevie Nicks said a couple of days ago that Christine McVie doesn't even need to ask to come back - just show up at the gig and get her ass onstage and it's good. :)

#20 André Léon Marie Nicolas Rieu is a Dutch violinist and conductor best known for creating the waltz-playing Johann Strauss Orchestra. PBS TV features him often.

#10 "Kenny" Chesney (born March 26, 1968) is an American country music singer. Chesney has recorded 15 albums

Harry Likas was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book." Find 700 of Harry’s piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and jazz piano tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas

+1 :idk

A bit of an acquired taste but a favourite with ' housewives of a certain age' such as my missus :)

So THAT'S where my child support money is going! (joking :))

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

I love that Dave Matthews Band can still crush it at this level. They're so incredibly under the radar now but their fan base is rock solid. I am a big fan (at least of their 90s to early 2000s output)

Kawai C-60 Grand Piano : Hammond A-100 : Hammond SK2 : Yamaha CP4 : Yamaha Montage 7 : Moog Sub 37

My latest album: Funky organ, huge horn section

https://bobbycressey.bandcamp.com/album/cali-native

20/ André Rieu

I know this artist, and was very surprised (and elated) he was in the list. I mean, when was the last time that a classical orchestra made the top 20 highest grossing acts?!?

He's playing stuff like "Memory" from Cats, in addition to light classics. Dude is selling out arenas and has an elaborate show.

I didn't know #12. Google tells me it's a boy band, never heard of them.

Interesting seeing Michael Jackson's name on this list, and at #2 even. It speaks volumes about him as an artist that an audience will come out in such high numbers to see his music being performed, knowing full well that MJ himself won't even be there. He's kicking everyone's butt from the grave.

Except for Bon Jovi, apparently, but I think I can safely guarantee that nobody will be going to see Bon Jovi shows after Jon Bon Jovi dies.

I'd like to see a list based on attendance rather than dollars. Popularity based on dollars can be skewed by upper middleclass willing to pay $200+ per ticket to see bands from the 60's, 70's and 80's.
Yeah, well, this is just like movies where they tell you how much money a movie made instead of how many tickets they sold, which would be more informative as the prices change (go up). At least gold, platinum, etc., records are based on units sold.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

To tell the truth, any way of measuring it is meaningless in one way or another. I'd like to see rankings based on consumption of green m&m's. Or how about roadies who shag the most underage gals...or subsequent years served in prison for statutory rape. Wait, did I take that too far? I can never tell. Ok, how about most talented? Oh wait, there's no measure for that. Loudest? Most Nords?

Dan

I'd like to see a list based on attendance rather than dollars. Popularity based on dollars can be skewed by upper middleclass willing to pay $200+ per ticket to see bands from the 60's, 70's and 80's.

Well, U2 has the all-time biggest tour on both of those counts: over 7 million attended the 100+ shows on their last tour (2009-2011), and they grossed about $750 million.

yay Pink!

Why?

She can sing.

So can Celine Dion. Point?

:laugh:

I think he likes the way she sings. I can enjoy Pink in small doses, but Celine Dion sends me scambling for a mute button faster than Billy Mays (RIP) hawking OxiClean. She can definitely sing, but she irritates me. This is pretty subjective, and plenty of other folks woud disagree with my opinions.

--wmp

Archived