Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

DI Box advice.

Gary75

I'm going to be using a Mini Kaoss 2 as the final stage of my setup. I need to put it into a DI. Should I get a minijack to 2 1/4" jack splitter cable or get a DI with a minijack input? Radial do a ProAV2 with that option but its pricey. Is there any reason not to use a y cable to allow for a wider variety of DI's to be used?

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I would go with the Radial AV dealy bob. Yes, that's a word...dealy bob..look it up. OK, it's not a word. Go with the radial ProAV2. It's not cheap, but it's also not overpriced. You get what you pay for. You MIGHT do ok with an adapter cable and some DI's. You will DEFINITELY have top notch audio with no ground loops or other issues in any venue, any situation, with the Radial ProAV2. Do it.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

I've said it on this forum a few times before - I did a lot of A/B comparisons of several brands of DIs. My own conclusions:

1) There is a significant difference between brands and models of DIs. I mean clearly audible differences, obvious to anyone who goes through the trouble to compare.

2) Me, I only use Radial JDI because of this. They cost an arm and leg, but are worth every penny if you absolutely need a DI.

3) The only thing I found that was close was the Countryman Type 85. But I bought the Radial instead.

No, I haven't tried every brand. No, I don't have any relationship to the company and they don't pay me anything (wish they did). And yes, this is just one man's opinion. Hope that helps some.

Tim

My opinion is that there is a whole slew of DI's that are "OK". Radial is probably double the price of most of them, but ALMOST up to the quality of the DI's that are FAR more expensive. I really think that for live applications, you can't do better for the money. Now if you need pristine at no cost, there are far better. But I won't go back to the cheapies ever. Radial just seems to be a good fit. Now JDI as opposed to ProAV2? Hard to say...theoretically Jensen transformers should be better. But a box specifically designed to match impedances of RCA consumer level signals may make a difference.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

Peter Janis (Radial's president) responded in May 2013 to this q on another forum to say Radial is Jensen's largest buyer, absorbing a large percentage of Jensen's output, are committed to using Jensen in their boxes...but demand for Radial boxes now outstrips Jensen's capacity to deliver product. Hence the need to find an additional (not alternate) supplier. Eclipse is produced by a wholly-owned subs of Radial which Radial purchased - same guys John Cuniberti was using in his Reamp product - so when Radial purchased Reamp...

So now the latest JDIs don't say "Jensen" on the outside...but one guy with a "non-Jensen" labeled JDI opened his up and found it was Jensen-equipped anyway.

FWIW....

It was my understanding that the "JDI" series used Jensen and the others did not. While Jensen are good transformers, there are also OTHER good transformers out there...just sayin'. The NON-Jensen Radials are pretty damn good.

Dan

No problem, Canooge.

Dan, yeah it used to be JDI = Jensen equipped until earlier this year (as I understand it). But I would think quality iron isn't magic or alchemy, and Lundahl and others produce quality stuff.

At the end of the day, it wouldn't matter to me if uranium-radiated gerbils were the reason my Radial sounded so good...it just does, compared to (as you pointed out) other live-application-oriented DIs.

uranium-radiated gerbils

That's the URG model.

Dan

Radial Pro D2 here +2 (stereo or two mono DI in one box). Not Jensen, but sounds better than other brands I've tried. Very solid build - probably could run a truck over it without damage (but I'm not going to try that).

Howard Grand|Hamm SK1-73|Kurz PC2|PC2X|PC3|PC3X|PC361; QSC K10's

HP DAW|Epi Les Paul & LP 5-str bass|iPad mini2

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Jim

Radial Pro D2 here +2 (stereo or two mono DI in one box). Not Jensen, but sounds better than other brands I've tried. Very solid build - probably could run a truck over it without damage (but I'm not going to try that).

:thu: Sound engineers love my Radial Pro D2. Glad to have it as my final connection between rig and FOH.

'Someday, we'll look back on these days and laugh; likely a maniacal laugh from our padded cells, but a laugh nonetheless' - Mr. Boffo.

We need a barfing cat emoticon!

I'll save up for a Radial then. Pity they are a 1/3 more expensive in Blighty. But I guess it's the same as carrying 4k of keyboard and shoving it through a Behringer amp. A gig I did this month, the PA was a nice RCF EV Presonus setup with Ipad mobile mixing. A fair amount of money, and he came over to me with a Behringer DI.....

You could also just build your own. The cost would be close to the Radial but it should save you SOME cash. And you'd know it's built well. The key is the Jensen Transformer as everyone above has indicated.

Schematics are available online. Hell Jensen even has one posted on their site:

http://www.jensen-transformers.com/datashts/dbe.pdf

EDIT: $73 bucks just for the transformer.

Korg Kronos 2 61, Kronos 1 61, Dave Smith Mopho x4, 1954 Hammond C2, Wurlitzer 200A, Yamaha Motif 6, Casio CDP-100, Alesis Vortex Wireless, too much PA gear!

I guess it's the same as carrying 4k of keyboard and shoving it through a Behringer amp. A gig I did this month, the PA was a nice RCF EV Presonus setup with Ipad mobile mixing. A fair amount of money, and he came over to me with a Behringer DI.....

That'll be me. I'll play a piano if they'll provide one - otherwise it's me with my Behringer passive DIs and a B210D.

Nice set up you have. What are you using the KP for?

I'm the piano player "off of" Borrowed Books.

It's for an interest that has taken hold the last couple of years. I want to gig on my own with my Rhodes, MPC, Akai Miniak and a couple of Kaoss Pads for sampling and fx on the fly.the MPC, KP3 and Miniak go on top of the Rhodes. The KP3 sits on top of a Focusrite Pro24 DSP which I'm using for keys input. Nu-jazz, downtempo, chill stuff.

I'll take a pic once I have finished with the voicing/tuning on my Rhodes.

Just need to practice a few lines of homie vocabulary and I should be set. Unfortunately an English accent doesn't sound do great saying 'dawg' and 'homeslice'

Thankfully I have my box set of Fresh Prince to help out.

Lol. Go get 'em. Magpie some rapper's name and put your own UK twist on it. "Fifty Pence" has a certain ring to it. Have you got a name for your new project?

I didn't see much of the Fresh Prince but I know one of the cast is currently In The Jungle.

Gary, I sucked up the cost and bought a JDI - a Dual Reflex in my case. It felt a lot of dosh for a small metal box but in reality, I've never regretted the decision quality-wise, and it is something I'll only need to buy once.

Yamaha: P515, CP88, Genos 1, HX1

For those of us with the need for a multiple DI box and mixer this is what I use - it sounds great and has great features, recommended - it is a big step up from Behringer in the quality department........

SM Pro DI8 £150-ish and available from Thomann:

http://www.smproaudio.com/images/products/diboxes/di8e/DI8E_hires_1.jpg

http://www.thomann.de/gb/sm_pro_audio_di8e.htm

Yamaha CP70B;Roland XP30/AXSynth/Fantom/FA76/XR;Hammond XK3C SK2; Korg Kronos 73;ProSoloist Rack+; ARP ProSoloist; Mellotron M4000D; GEM Promega2; Hohner Pianet N, Roland V-Grand,Voyager XL, RMI

I've got this one:

http://www.radialeng.com/r2011/images/prod8/prod8-front-back-lrg.jpg

8 passive DI's, $800. The dual inputs in each one actually mix via resistance, as opposed to those that are direct wired in/thru. I used to mix 2 keyboards in one channel, but now I just have the Kronos. I got it for my old band where I had Keys, Click, Guitar, Sax, and then from the electric drums Kick, Snare, Toms, "FX" (claps, cowbells, etc.). 8-ch XLR snake out the back labeled for FOH.

Now, it's just handy to have in the rack. Sometimes we run our own sound and use a Presonus mixer with 1/4" outs for the sends and the monitors only have XLR ins, so I run them all through the D8. Most of the time though, I'm only using 1 or 2 channels.

Dan

O/T @Losendoskeys - the GEM Promega 2 - how's it holding up and do you still use it? Toyed with the idea of getting the 3 - when the regular band I was with had a horse box sized trailer. I've seen them on EBay (occasionally) and wondered.

Hi SG

I was lucky to get an absolutely mint Promega2 which had hardly been used - I gigged it a few times and love the action and the compact 88 size. Too heavy to lug around so I bought the Kronos but I still have it, too good to let go.

Yamaha CP70B;Roland XP30/AXSynth/Fantom/FA76/XR;Hammond XK3C SK2; Korg Kronos 73;ProSoloist Rack+; ARP ProSoloist; Mellotron M4000D; GEM Promega2; Hohner Pianet N, Roland V-Grand,Voyager XL, RMI

Archived