Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Help identify a particular female composer from the mid 70's

Les Mizzell

Back in the mid 70s, the college I was attending in Albany, Georgia brought in a female artist-in-residence to work with the music program students. Though this person made a big impact on me, all these years and dead brain-cells later, I can't remember her name!

Clues:

1. She performed a number of pieces for prepared piano, including a few using contact mics triggering a small suit-case sized synth. I'm pretty sure it was a Buchla Music Easel, but not 100% sure!

2. We performed several orchestral works she had written, some using serial techniques and one with each section of the orchestra having their own tempo and time signature - and by the end it all synced up ... think Piano Phase by Steve Reich, but for orchestra.

3. I vaguely remember some musique concrète type tape/electronic pieces ...

... and I can name any number of folks it might have been up to this point, but here's the kicker, and probably biggest clue ...

4. She was an expert in ragtime (including graduate studies I think...), and played a seriously mean Scott Joplin on piano...

Ideas as to who this might be?

By the way, the stuffy "WTF is this noise?? Only CLASSICAL is REAL music" faculty there HATED HER and couldn't get her out the door fast enough when the residency ended...

Les Mizzell

----------------------------------------------

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply
By the way, the stuffy "WTF is this noise?? Only CLASSICAL is REAL music" faculty there HATED HER and couldn't get her out the door fast enough when the residency ended...

Typical... :facepalm:

When an eel hits your eye like a big pizza pie, that's a Moray.

As soon as you said Buchla, my first thought was also Suzanne.

She was the only woman composer publicly ever associated with Buchla AFAIK, and in the mid 70s was one of the few women in electronic music, along with Wendy Carlos.

I thought of Suzanne as well, although never heard she was into ragtime.

When an eel hits your eye like a big pizza pie, that's a Moray.

Laurie Spiegel wasn't a performance artist and too much into using synthesizers.

I've tried googling about the mystery composer and found some plausible matches but nothing about ragtime piano playing.

Here's one guess: Joan LaBarbara?

Perhaps it would be easier to track down people who were on the faculty there, especially if they have not-too-common names. People in academia can be easy to find online because they're typically listed on university websites. Anyhow, maybe one of those professors who despised the music would remember her name.

Michael

Montage 8, Logic Pro X, Omnisphere, Diva, Zebra 2, etc.

Trying to contact the college and/or former professors was a good idea, but seems the school no longer exists, and everybody from the music department at the time is now deceased.

But, I got some additional search ideas from the thread here. I THINK I've figured it out and I believe it to be Sorrel (Doris) Hayes. Searching for an email or mailing address now! If I manage to contact her, I'll let everybody know!

The synth looks right - it's a Buchla 200 series, not an Easel.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-onSycqOS-nc/UhpJd2WqkVI/AAAAAAAHcXQ/98hlPg_MrWs/s640/southern-voices.jpg

Sorrel Hays

Les Mizzell

----------------------------------------------

Archived