Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Magnetic Resonator Piano

frogmonkey

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Makes sounds like this with a synth and have a difficult time finding an audience. Do it with a prepared piano and you get to wear a tux and play symphony hall.........

"Think Pink Floyd are whiny old men? No Problem. Turn em off and enjoy the Miley Cyrus remix featuring Pitbull." - Cygnus64

Life is shorter than you think...make it count.

I think it's way cool. I'd love to see what a master like Emerson would do with something like that.

A younger me would have loved spending countless hours fiddling with something like this. The older me would rather play music -- but that regards my limitations, not the instrument's.

As piano abuse goes, this is very cool. Magnetic resonance is much nicer than grubby fingers on the strings. Much more interesting too. I'd love to play with one for a few hours. With or without a fine cigar. This is definitely for somebody with a lot more time and money than I have.
--wmp

Kind of like the E-Bow for guitar....except a bunch of e-bows....and a piano bar....and a whole bunch of really ugly ribbon cables and circuit boards....and a computer.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

Makes sounds like this with a synth

+1. I quite like some of the noises, but why bother with a Steinway, a load of electromagnets and a laptop? Velocity controls the basic piano attack. Aftertouch controls the "resonance" effect.

Cheers, Mike.

Mike.

Part of me thinks "One could do that with a synth much more cheaply," but the idea of making some of those sounds on an acoustic instrument is very appealing. I'm sure it would be quite pleasant to sit at that instrument.

Still, it's rare enough that I get my hands on a nice Steinway these days, that "magnetic resonator" isn't going to appear on any contract riders in the near future :)

Archived