Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Today's Apple event discussion

zephonic

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I didn't hear anything that wanted to make me run out and upgrade my iPad3 (which I use for fun) or Core 2 Duo Macbook Air (which I use for work).

I need a 27" quad-core iMac with a 1TB flash drive for $1199, for my home keyboard studio. They didn't announce one of those.

Michael

Montage 8, Logic Pro X, Omnisphere, Diva, Zebra 2, etc.

I'm a bit disappointedbut not surprisedto see the user-configurable MacBook Pros apparently end-of-lifed.

That said, a top of the line MacBook Pro with 16 GB of RAM and 1 TB of PCIe-based flash storage would make a pretty good portable virtual instrument studio.

Best,

Geoff

My Blue Someday appears on Apple Music | Spotify | YouTube | Amazon

Nice to see prices sneaking a little lower in Mac-land. Also liked that programs like iWork suite and the new OS Mavericks will be free. All good stuff....

I've already updated to Mavericks and all is well in Mac-land! I don't understand what you mean about iWorks being made free. They're still charging for it. If you mean the iOS versions you're correct. I use them on my iPhone where they're very handy to have.

Instrumentation is meaningless - a song either stands on its own merit, or it requires bells and whistles to cover its lack of adequacy, much less quality. - kanker

iLife and iWorks are free with every new Mac/iPhone/iPad.

In addition, Pages/Numbers/Keynote are freely accessible and perfectly usable betas at icloud.com

Log in with your Apple-account and you'll be able to use them just like Google Docs etc.

I need a 27" quad-core iMac with a 1TB flash drive for $1199, for my home keyboard studio. They didn't announce one of those.

Given that 1TB SSD's are roughly half that price (or much more expensive), I think your expectations are just a tad unrealistic. They'll sell you one for $2799, though.

I've already updated to Mavericks and all is well in Mac-land!

Cool. Mavericks upgrade was clean here also. :thu:

Loving the new pages/numbers/keynote.

I went with a Haswell Macbook Air instead of waiting for the Macbook Pro. Compared to my old MBP, it's a screamer. Loving the form factor but I am wondering if 8 gigs is enough. Let's see how it shakes out.

What is this 6 month development cycle? Feels like Apple is busy after a bit of a slowdown following Steve Jobs departure (RIP).

Mavericks installed with no problems whatsoever on my MacBook Air (mid 2011).

The focus in this release was energy savings. I hope to see better battery life, although mine usually stays tethered to 120VAC.

Next for me is the iPad mini. It would have been a disaster for Apple if they hadn't introduced a model with the Retina screen on Tuesday. But they did. And since it has a 4X faster A7 processor like its big brother, the Mini is THE iPad of choice for most buyers this season.

The lines will be long.

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

For those of you who have upgraded to Mavericks, can you name some apps that you use that might be of interest here? I have a few apps that are older (Logic 8, BiaB, Aperture, GB, iLok, Ivory 1, other plug-ins) and would like to avoid having to upgrade those for compatibility.

That said, I get the impression that Mavericks didn't change a lot that might affect these things at the core level from Mountain Lion (which I'm currently running).

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Despite Avid's warnings, Sibelius 7 appears to be working fine under Mavericks, as are Logic, Reason and Adobe Creative Cloud programs (I mostly use InDesign and Photoshop). The only application that Mavericks deemed 'incompatible' was Flip4Mac (used to play Windows media), and I think that's because I had a ridiculously old version on my Mac.

Studio: Yamaha P515 | Yamaha Tyros 5 | Yamaha HX1 | Moog Sub 37

Road: Yamaha YC88 | Nord Electro 5D

Ebayed my 16gig Ipad 3 last night. 16gig is just not enough for me after 3 years of owning a 2 then a 3. I just hope the RAM has been bumped up. If not, the Mini looks the better buy. The ipad is a great live bit of kit. I got rid of my Muse Receptor because I think that iPads are where it's at, or certainly will be at for live use. Combined with my Nord Stage EX makes for a great lightweight rig.

I just started an iMovie project creating the annual commemorative DVD for my son's marching band. I'm going to wait a few weeks on the Mavericks update because I'm concerned that whatever changes iMovie has gone through will either impede my current workflow, or worse, somehow corrupt my project.

Anyone mess with iMovie on Mavericks yet?

I've only done some minimal editing, but the new iMovie has new templates and it seems easier to find stuff. It's got a simpler, more practical interface, and seems to be faster at loading and manipulating clips.

(TBF, I didn't have great chops on the old iMovie ... just made a few dvd's and minimally edited stuff.) It maybe kind of cool to do it on the old platform, Back Everything UP :) and then see if the new templates are helpful.

Is iDVD still working for you guys? Apple hasn't updated that in forever. Hopefully it will still work on Mavericks.

Thanks for the info, Aidan. What version of Logic are you running?

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Joe, I'm currently on Logic 9.
Thanks. I saw a report on one site about Logic 8 having some drawing issues. Of course, I was going to create another bootable drive with Mavericks and test everything out anyway. At some point I'll get Logic X, MainStage 3, and other upgrades, but I'd rather not force it if I don't have to yet.

I don't understand what you mean about iWorks being made free. They're still charging for it.

Apparently they now come bundled with new laptop or desktop.

Thanks for the clarification FKS and zep!

Instrumentation is meaningless - a song either stands on its own merit, or it requires bells and whistles to cover its lack of adequacy, much less quality. - kanker

Archived