Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Neo Vent from a soundmans view

telecaster

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just like everyone else, I love love love my Vent, and love love love my Ashby half-moon switch. In a quest to have hammond-like sounds without dragging a B3/122 to the gig, that little box is a miracle.

Muzikteechur is Lonnie, in Kittery, Maine.

HS music teacher: Concert Band, Marching Band, Jazz Band, Chorus, Music Theory, AP Music Theory, History of Rock, Musical Theatre, Piano, Guitar, Drama.

I must say that I really appreciate all of the reviews that forum members gave to the Ventilator over the past couple of years. Based on their comments and the Keyboard review, I bought my Ventilator and a remote switcher last spring (must have been nearly the last one in stock). Though I have some attachment to the thing, I stopped hauling my Leslie 147 to gigs a bit more than a year ago.

Sometimes when we buy new gear, we are the only ones who notice a difference. Sometimes, even the musicians that I play with don't have much to say about new gear (you know how it is). The Vent has been something else entirely. I played a 2-nighter club gig with a rockin' blues band this past weekend and even "civilian" (non-musicians) audience members actually commented that the organ sounded better than it had in the past. That was a significant observation, given that the band is kind of built around the band's guitar hero. The band's guitar player gets beautiful tones, but he plays louder than hell. (No overdrive pedals for him. His secret sauce is vintage guitars and boutique amps turned to 11.) Despite that, I was easily cutting through, without breaking a sweat.

In my Leslie days, it was a rare club soundman who knew how to mic a Leslie, let alone who understood that in our band the organ should range from sensitive to aggressive and should be capable of going toe to toe with the guitar volume-wise. Too often my little ol' Leslie would end up dimed, sounding half-assed and still not loud enough through the p.a. Because the Ventilator can be run through any amp system that I want (I am using a Vent-mixer-K10 combo, with a line out to the PA, so I don't HAVE to kill myself with volume) I FINALLY have more clean/dirty volume than I've ever had in my life. I one hundred percent agree that in an amplified setting, the Ventilator does its job beautifully.

Archived