Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

"A Thousand Miles" by Vanessa Carlton

Dana.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

To me this was always a great example of a catchy riff in search of a song - a song that in this case was never found.

Vanessa Carlton never had another hit after this one either. I think she had the gift of that one riff in her and that was it.

To me this was always a great example of a catchy riff in search of a song - a song that in this case was never found.

Hmmmmm, I enjoyed listening to it.

I am curious how well the piano stays in tune when constantly rolling around like that. :laugh:

When an eel hits your eye like a big pizza pie, that's a Moray.

As a music teacher, I was really pleased when this song came out because it inspired particularly young female students, and showed them that playing piano can be "cool". I've also taught "Ordinary Day" quite a few times.

Stage: Korg Krome 88.

Home: Korg Kross 61, Yamaha reface CS, Korg SP250, Korg mono/poly Kawai ep 608, Korg m1, Yamaha KX-5

Ok - to me, here's a great example of a catchy riff that found it's song:

[video:youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hoskDZRLOCs

The riff and song meld into each other perfectly. I never got that out of "A Thousand Miles". It doesn't mean that it's bad or anything, but to me the riff and song never really worked all that well together as a whole. They feel like separate things that kind of bump into each other throughout the piece.

But that's just me...

fwiw...that 'thousand miles' piano riff was cut, edited, copied, pasted, etc. to make a track, doubt any bit of it wasn't tweaked. (yes, my source was there)

the auto-tune on the vocal is annoying as hell

Ron Fair...ugh! but he'll be glad to tell you he's a genius and lots of people will agree

P.S.

IMO, playing this riff/song is even more annoying than listening to the record, try it

Ron Fair...ugh! but he'll be glad to tell you he's a genius and lots of people will agree

I love it when these guys start their careers working with someone legit (Slayer) and progress to producing total excrement (Black Eyed Peas). $$$$$$$$

fwiw...that 'thousand miles' piano riff was cut, edited, copied, pasted, etc. to make a track, doubt any bit of it wasn't tweaked. (yes, my source was there)

P.S.

IMO, playing this riff/song is even more annoying than listening to the record, try it

LMAO, im gonna go out on a limb and say you're having a bad day today Steve :idk

-Greg

Motif XS8, MOXF8, Hammond XK1c, Vent

Rhodes Mark II 88 suitcase, Yamaha P255

P.S.

LMAO, im gonna go out on a limb and say you're having a bad day today Steve :idk

no, that was last week...just an overly silly day, just talking crap. that said, I mean what I say about not liking playing the song

Archived