Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Sound City

mate stubb

I caught the last hour of this movie last night, and enjoyed it all.

I seem to have missed most of the part about the history of the studio and all the people, but caught the part about the magical Neve console and some very good bits about collaborating with other musicians, and making decisions as you go instead of being paralyzed with choice.

Moe

---

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sound City and 20 Feet from Stardom are two of my favorite recent documentaries. Grohl's passion and sheer enthusiasm for making music really shine through in Sound City.

I just got the I Dream of Wires documentary in the mail today, I'd forgotten that I had pre-ordered it, so it was a nice surprise to see it. I hope to watch it over the next few days.

Turn up the speaker

Hop, flop, squawk

It's a keeper

-Captain Beefheart, Ice Cream for Crow

I also just saw Sound City a few days ago.

Overall I quite liked it. The history of the studio is fascinating, and the musings on the process were also quite cool.

However...[spoiler ALERT] in my opinion, I disliked the whole last fifth of the film, after Mr. Grohl purchased the Neve console and brought it to his studio. It should have ended about there. I thought the jams with famous people was somewhat awful. (The jams at least should have happened at Sound City.)

Particularly the Paul McCartney and leftover Nirvana collaboration was exceptionally gruesome. When they played at the 12/12/12 concert, it was also atrocious. Just a piece of crap song. Just my opinion, of course.

Otherwise great movie.

Archived