Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Studiologic Sledge Problem

riordian

Hi all,

i opened my StudioLogic Sledge to watch the inner structure but i accidentally unsoldered a wire and i don't know where to sold it...

Luckily my keyboard keeps working...but i can hear a relè turning on and off everytime I rotate the volume potentiometer after 30 degrees of rotation(from the 0 volume position).

I drew an image to show the unsoldered wire.

The card on the left is the card that holds the outputs.

http://13q.imghost.us/HL/Nuova%20immagine%20bitmap.png

Where can i find the schematics for the Sledge?

I could fix the problem even if I see another working Sledge...someone ever opened his Sledge? A photo of that zone could really help me out.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

More info would be nice:

1) Were you actually using soldering / unsoldering tools under the hood of your Sledge and you just don't want to disclose that?

2) Is the soldering work under the hood so questionable that solder joints can be broken by putting a bit of tension on the wire?

3) Was the wire actually soldered...or did it use a crimp connection, molex end or other means of connection?

Wondered that myself. But I would contact studio logic and get a schematic. But being that it still works I have a hunch its a ground but don't do anything without a schematic! And if you don't know what your doing then by all means send it to a proper repair facility. And yes, your curiosity voided any warranty.

Boards: Kurzweil SP-6, Roland FA-08, VR-09, DeepMind 12

Modules: Korg Radias, Roland D-05, Bk7-m & Sonic Cell

Try to speak with someone who's actually doing service on Studiologic stuff. It's unlikely that they will disclose the schematics, but if you happen to speak with some reasonable chap, he could at least point you to the right place where to resolder that wire.

@timwat

1)No, i wasn't. I just unscrewed the cover to take a look inside.

2)Yes,it could be...i could have accidentally applied the tension when i opened up the Sledge.

3)I'm not sure that the wire was soldered but i do not think that in the position that i drew could exist a wire without connection.

Also, looks like that the edge of the wire is covered with tin...but i'm still not sure.

I asked an inner photo for those reasons...or a schematic.

If the wire was soldered and pulled loose when you opened it, you should be able to see where it was soldered. Can you take some close-up pictures and post them?

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

I reckon it is the earth. These are usually fixed to the casing somewhere and can be dislodged if one removes a casing without due care - can you tell us the colour of the wire?

There is no luck - luck is simply the confluence of circumstance and co-incidence...

Time is the final arbiter for all things

But i wonder..if it is the earth wire,could this cause the problem that i wrote at the beginning of the post? I do not think so...

Removing chassis earth most certainly can have pots etc exhibit this behaviour, however as it is grey then it is not an earth and is probs not causing the glitching you are experiencing.

There is no luck - luck is simply the confluence of circumstance and co-incidence...

Might be just me, but those pics really do not clearly show anything?? Sorry, but the imagery is not the best :idk

I did my best to get nice photos.

The grey wire should be visible in all the photos, i did not take photos of the entire keyboard because the problem(i guess) is only caused by that grey wire.

P.S. Do not see the photos in your browser, download them and see with your photo viewer application...it should be more clear.

I contacted Studiologic for the schematics but they told me that they do not give them...

I know that is pretty impossible to understand where the wire was, but i hoped that someone could give me an answer or just guess(looking the position of the wire) the use of it.

So, proclaimed that understanding the original position is nearly impossible, what could that wire do?

This thread reminds me of a kid who spilled something on the carpet, and is desperately trying to figure out how to clean it up before his parents get home! :laugh: Riordian, I think it's safe to say that nobody here knows how to help you, or they would have chimed in by now.

Just take it to an authorized service tech and admit that you messed up. Yes, you'll have to pay for it yourself. And yes, it will probably void the warranty. Consider it a lesson learned and move on. :)

><>

Steve

Take to an authorized shop. I have a guess at what it is but I can't tell you what I think.

I can be wrong a lot and if I am you could could tear the **** out of things.

Pay the $45 bench fee and get it fixed. Should be a quick fix and you shouldn't need any parts. There is no way none of us knows..... You maybe one of the few cats around here with a Sledge.

How did you like the synth before you took it a part. I think it is a cool looking instrument. I have been wanting to try one.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

The potentiometer issue is not a problem that compromises the use of the Sledge,luckily i'm using it regularly.

Anyway, i thank everyone for the help and yes,i'll consider it a lesson.

I'm still not pretty sure if this issue was already present before the opening or if it is just a behaviour of the Sledge.

For now i won't get it repaired, i'll wait a few months and then i'll send it or maybe i'll just keep the instrument as it is.

It's a stupid issue!

Who knows, they could not appoint or notice that i opened it!

Moderators, you can close the post if you want.

Something that shouldnt likely hurt anything....while you got it open, touch that grey wire to ground (the case) without solderingor anything, and see ifmthe pot works right. If it does, find a good ground to solder the wire to. If not, find a service center.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

I'll try that.Sledge body is all in plastic and won't be a conductive ground,the only metal part is the power adapter holder.

Maybe it was just soldered there? Looks that the wire lenght is sufficent to reach it.

I did not take photos of the other side of the sledge.

I'll let you know and post other photos.

Still thanks.

• 2 months later...

Hello,

I have the answer to your problem :)

I just bought a second hand Sledge sunday ...

I was curious about your problem and (as always) I decided to open my new synth to see the inside :) I can't leave a synth unopened for a long time.

Guess what ? I remarked my Sledge had the same problem you described ....

How is it possible ? Well, I suggest all the Sledges suffer from the same unconnection of this wire .... BECAUSE it seems to be soldered/glued to the aluminium foil covering all the connection board ....

It seems the solder can't keep in place because of the nature of the foil (aluminium) ... maybe if you look carefully you can see the small scratched surface just behind the power switch ... I have taken pictures here ...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30259062@N07/10817047315/in/set-72157637590098426

So all you have to do is to reconnect this grey wire (in my case it's a blue one) to the foil ... I had some difficulty to keep it in position so I found a hint:

Just drill a small hole in the foil and put a screw little bigger than the hole inside ... then put your wire around the screw before screwing it completely ... and it's done.

http://http//www.flickr.com/photos/30259062@N07/10817159384/in/set-72157637590098426

Look at the pictures here :

my flickr

hope this help

dipching

CX3II.DX7.DX7IIFD.FS1R.EX5.FIZMO.ION.JV90.KARMA.MICROX.MKS50.MORPHEUS.MS20.Q+.R3.S2000.S950.SLEDGE.SY99.TG77.TX7.TX81Z.WAVESTATIONEX.WAVESTATIONSR.Z1.

http://www.dipching.com

Archived