Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Mystery Hammond

HammondDave

Is this a customized M100?

Wonderful playing by Tony Kaye....

[video:youtube]

Another great song...

There is nothing like the sound of a Rickenbacker.... Chris Squire and Bill Bruford... Amazing!

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If I had to wager I would say yes. My best guess would be a M-165 or maybe a M-162 cabinet.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

I believe this is an M162 "institutional" cabinet with a later L100 (L111, L112, or L122) inside it. The brightness tab indicates that this is not an L100/L101/L102/L103.

UK Hammond was known for building unofficial "cross-breeds", particularly as production was winding up.

Wes

Hammond: L111, M100, M3, BC, CV, Franken CV, A100, D152, C3, B3

Leslie: 710, 760, 51C, 147, 145, 122, 22H, 31H

Yamaha: CP4, DGX-620, DX7II-FD-E!, PF85, DX9

Roland: VR-09, RD-800

If it's a spinet it's the only one I have seen with a fold down top.

He does some nice things with it though. The british guys sure did come up with some interesting drawbar settings.

Another example on how important Hammonds were in popular music in the 20 th century.

Many people don't even know what a Hammond is.

It's a UK/Euro L-100 series, some of the Euro licensees made them with locking tops. Could well be a Brodr. Jorgenson (Denmark) build. One of the licensees over there built a locking-top version of the standard shallow A-100 too, different from the A-105 cabinet. There's a video from German TV on YT of Joey D. playing one.

---

Todd A. Phipps

"...no, I'm not a Hammondoholic...I can stop anytime..."

http://www.facebook.com/b3nut ** http://www.blueolives.com

Many people don't even know what a Hammond is.

BLASPHEMY!

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

It's a UK/Euro L-100 series, some of the Euro licensees made them with locking tops.

I like the look. Sort of looks like a Mellotron M400 on steroids...

I like it too. I think it's a shame that Chicago didn't copy some of the cabinet designs their European licensees came up with. Hammond Germany made M-3's with a locking top and sloping sides like the C-3. They were really sharp-looking. The HX-100 (H-100 console in an X-66-like cabinet) was another neat design the Europeans came up with.

(For anyone unfamiliar with overseas tonewheel Hammond production, Hammond would license the overseas manufacture of their instruments using internal assemblies shipped in "trays" - hence the term "tray organ" sometimes referred to - assembled by the licensee into cabinetry of their own making. They could use Hammond's cabinet designs or come up with their own. Leslie had the same sort of arrangement. All the internals were made in Chicago or Pasadena respectively, just the cabinetry and final assembly took place in the licensee's home country. Boosey & Hawkes in the UK and Brodr. Jorgenson in Denmark were big ones, there were plants in Belgium, Germany, and South Africa as well. Interestingly, licensees would often come up with add-on circuits, pedal sustain being a common add-on. There was an A-100S with pedal sustain.)

TP

It's a UK/Euro L-100 series, some of the Euro licensees made them with locking tops.

I like the look. Sort of looks like a Mellotron M400 on steroids...

---

Todd A. Phipps

"...no, I'm not a Hammondoholic...I can stop anytime..."

http://www.facebook.com/b3nut ** http://www.blueolives.com

All the internals were made in Chicago or Pasadena respectively, just the cabinetry and final assembly took place in the licensee's home country.

Funny.... seems the reverse is true nowadays... with electronics being manufactured in China and Japan, and the product being assembled in the US.

Hammond Germany made M-3's with a locking top and sloping sides like the C-3. They were really sharp-looking.

That sounds cool. Any pics?

I've never seen one in person, but I think the M-162 is by far the coolest looking spinet. However, a close second for me is an M-102; I've seen a few for sale locally; wouldn't mind having one just for sh*ts and giggles, if I had the space.

Stuff and things.

Just sold my TTR100 "portable" recently - another great British idea

(like Concorde and the jet engine) ;)http://i342.photobucket.com/albums/o430/alanjpearson/Hammond%20TTR100/DSC00020.jpg

And remember we "British" guys invented proper Hammond playing with Emerson and Wakeman \throws handgrenade\leaves room :/

Yamaha CP70B;Roland XP30/AXSynth/Fantom/FA76/XR;Hammond XK3C SK2; Korg Kronos 73;ProSoloist Rack+; ARP ProSoloist; Mellotron M4000D; GEM Promega2; Hohner Pianet N, Roland V-Grand,Voyager XL, RMI

I thought you were going to write: "throws knives...."

I thought you were going to write: "throws knives...."

Lol! :wave:

Yamaha CP70B;Roland XP30/AXSynth/Fantom/FA76/XR;Hammond XK3C SK2; Korg Kronos 73;ProSoloist Rack+; ARP ProSoloist; Mellotron M4000D; GEM Promega2; Hohner Pianet N, Roland V-Grand,Voyager XL, RMI

Also great to see / hear Bill Bruford. What great musicians!

Now I'm thinking I should have bought that mint M162 for $300 when I had the chance (good price for retail). Locking tops ARE pretty cool. I added a "bash bar" to the front rail of my L111 so that if it rolls in the van or gets carried around a corner carelessly, the bash bar takes the hit instead of the (diving board) keys.

Hammond: L111, M100, M3, BC, CV, Franken CV, A100, D152, C3, B3

Leslie: 710, 760, 51C, 147, 145, 122, 22H, 31H

Yamaha: CP4, DGX-620, DX7II-FD-E!, PF85, DX9

Roland: VR-09, RD-800

Archived