Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

76 or 88 Key Controller

podmed

I'm looking for a 76 or 88 Key MIDI controller to use on the bottom tier with my Kronos 61. I want the same "synth action" keybed. Any suggestions? Everything I see has "semi-weighted" and "weighted".

Thanks!

Nord Stage 3-88, Kronos 2-61, DSI OB-6, Roli Seaboards / Blocks, Crumar Seven / Mojo61, iOS apps, Arturia Lab 61...

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm looking for a 76 or 88 Key MIDI controller to use on the bottom tier with my Kronos 61. I want the same "synth action" keybed. Any suggestions? Everything I see has "semi-weighted" and "weighted".

Thanks!

Kronos 61 is semi-weighted. But there can be a big difference in how different semi-weighted keyboards can feel

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

I agree the marketing terminology is unhelpful. There's a number of "typical" actions:

- hammer-action/weighted

- organ/waterfall (although the shape of the key has no direct connection to the "feel" of its pivoting action).

- "premium" synth (like your Kronos 61, Kurzweil PC361, the old DX7 action etc.)

- "value" synth (like the Krome 61, Roland Juno etc.)

- "in-between" actions (Kurz PC3LE).

There is of course variability in each of these categories.

I would suggest you look for an older top-of-the-range 76-note workstation (e.g. Roland XP80, Korg Triton etc.) to act as your lower tier. 88-note premium synth actions are rare - only the Roland RS9 springs to mind, and I've not played that action specifically.

Regards, Mike

I'm looking for a 76 or 88 Key MIDI controller to use on the bottom tier with my Kronos 61. I want the same "synth action" keybed. Any suggestions? Everything I see has "semi-weighted" and "weighted".Thanks!
Generalmusic Equinox. The 76 key is synth-action; it is also an excellent MIDI controller. Hard to find though.

57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond L100P; 68 Leslie 122; Kurzweil Forte7 & PC3; M-Audio Code 61; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; GSI Gemini & Burn

Delaware Dave

Exit93band

I suggest finding a good value keyboard with good controller capabilities but also with built-in sounds. That way, if the Kronos flakes, you have something to limp on (hopefully, just while it reboots).

If you wanted a weighted controller, I'd suggest the Casio Privia PX-5S as perfect for that. For a semi-weighted board, perhaps a Yamaha MOX6, and no doubt there are a lot of other choices.

Oddly, keyboards with sounds aren't much more expensive than controller-only keyboards. My guess is that it's because the market for controllers is much smaller.

Thanks everyone. I'm looking for something with the action like the Kronos.

Does it need to have aftertouch? Any budget or weight constraints? Closest would be to try to find a Korg M3-73, but it also might be a bit of overkill!

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

I'm using the Roland A-70 and love it, though it has far more features than you need, since you can set everything up internal to the Kronos and only need to transmit the whole keyboard on a single channel. For that, the Roland A33 may be a better fit. I've looked at them, but never played, so I can't speak to the action. The A70 they call "organ weighted". It's light like the Kronos, but just feels more solid. Best "light" action I've ever played. Now sure how the A33 compares, but it's smaller, lighter, fewer features.

I should add: My rig IS Kronos 61 on top, A70 on bottom.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

Although they're not made anymore, you can still find the Studiologic TMK-88 on eBay. It's semi-weighted but has "a lovely substantial feel" (as the Keyboard review put it).

I use mine on occasion as my lower board when I have a lot to haul as it is only 13.5 lbs. Nice velocity sensitivity (although no aftertouch). No pitch wheel (just mod) but I primarily use it for piano so no biggie there. And 88 full-sized piano-like keys.

"The devil take the poets who dare to sing the pleasures of an artist's life." - Gottschalk

Soundcloud

Aethellis

Although they're not made anymore, you can still find the Studiologic TMK-88 on eBay. It's semi-weighted but has "a lovely substantial feel" (as the Keyboard review put it).

I use mine on occasion as my lower board when I have a lot to haul as it is only 13.5 lbs. Nice velocity sensitivity (although no aftertouch). No pitch wheel (just mod) but I primarily use it for piano so no biggie there. And 88 full-sized piano-like keys.

In current models, the NumaCompact (with built-in sounds) offers the same, plus pitch wheel.

(There was also the VMK-88/VMK-88+ that had aftertouch and more controls.)

. Now sure how the A33 compares, but it's smaller, lighter, fewer features.

I used to have an A33. Really liked it - light, compact, decent action. But very few features as Dan says (although I guess you don't need many with a Kronos).

If you want an amazing 76-note synth action, look for a Yamaha KX76. To me, the best-ever keyboard feel. However, have a strong back: they're built like tanks and weigh about the same.

Only thing to make sure of is that the mylar top is not broken: they're unobtanium.

One of those that I wish I never sold.

..Joe

Setup: Korg Kronos 61, Roland XV-88, Korg Triton-Rack, Motif-Rack, Korg N1r, Alesis QSR, Roland M-GS64 Yamaha KX-88, KX76, Roland Super-JX, E-Mu Longboard 61, Kawai K1II, Kawai K4.

In current models, the NumaCompact (with built-in sounds) offers the same, plus pitch wheel.

(There was also the VMK-88/VMK-88+ that had aftertouch and more controls.)

Yeah I was eyeing that Numa Compact when it came out. Quite nice but a quite a bit more money so I decided to stick with my Kurzweil SP76 (which when I bought it was about the same $$$). The Kurz also seemed sturdier if the Numa was made the same as the TMK-88 (Rubbermaid plastic). Is that the case?

Used the TMK goes for about $100 although I got mine new for $250 which 9 years ago was decent. Have to say it's held up just fine.

The original VMK had weird aftertouch issues and sliders that would push down into the plastic as you moved them from what I was reading from owners on various forums. Still when they came out there was nothing like them for the price.

"The devil take the poets who dare to sing the pleasures of an artist's life." - Gottschalk

Soundcloud

Aethellis

M-audio 88es is a barebones keyboard with a semiweighted action and slim profile.

Owned it briefly,sold because to the action was just too cheap. It migh work for peopel who're not picky about actions.

Stage: MOX6, V-machine, and Roland AX7

Rolls PM351 for IEMs.

Home/recording: Roland FP4, a few guitars

I'm in the same boat. I have a Kronos 61 and just picked up a M-Audio Keystation 88es (open box for $150 from GC). It and the Alesis Q88 are the same board, one's black and one's silver. It's a cheap synth action, but it's getting the job done. If you get either, order a power supply. They are bus powered but using it with a Kronos, you're gonna need a PS. They are also class compliant which makes them cool for iPad/iPod/iPhone controllers too. As long as you're not looking for a "piano" action you should be fine. Try one out. I couldn't find a Q88 anywhere to try but if you check out an 88es and like it, you can order a Q88.

my plan is hooking up the 88es to a laptop running Cantabile (VST host) and set all my splits, layers and combis on the laptop and use just that for rehearsals and small gigs. I'll take the K61 with me on more important jobs.

Hardware:
Yamaha
: MODX7 | Korg: Kronos 88, Wavestate | ASM: Hydrasynth Deluxe | Roland: Jupiter-Xm, Cloud Pro, TD-9K V-Drums | Alesis: StrikePad Pro|
Behringer: Crave, Poly D, XR-18, RX1602 | CPS: SpaceStation SSv2 | 
Controllers: ROLI RISE 49 | Arturia KeyLab Essentials 88, KeyLab 61, MiniLab | M-Audio KeyStation 88 & 49 | Akai EWI USB |
Novation LaunchPad Mini, |
Guitars & Such: Line 6 Variax, Helix LT, POD X3 Live, Martin Acoustic, DG Strat Copy, LP Sunburst Copy, Natural Tele Copy|
Squier Precision 5-String Bass | Mandolin | Banjo | Ukulele

Software:
Recording
: MacBook Pro | Mac Mini | Logic Pro X | Mainstage | Cubase Pro 12 | Ableton Live 11 | Monitors: M-Audio BX8 | Presonus Eris 3.5BT Monitors | Slate Digital VSX Headphones & ML-1 Mic | Behringer XR-18 & RX1602 Mixers | Beyerdynamics DT-770 & DT-240
Arturia: V-Collection 9 | Native Instruments: Komplete 1 Standard | Spectrasonics: Omnisphere 2, Keyscape, Trilian | Korg: Legacy Collection 4 | Roland: Cloud Pro | GForce: Most all of their plugins | u-he: Diva, Hive 2, Repro, Zebra Legacy | AAS: Most of their VSTs |
IK Multimedia: SampleTank 4 Max, Sonik Synth, MODO Drums & Bass | Cherry Audio: Most of their VSTs |

Archived