Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Yeezus

Dana.

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The beats were slamming on Magna Carta and I liked how it hit my ears. The Kanye sound was hurting. Might have just been the mood I was in. I should give it another pass, I've heard great things from many sources.

Kawai C-60 Grand Piano : Hammond A-100 : Hammond SK2 : Yamaha CP4 : Yamaha Montage 7 : Moog Sub 37

My latest album: Funky organ, huge horn section

https://bobbycressey.bandcamp.com/album/cali-native

I listened to about half of it and had to go do something else. Haven't bothered to put it back on since. :snax::idk:

Been digging hard on Killer Mike and El-P's Run The Jewels, though. That is tight. Saw the show last week. Had a Moog Liberation on stage, along with a couple other boards.

Kanye has always been very overrated IMHO. I fully realize that, given his popularity, I'm probably the odd one out in thinking this, but I listen to his stuff and it just seems kinda "meh" to me. I don't really get it, but that's just me.

+1 for El-P and Killer Mike. I just saw them at a festival earlier this month. For "new-ish" hip-hop, I'm also really digging on Shabazz Palaces. Their album "Black Up" came out in 2011, but I'm still listening to it a bunch.

Yeezus is raw, for sure. But I can't think of anyone other than El-P who is raising the bar. Haven't heard Run the Jewels yet. The Shabazz album is good -- one of the guys was in Digable Planets?

I respect Kanye's wit and flow as an artist. I can also understand his desire to push boundaries in that regard.

It is hard to go against how a man chooses to eat i.e. get paid. Lord knows he's gonna need all of the bread he can bake considering his choice in women...but I digress... :laugh:

IMO, Kanye will always be a Hip-Hop music producer. While he goes the bizarre, er, Pop route with his own records, I hope that he will continue to lace other artists with heat i.e. bangin' tracks. :cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

I sort of view Kanye the same way I view Puffy, which is: good producer, mediocre performer. His lyrics don't seem particularly witty to me, but musically his albums are great.

Tyler the Creator's new album Wolf is pretty good. I didn't much care for the Odd Future stuff and all those guys' various offshoots at first, but I'm starting to come around. They're some talented kids.

The biggest problem with Kanye is that he says things like,

I open the debate The 2nd verse of New Slaves is the best rap verse of all time.meaning OF ALL TIME IN THE HISTORY OF RAP MUSIC, PERIOD

Ugh.

OFWGKTA does some cool stuff. Wouldn't listen to it all day, but I was listening to MellowHype today. (Hodgy Beats+LeftBrain)

I sort of view Kanye the same way I view Puffy, which is: good producer, mediocre performer.

I couldn't disagree more. Puffy is a hack, straight up. Have you heard Yeezus? Puffy could never make that album.

I sort of view Kanye the same way I view Puffy, which is: good producer, mediocre performer.

I couldn't disagree more. Puffy is a hack, straight up. Have you heard Yeezus? Puffy could never make that album.

I'm not saying he could or couldn't. As producers, they sound have a completely different sound now. I simply have a similar opinion of both.

Archived