Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT: Greek Yogurt

whitefang

Greek yogurt sucks!

I first tried this "trendy" product a few weeks ago, and it tasted horrible. I thought maybe a way past expiration container was still somehow on the store shelves, and decided to give it another go...

It still sucked!

Oh, I like the THICKNESS and texture, but it has a sharp sour undertaste that remains as a sour AFTER taste, isn't as pleasant to MY pallett as regular yogurt and costs considerably more.

Chef Michael Symon touts the "qualities" of Greek yogurt every chance he gets on his TV show "The Chew" and has a TV ad in which he uses it in cooking in place of sour cream. But even sour cream is more pleasant to eat straight out of the tub than THIS crap! And I don't care HOW handsome John Stamos is...

Greek yogurt SUCKS!

Whitefang

I started out with NOTHING...and I still have most of it left!

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am an extremely sodium-dependent hypertensive, so I have had to come up with alternative recipes for all kinds of my favorite foods.

I have found that the color, texture and sourness of plain regular or Greek yoghurt makes it a perfect substitution for up to 50% of the mayonnaise in making tuna/chicken/pasta salad recipes. Most people can't tell I've made that change unless they see me do it.

Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: âNinety percent of everything is crapâ

My FLMS- Murphy's Music in Irving, Tx

http://murphysmusictx.com/

That`s interesting, I have a container of it thawing in the fridge right now. Hamburger buns are really hard to find in Japan and when they are there, they suck. I`ve been experimenting with various homemade flatbreads-next up is Bazlama, from Turkey. The recipe calls for Greek yogurt (which is basically nonexistent in stores, I had to order it online).

I`ve never tried it so I have no idea how it tastes. I`m pretty much take it or leave it on yogurt in general.

Same old surprises, brand new cliches-

Skipsounds on Soundclick:

www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandid=602491

Greek yogurt is supposed to be, simply, yogurt that has had the whey strained out.

You may have heard of a problem trying to dispose of this "acid whey" -- which contains lactose, lactic acid and a small amount of dairy proteins and milk salts (e.g. calcium) -- although this was blown out of proportion. For example, the byproduct of making cheese, sweet whey, could be a problem if it were mindlessly dumped, too.

I had to stop eating regular yogurt when they switched to artificial sweeteners like Aspartame. My body doesn't like it and I find the sweetness to be too intense.

My favorite Greek yogurt, Chobani, uses cane juice (i.e. sugar cane) as a sweetener. (I'm ok with my wife's favorite, FAGE, but not really big on Dannon's Oikos.)

I can't see how removing lactose and lactic acid would make yogurt more sour. I can see how replacing Aspartame with cane juice would make yogurt less sweet.

Have you ever been tested for being a supertaster? Maybe it is a bitter taste you're picking up on?

What is trendy about something that has been around longer than leavened bread?

It may be trendy to YOU, but not to the Greeks. Good grief! :-)

Anyway, you have no idea whether you've had real Greek Yogurt or not, as the stuff being branded that way varies so wildly that little of it adheres to the characteristics that should distinguish it vs. other types of yogurt.

Real Greek Yogurt is strained extensively to remove much of the liquid whey, lactose, and sugar, giving it a thick consistency, and generally packing twice the protein for half the calories.

Where it all goes wrong is when vendors start adding salt or making it fatty -- though neither really breaks the rules per se. More commonly though, Greek Yogurt is non-far, with only certain non-plain flavours being low fat (1-2% max) coming from the added ingredient (e.g. mango).

My favourite of the Zero Fat brands is Chobani, who are very healthful and flavourful and have lots of choices you won't find from other brands anyway. At the fattier end of the spectrum but also delicious are the Greek Gods branded yogurts, with the Fig being out of this world and the Pomegranate not far behind.

Greeks use a lot of Sheep and Goat Milk in their products, and Yogurt is no exception, but in California the stuff they eat seems to sour the taste too much (though I detest sweet stuff and prefer bitter and sour in general; it's the kind of sour that tastes like product that is past its sell-by date). Those products are also quite expensive.

Coconut Milk and Soy Milk as well as Almond Milk work really well for Yogurt and most of those brands are low sodium, low fat and low sugar, and not any more expensive than an average commercial dairy variety. They tend to have more of the texture and consistency of Greek Yogurt; though I've also seen ones on the runny side. I'm mostly vegan so usually stick to the non-dairy alternatives.

Over the past few years as more and more brands have made so-called "Greek Yogurt" sidelines, I have been horrified at how poorly executed most of these are. Chobani is the first to come along and get it right (I forget whether Greek Gods is new and whether they're US_based or an import). I can see how that would give people the wrong idea. You could hardly get me back to non-Greek Yogurt anymore (except for the non-dairy based Yogurts, of course).

I liken it to the difference between Gelato (true gelato; it's hard to find good gelato in the US) and Ice Cream. The former tastes "richer" but is way less fatty. With less dairy and less cream, the added ingredients ring through more strongly, ironically making people think it's less healthy because it's "so rich". Often, if not always, healthier food can be tastier than the more familiar "comfort food" varieties! The soy and coconut based alternatives tend to be more like Gelato.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

I'm so glad I've never owned a TV, so that I don't have to worry about whether something I've always known to be healthful and tasty (such as Pomegranate) is trendy or not. But shopping at the local independent greengrocer does give some hints, and the one I've noticed lately is less the Greek Yogurt prevalence (as I've been aware of Greek Yogurt since childhood, having grown up in the Boston area where there is an enormous Greek community), than the "Pro-Biotic" label.

I was curious about that, specifically because I was in Venezuela for two weeks in February and was prescribed six weeks worth of Doxycycline to stave off Malaria. I lost my appetite by the third week and was nauseous and unable to eat. So I looked into what foods are Probiotic, to offset the extreme regimen of Antibiotics.

As it turns out, it's rather difficult to achieve true Probiotic status with Yogurt due to how it is processed, so the Dannon Oikos brand is particularly misleading in its claims. But even so, yogurt can be good for an upset stomach, for other reasons. A better choice in such cases though is drinkable Kefir.

Interestingly, my entire "normal" diet at home is probiotic (dark greens, onion family including garlic and leeks, asparagus, berries, processed soy products such as miso and tempeh, and too many others to list). Yogurt can be probiotic but it is quite specific to how it was processed as to whether the cultures are still "live".

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

The "trendy" part comes in the fact that Greek yogurt, although of course being around for longer than leavened bread, has only been around the larger American market for a couple of years. Not until "celebrity" foodies started going "ga-ga" about it has anyone really heard of it. For over 40 years I've been consuming the yogurt most of us have been familiar with. And have enjoyed it immensly. For many years I have used plain yogurt as a substitue for sour cream in many applications, and have added my own sweeteners or flavorings instead of buying "ready made" pre-flavored/sweetened yogurts.

But the stuff they're selling as Greek yogurt in the American market just tastes God awful to me. Many others I know who have been long time yogurt consumers feel the same way.

But I'm an "old school" eater. I don't call them "carbs", refer to it as "smaller helpings" instead of "portion control", never think in terms of "probiotic"( is that the opposite of "antibiotic"?) or "antioxident". Still call it "roughage".

No, I can't be a "super taster". Don't have that discerning a pallett. For example: Once, a friend of mine was throwing a party and asked everyone to just bring something to snack on. My ex( it was that long ago) made a vegetable tray( "Veggie" has always sounded immature to me)with a creamcheese/mushroom soup dip that she was known for. Someone else brought a tray of cubed cheeses and crackers. Everyone else brought similar stuff. Except one guy I knew. HE brought a tray containing several bread slices and a small carafe of olive oil. When I asked what the hell THIS was supposed to be, he answered, "Simple. You get yourself a small dish, pour a little puddle of olive oil on it, get a slice of bread and dip it in the oil. There ya go!"

I asked, "You want us to eat oily bread?"

He said, "Try it out."

So I poured a small puddle of olive oil in a little plate, dipped the bread in and took a taste.

"Tastes like oily bread", I told him.

"But", he insisted, "Don't you also taste the 'pungent eathiness' of the olive oil?"

"Naw, just taste oily bread" I answered.

He muttered something about me being a heathen and put his tray on the table.

Funny thing was, after all the cheese cubes, cold cut pinwheels and vegetables were gone, people were taking the bread off of his tray, and dipping it in my ex's cream cheese/mushroom dip! NOBODY touched the olive oil...

I SHOULD, I suppose, eat healthier than I do. I might live longer. But that just might mean I'll get five more years in the nursing home!

Whitefang

I was eating yogurt every day for a few years. I preferred the Chobani Greek with blueberry, peach, or other fruits. Prior to that I preferred Dannon. I ate it not because it was trendy but as part of my diet. Later I discovered there was less sugar and carbs in an ice cream sandwich, so now I just have them once in awhile as a snack. I like frozen yogurt so maybe someone will make ice cream sandwiches using yogurt, as there is less fat in yogurt...

as far as carbs, there is no such thing as the trendy motto "empty carbs" IMHO. You are better off eating a teaspoon of real sugar-4 carbs, than a sugar substitute. A carb is a unit of heat no matter where it comes from...eat too many and if you don't burn them off, you'll only get fatter. As far as bread dipped in oil and/or balsamic vinegar, I prefer butter (or better yet, Smart Choice). When I eat sweet corn, I like it plain with no salt, pepper or butter. I also reward myself once a week with a real glazed donut (which is what I call a big wad of dough, deep fried in animal fat and dipped in sugar!) These are some of my diet and eating habits, which used to include yogurt...oh yeah, and two beers a day!

Take care, Larryz

there is no such thing as the trendy motto "empty carbs"

There is, actually: they're talking about stuff that has carbs...and essentially no other nutrients or ingredients of value.

Take a typical soda: sugars it has, and water, but nothing else your body needs. You get calories and that's it. Compare that to fresh-squeezed fruit juice- it may have the same amount of sugar & water, but it will also have vitamins and fiber.

Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: âNinety percent of everything is crapâ

I understand the concept of not having vitamins, fiber, nutrients, etc., and calling the unhealthy food and drinks consumed as having "empty" carbs and calories. I just don't agree with the term "empty" simply because carbs and calories are measurements of fuel in the food and drinks consumed. The fuel is still in there and it needs to be burned whether or not you choose a healthier counterpart. I agree that it is always better to consume the good stuff, but people also save room for desert...and "they" also take the good stuff and slather it in butter, fat, flour, salt and sugar. "They" add many of those empty ingredients and cook many of the nutrients out of the healthy food they consume, all the while claiming to avoid those "empty" calories and carbs.
Take care, Larryz

butter, fat, flour, salt

All of which- to varying degrees- have things your body needs.

...just not necessarily in the amounts we eat them in! ;)

Your body can't live without a certain amount of fats (and those in butter are better than those in margarine) or salt, and even the worst plain flour contains Thiamin, Folate and Selenium.

Side note on fats: even when cooking with non-stick cookware, a little fat- butter, olive oil, whatever works best for the particular recipe- is often a good idea: besides smell, flavor and some nutritional value, fats can help with the actual process of proper heat transfer from pot to food. This means a lower liklihood of overcooking and the resultant alteration of texture. (Obviously, this matters more for stovetop rather than oven cooking.)

You're making me hungry DannyA...don't forget to check the labels closely. On that Soda you mentioned earlier there are about 36 carbs of sugar or about 8 teaspoons. The tricky part is the serving size for those carbs is 8oz, but the can holds 12oz...so you have to add about 18 more carbs or about 4 more teaspoons of sugar. What consumers think is a poor choice up against fresh squeezed juice is even worse than they thought. Then you have those "juices" people give their kids which only contain 10% juice. Speaking of juice, I can't see why juicing fruits and veggies would be any better for you than just eating them raw. I know you're a good cook from reading your prior posts and I know I would consume a lot more of those good foods at your place...
Take care, Larryz

When I got to be 5'3" tall and 253 pounds as a graduating HS senior, I started reading labels seriously.

And sodas were the first thing I looked at. So yeah, I noticed THAT bit of shenanigans right away. I gave them up cold turkey, and went to unsweetened iced tea as my chilled beverage of choice when dining out, with milk, water and fruit juice dominating at home.

Coupled with an big upswing in my physical activity, that dietary change helped me lose 50 lbs in my first semester of college.

For juices, I usually look for 100%, but lately, I've found Izze- 70% fruit juice, 30% soda water. Makes for a nice change of pace.

The thing about juices: you get less fiber, and- in a lot of brands- a bit of fortification with extra vitamins and a bit extra sugar.

I think that extra sugar, plus the ability to serve over ice- or even frozen- is a big draw.

Plus, if you have finicky eaters, you can disguise healthy veggies in the sweetness of fruit juices.

My favorite hidden use, though, is in cooking. A good tomato juice can make for a fine addition to a soup. Citrus juices work in a lot of sauces. A friend of mine uses pureed peaches in a glaze for some of her pork recipes.

@ 5'10 175lbs I'm a skinny little rail. Only place I gain weight is in the stomach. I'm like a watermelon with toothpicks but I'm also a diabetic, so I really watch my diet and read the labels. Juices will raise your blood sugar in a heartbeat and so I eat the fruit instead of drinking it to get the pulp, skin, etc. I've been thinking about one of those infomercial juicers but it looks like a lot of extra work and I do like just eating the raw fruit...maybe like fooling the kids, it would sneak more veggies into my diet...
Take care, Larryz

Juices will raise your blood sugar in a heartbeat...

Yep- all those sugars in a liquid suspension...perfect for your stomach to absorb quickly and efficiently. You get the same kind of effect with nutrition absorption in thin soups.

Just like fruit juice could make you hyperglycemic if you drink too much, certain soups could raise my BP ridiculously fast. That's why matzoh ball soup is only an occasional indulgence for me.

Dietary reccomendations vary from person to person. The notion that drinking juices is better for you depends on the juice AND who drinks it.

My wife is diabetic, and must limit the amount of juices she drinks. Orange juice specifically. If her sugar level drops TOO low, their's enough sugars in orange juice to help with recovery. Her doctor recommends she try to avoid the "ose's" and "ol's"( fructose, lactose, sorbitol et al).

Carbohydrates need caution, too. Many types of carbohydrates, particularilly in breads, convert to sugar when ingested, and can cause her glucose levels to rise. And diet soft drinks, in moderation, are relatively harmless. Excess in ANYTHING, no matter your physical condition, is unadvised.

MY doctor is of the mind that, along with many other possible factors, the obesity problem in America started with the adding to, or replacing sugar with "high fructose corn syrup" and "corn syrup solids". His reasoning makes sense when you think of it. For example, whenever a farmer wishes to fatten up a pig, he'll usually confine it in a pen and feed it a lot of corn. Same with any other animal one wishes to "fatten up". I myself can recall a day when overweight people were derisively referred to as "corn fed". Since these high fructose syrups and solids are CORN BASED, the result is a no-brainer. And since beef cattle are fed a steady and regular diet of corn, possibly any qualities of that grain that might cause weight gain in the beef cattle is possibly passed on to the consumer through the consumption of the beef. Beef cattle naturally prefer to GRAZE and eat grasses, NOT corn. Put range grown cattle in the cornfield, and likely they'll chow down on the WEEDS that might be growing between the stalks. After all, they're called "scare CROWS", not "scare COWS"!

But none of this has anything to do with why I find Greek yogurt to taste terrible. Add the fact that if it's sweetened at all, it's likely sweetened with high fructose corn syrup or aspartame, and it's appeal is even more diminished.

But Americans will do what they ALWAYS do, and that's OVER-do. Publish an article that states doctors recommend intaking the EQUIVILENT of eight 8oz. glasses of water in fluids a day, and Americans start DRINKING eight glasses of water a day. Along with all the OTHER fluids they intake through other means. Next thing you know, my doctor's claiming he's seen a sharp increase of patients who suffer OVER hydration! Some people figure that if EIGHT glasses of water is supposed to be good for you, then TEN glasses should be BETTER!

Tell them to reduce carbohydrates, and they'll eliminate them entirely. THEN wonder why their health is all fucked up.

Look, if you like Greek yogurt, then fine. I DON'T. I was just stating an opinion. I don't like the taste, and I don't believe it's better for you than other yogurts. If it IS, the level of that benefit is negligible(sp). One only has to look at me to see I probably choose the foods I eat based on how they TASTE, rather than obsess over the health benefits. I don't hang on the opened refridgerator door and wonder, "What probiotic, antioxidant SNACK can I nibble on?" I'll leave that shit up to DAPHNE OZ.

Whitefang

But none of this has anything to do with why I find Greek yogurt to taste terrible. Add the fact that if it's sweetened at all, it's likely sweetened with high fructose corn syrup or aspartame, and it's appeal is even more diminished.

Likely, but not always. I've had Greek yogurt sweetened with honey which was very tasty, enough to get me hooked on Greek yogurt.

Scott Fraser

Well here`s the Greek yogurt recipe-took me till 2 a.m. but came out nice. Bazlama-pan-fried Turkish flatbread. It has a sourdough-like taste, vary flavorful:

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a236/skipclone1/NEC_0348.jpg

Same old surprises, brand new cliches-

Skipsounds on Soundclick:

www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandid=602491

I will say THAT much for the stuff. The taste and texture of it seems to me to be better if put to use in cooking. It's thickness would make it a better substitute for sour cream in COOKING, like in the sauce for Swedish meatballs or some gravies or sauces. My wife has a recipe for a sour cream cake that Greek yogurt would make a bit better for you. Vanilla extract is a lot like that. It makes many things you cook or bake taste better( try it in oatmeal or French toast/ pancake batter). But on it's own, you'd rather not DRINK it!

Whitefang

Archived