Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Not enough synths!

Dave Bryce

I have gotten several new synths over the last 2 years. Prophet 08 PE, Little Phatty SE w\CV Out, Taurus 3, Minitaur, MF-101, 102, 103, 104M, 107 and a CP-251. I used the Little Phatty Live for a year and a half, just took it out of the Live Rig. I have used the Taurus 3 Live a couple times and my Bass player hated me. The rest was purchased for my studio.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Been getting all nostalgic and added a D-110 and U-220 as I want to re-record some old music of mine that used them. D-110 has some nice sounds and the U-220 sounds better than I remember, but will probably program it's sounds into the D-70 (very related) and sell it. Looking at a Minitaur and Volca to add soon.

Yeah, the D70 was originally designated U70 as it had more in common with the U series than the D.

But I've been doing the same nostalgia thing with old music written on my old Kawai K4 (here's the thread). I just borrowed it back from our guitarist (to whom I sold it to in 1994) and now I want it again!

I've always been into the "poor man's version" of synths. Hence I had a Mini-Korg instead of a Minimoog, a Crumar Performer instead of ARP Omni, Korg Polysix instead of Prophet 5, Korg DW8000 instead of a Yamaha DX7, the Kawai K1 instead of the Roland D50, and the K4 instead of the Korg M1.

"The devil take the poets who dare to sing the pleasures of an artist's life." - Gottschalk

Soundcloud

Aethellis

I've always been into the "poor man's version" of synths... Korg DW8000 instead of a Yamaha DX7

This was my "poor man's version" of the DX7. Just as difficult to program as well:

http://casiokeyboardinmalaysia.com/home/cz101.jpg

When an eel hits your eye like a big pizza pie, that's a Moray.

I recall I was just at university, and had the idea to compare it for myself with the DX-7. So I went to some music stores, the big one most people in town went to had the 101, but I was spoiled with some DX-7 playing, so I never owned this Casio. Still a nice type of sound, it's mathematically a little different from FM, probably a patent thing.

I was spoiled with some DX-7 playing, so I never owned this Casio. Still a nice type of sound

I really enjoyed my CZ-101. Like the DX7, programming was annoying but the results were worth it. I had a great harpsichord sound in it and the bells were tasty as well.

I've always been into the "poor man's version" of synths... Korg DW8000 instead of a Yamaha DX7

This was my "poor man's version" of the DX7. Just as difficult to program as well:

http://casiokeyboardinmalaysia.com/home/cz101.jpg

I liked the sound of the CZ series (phase distortion synthesis vs. the DX's FM, right?) and a friend in another band had the CZ-1000.

The DW8000 was pretty easy to program despite having only one data slider; but at least all the parameters were listed on the panel! Plus it did the then fashionable DX/bell sounds pretty well but also had nice analog filter balls (and a DDL!) I loaned mine to a friend (do I see a pattern here?) but I can get it back anytime. Hmmmm... all this talk of more synths....

"The devil take the poets who dare to sing the pleasures of an artist's life." - Gottschalk

Soundcloud

Aethellis

I always felt the cz 101 had a lot more balls than the dx7 and was much easier to program, at least for me.

The worst thing about it was the keyboard, which on the one I had was beyond terrible, and not just because of the mini keys.

I miss mine actually, despite the keys.

Stage: Korg Krome 88.

Home: Korg Kross 61, Yamaha reface CS, Korg SP250, Korg mono/poly Kawai ep 608, Korg m1, Yamaha KX-5

Been getting all nostalgic and added a D-110 and U-220 as I want to re-record some old music of mine that used them. D-110 has some nice sounds and the U-220 sounds better than I remember, but will probably program it's sounds into the D-70 (very related) and sell it. Looking at a Minitaur and Volca to add soon.

Yeah, the D70 was originally designated U70 as it had more in common with the U series than the D.

But I've been doing the same nostalgia thing with old music written on my old Kawai K4 (here's the thread). I just borrowed it back from our guitarist (to whom I sold it to in 1994) and now I want it again!

I've always been into the "poor man's version" of synths. Hence I had a Mini-Korg instead of a Minimoog, a Crumar Performer instead of ARP Omni, Korg Polysix instead of Prophet 5, Korg DW8000 instead of a Yamaha DX7, the Kawai K1 instead of the Roland D50, and the K4 instead of the Korg M1.

Yep, the D-70 pretty much has nothing to do with the rest of D series, though I guess a few waveforms and the filters made it. It's really the precursor to the JV series, the JD series being a refinement of the D-70, and then on from there. Having said that, for some reason it has a sound of it's own. I can't get the same sounds out of my Jv-1080 or Fantom G despite them pretty much sharing a lot of the same waveforms.. and it has some great synths sounds. I used it from 1991-1993 (didn't own it, was in a university studio) but picked one up a few years back and realised how much I had missed it.

I know what you mean about "poor man's synths" but I guess you buy what you can I have a Yamaha TG33 I bought in 1992 instead of Wavestation (though I have that in software now), even a TG77 would have been much better, but the TG33 has a sound all it's own and it's part of my music. The Juno 106 I have is a cheap Jupiter I suppose. Got that one back in 1994 and will never part with it. Do have a DX7 though!

Recently bought a Moog Minitaur which I'm loving to bits. So good, and waaaay better than any of my software Moogs. I also got a Korg Volca, which is fun, cheap and cheerful but can do a lot of sounds, the Unison and Fifths mode are great. Not sure what's next synth wise, but I'm planning to get some classic analog pedals very soon.

Roland Fantom G6, D-70, JP-8000, Juno-106, JV-1080, Moog Minitaur, Korg Volca Keys, Yamaha DX-7. TG33, Logic Pro, NI plugs, Arturia plugs etc etc

Yep, the D-70 pretty much has nothing to do with the rest of D series, though I guess a few waveforms and the filters made it. It's really the precursor to the JV series, the JD series being a refinement of the D-70, and then on from there. Having said that, for some reason it has a sound of it's own. I can't get the same sounds out of my Jv-1080 or Fantom G despite them pretty much sharing a lot of the same waveforms.. and it has some great synths sounds. I used it from 1991-1993 (didn't own it, was in a university studio) but picked one up a few years back and realised how much I had missed it.

I know what you mean about "poor man's synths" but I guess you buy what you can I have a Yamaha TG33 I bought in 1992 instead of Wavestation (though I have that in software now), even a TG77 would have been much better, but the TG33 has a sound all it's own and it's part of my music. The Juno 106 I have is a cheap Jupiter I suppose. Got that one back in 1994 and will never part with it. Do have a DX7 though!

I really wanted a D70 when they came out but just couldn't afford it what with my new mortgage and other expenses. The closest I got to a D50 before that was the MT-32 which I had a short time before I got the K1.

I always got satisfaction out of getting the most out of the less expensive gear and the limitations often inspired me creatively. I think the most I spent prior to getting my Fantom X7 some years ago was buying the Ensoniq KS-32 in 1992.

Enjoy your Minitaur and Volca!

Soundcloud

Aethellis

I bought a vintage Moog Prodigy last month, in mint cosmetic condition, and only one technical issue with the VCA releasing too quickly, which I'll sort out at some point. As my first analogue synth it is absolutely fantastic, and I couldn't be happier, it completely blows my SH-201 out of the water in terms of sound quality.

A couple of people asked me why I didn't get a modern Moog, and that's simply because I greatly prefer having a dedicated knob for each function - which puts the Slim/Little Phatty out of the equation, and the Sub Phatty's 25 keys would be too restrictive.

Gear feeds the soul.

I adore my MS-20 Mini (purchased in September)! We all loved the original, right? Well, this one is more stable and may even sound a bit better, and costs a fraction of the price. It blows other synths in its price range out of the water, and offers real competition to Moogs that go for double/triple the price. Why someone would want a Sub Phatty instead of an MS-20 Mini is beyond me...

...That being said, you may want a Sub Phatty (or another monosynth) AND an MS-20 Mini! :P I bought a MicroBrute last month and I'm loving it. It's worth noting that both the MS-20 Mini and the MicroBrute were given Keyboard's Key Buy award! Now, I'm focused on picking up a digital piano in the early months of 2014--I'll wait to see what NAMM brings in. I'd love to see an SV-2--if not, there's a lot to choose from.

Either a three-oscillator analog monosynth or a two-oscilloator analog polysynth are next on my synth wishlist--a Prophet 08 would be very nice, for example. I'm trying to hold back from buying the Volcas.

Anyways, at the end of the day, there are a lot of amazing synths out there, and I really respect a lot of the manufacturers that are putting out analog synths (Roland/Yamaha, hop on board!), which really sounds better, in my opinion. It's the analog renaissance that I was hoping for a few years ago, when I first got into synthesizers. I remember dreaming about owning a Korg MS-20. I couldn't believe my eyes when Korg announced that they were reissuing it. I'm one happy camper. :)

~ Sean

Juno-60, Juno-G, MicroBrute, MS-20 Mini, PX-5S, R3, etc.

Started to go synthcrazy

Bought myself a nord lead 4! Very cool synth, used it for a big arena gig - bought it the same day as the first rehearsal and programmed a few patches on the spot. Had the plan to go mainstage - but didn't dare to.

Did record some HH inspired stuff while trying it out, all synths comes from NL4 in the below track. Made some good use of the new impulse morph funtion, truly innovative stuff and dead fun!

NL4 hancock inspired stuff

Apart from that mopho and my favourite moog LP tribute!

/Fred

Must say i get really nostalgic about seeing my first synth cz101 higher in the thread! Really loved that synth-remember using it to mimick the sound of jarre's laserharp. Also the way to store sounds by copying th variables to a piece of paper.

Wouldn't mind getting mine back!

fred

Must say i get really nostalgic about seeing my first synth cz101 higher in the thread!

Yeah, I miss the CZ sometimes as well. I sold it (back in the mid-80's) to a good friend who played the guitar. Never knew what she did with it.

Maybe I should give her a call...

Must say i get really nostalgic about seeing my first synth cz101 higher in the thread!

Yeah, I miss the CZ sometimes as well. I sold it (back in the mid-80's) to a good friend who played the guitar. Never knew what she did with it.

Maybe I should give her a call...

Still have mine in storage...not in the greatest shape. Has a broken key, not the original power supply, and doesn't retain memory. Can't bring myself to let go of it. Back in the early 90s I used it with a strap like a keytar. I occasionally lusted after a CZ1 or CZ5, though I also have the VZ8M, which is pretty cool as well.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

Archived