Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Kurzweil PC3X-Money for Nothing

Piano-Pete

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Apart from if I *like* so many cover band attempts (I'm not completely sure), I like the music, and also the music refered to here, so I can't help but wonder how good is the result trying to imitate the above musical intro (because that's some serious dramatic and produced music you're talking about)?

Well, I don't dislike cover bands (neither when I'm in it, or when I'm in the audience), but it is often a precarious balance between the abilities and expectations of a set of musicians, and what the covering of a song like the famous Dire Straits actually achieves.

A school band can do some actual rock-tune, which is cool. A university buff could want to do a Jazz performance of his/her favorite songs, and of course there are a lot of capable and certainly mature musicians who don't feel they can get things going as a "own material" band. But striking the balance between talent and practice, ego and audience response, and learning curve and musical results isn't always great with cover materials, and this type of music is dear to many people, so you can argue: it's easy enough, people love to hear it. Or you could wonder how good you'd have to be to do a reasonable rendering (which is: pretty darn good).

And then there is one of the higher praises to be earned for non-teenage musicians: educating the (small or large) masses, which in popular music can be left out to give us hoary and somewhat shitty music, and I don't fancy that much, even if mom and all our friends think our music is awesome.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello forum, hello Piano-Pete,

that is indeed very very nicely programmed! Congratulations. The logistics of you playing this are fun to watch in itself.

Obviously, one can endlessly discuss just how identical the sounds are compared to the original. I think you have nailed it very well (and on just one keyboard, compared to Fletcher and Clark and their keyboard castles..)

My idea / approach on this is more loose; if I had to play this with a band I'd never put in that much programming work. (Well maybe if Knopfler had called..) The rest of the band aren't that particular about the 'original' sounds either. I haven't seen a bass player bringing his Precision, his Fender, his Fretless and his MusicMan to the gig. And I'm not even talking about different amps, stompboxes etc. And it's the same with every other instrument. It's just not practical.

In the many bands I play and have played in in the Netherlands, there is a lack of technical facilities, space on stage, or the chance to rehearse with a mixer. More often there's no rehearsal at all. So the keep-it-simple tactic applies everywhere.

That doesn't mean 'be lazy about sound'. Having great sounds, knowing them well and using them well is essential. But not neccessarily authentic to the max.

Oh well, I got carried away.

Just wanted to congratulate you on the programming.

Cheers,

ensho

Archived