Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

'Meters' Hammond registrations for a Nord Electro 3?

Kawai James

Hello chaps,

I'd like to ask any of the Hammond aficionados out there for tips on achieving an authentic 'vintage' Meters organ sound on an Electro 3.

Specifically, drawbar registrations for the following tunes:

Cissy Strut (of course!):

[video:youtube]

Little Old Money Maker:

Funky Miracle:

I expect there will be suggestions to buy a Vent, or just use a real B3, however for the time being I'm just planning on sticking with my Electro 3.

For reference, here's a clip of how I currently have my NE3 set-up. Apologies for the shoddy playing, bum notes, and poor timing...I am actually a (slightly) better player than this video suggests - it's just my nerves ruin me when having to perform in public. ;(

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f3G1SLe93mE#t=3m25

Thanks in advance for any suggestions or tips!

Cheers,

James

x

EDIT: Ah, I just realised we play 'Same Old Thing' second in this clip, but still, I'm interested in 'Little Old Money Maker'. I found an iPhone recording that combines all four tunes.

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He's changing the drawbars around in all of those. Mainly going from a soft tone to one with more of the top drawbars pulled out.

Start with the bottom 3 all the way out. Then add in some of the top 2 to get that glistening sound. For the flutey gospel type sound use the bottom one out, the next 2 in, and the 4th one out, and then the top 3 out, with the highest all the way out and the other 2 not quite out as far.

Use the chorus set to 3. Doesn't sound like there is percussion on some of them but the standard setting is 3rd harmonic, soft.

Live: Korg Kronos 2 88, Nord Electro 5d Nord Lead A1

Toys: Roland FA08, Novation Ultranova, Moog LP, Roland SP-404SX, Roland JX10,Emu MK6

www.bksband.com

www.echoesrocks.com

I'm not as talented as some here sussing out the exact settings, but I can get you close.

For Little Old Money Maker, start with something close to the basic squabbling setting of 800008888. It's hollow in the middle with lots of sizzle on top. I would guess a bit less sizzle, so maybe 800000888.

Funky Miracle sounds more bottom, less sizzle but still hollow in the middle, so try 888000008 and season to taste.

Sissy Strut - start without high dbs, and little or no "rock n roll drawbar" (2nd brown one, 5 1/3). Say 838000000 or 808000000.

Moe

---

Captain Pork and Spice Boys? I love it. :thu:

In addition to what the other fellas said, you can always do your own thing, too. Use the "Kawai James" registration!

Are you playing through that Marshall rig?

Sounds good, man.

Regards,

Joe

Great stuff, thank you for the suggestions guys!

I've plugged a few of those registrations in and feel a little more confident of the sound I'm getting...fingers crossed what I'm hearing through headphones will be reproduced at the band practise. ;)

Joe P, thanks for the positive feedback too!

If I remember correctly, I believe my Nord was plugged into the PA for that performance, and my sound was monitored through the speaker in front. I could only hear myself though, which is always a challenge when trying to find the right balance with your bandmates.

Cheers,

James

x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.

In any case, you won't necessareily use the exact same registration in every venue. Different rooms sound different, and lots of us start with a preset but then nudge a couple bars until it sounds right. There really is no "wrong", just a lot of different approaches. That said, it never hurts to learn by copying the masters!

Archived