Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

This Just In......PX-5S

unclebyron

cool a little Jeff Lorber to start my day! Tune 88, is you Mike? Nice Job.

off topic: There is very cool site out there that has a version of the tune and a midi file. Though not on a px5s.

link removed due to security....

ps - hope shipping date is not slipping....

No that's not me. Although I spent a lot of time on his website taking some video lessons. That guy is a heck of a player.

The first 12 bars of his MIDI file is what we used to create the speaker demo.

Ship date has not changed. I believe the second week of April.

-Mike Martin

Casio

Mike Martin Photography Instagram Facebook

The Big Picture Photography Forum on Music Player Network

The opinions I post here are my own and do not represent the company I work for.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
One some of the EP patches, the speaker sims are assigned to one of the sliders. So you can easily change speaker sims on the fly. Other sliders control distortion levels, some control chorus, reverb. It's all pretty slick and really cool to have realtime control of effects parameters.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

off topic: There is very cool site out there that has a version of the tune and a midi file. Though not on a px5s.

http://www.groovewindow.com/2010/05/22/funk-rhodes-piano-groove-tune-88/

Guys, be very careful with that link. My anti-virus program found this:

Exploit Blackhole Exploit Kit Detection (type 1974)

MS Security Essentials also picked it up. Be careful.

chas

Legend Exp,NC2x,Crumar Seven,KeyB Duo MK111,Nord C1,Nord C2D,Triton Classic,Fantom G7,Motif ES,SonicCell,BK7m,PA1x pro,VP770,TC Helicon,Leslie 3300,MS Pro145,EV SXA250(2),Traynor K4,PK7a,A70,DM10 Pro.

Joe, you're just trying to make us feel envious that you already have one to play with!
Come to Houston and try it. I'm not holding out on anyone. :)

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

yikes - sorry guys if there is something wrong with that link - my SAM and McAfee didn't flag it at all. you could try that guys home page I guess and click on the link to the side for the clip of tune 88.

http://www.groovewindow.com

pretty funny that the demo used the midi file from that site.

No problem with the link for me either.

Joe, you're just trying to make us feel envious that you already have one to play with!
Come to Houston and try it. I'm not holding out on anyone. :)

Thanks for the offer, but the airfare would cost more than the keyboard! :)

To Mike Martin (or anyone else)

I'm not expert in digital keyboard but i'm going to come back and play with friends after some 15 years. The PX-5S is my choice and i'll take it as soon as possible.

I have a question, but the answer you will made does not make a difference in my decision to buy the PX-5S, it's only curiosity

Can I play an arpeggio or sequencer song on my (hope soon) PX-5S and send a click to my drummer's headphones?

Mike is on vacation, I think, well deserved too!

The tutorial manual p.E30 shows a table of all the sequence mixer parameters. Pan L or R is available. So, if you had a midi file with 2 tracks, and 1 of them is the click track, you could pan it to the opposite side of the music track.

What would be better IMO, is to send the click track channel out via MIDI to another MIDI module that the drummer has his headphones connected to.

Kurzweil PC4, NS3-88, Kronos 2-61, QSC K8.2's.

I was just reading this thread on the Pianoteq forums that mentions that the Previa 350 sends high definition MIDI. Is this feature also available on the PX-5S?

From a few pages earlier in this thread...

Hello, best regards, Mike Martin a question please:

I think that the velocity of the keyboard works in high resolution midi like the PX-350.

Do the knobs works at resolutions higher than 7 bits too? (e.g. 14bits?)

Thank you.

Welcome to the forum!

The knobs and sliders send standard MIDI values 0-127. Internally the resolution of the controllers are interpolated to their response is smooth when you're an adjustment to something like filter. Each Slider and Knob can also have minimum / maximum values you can you specify any range that you want it to function. Maybe just between 80-110 or 0-10, or make it work backwards by setting the minimum value to a high number and the maximum to a low number.

We'll try to get the www.ustream.tv/casiomusicgear channel running again today from 12-6pm central time.

--Sean H.

Yamaha MOXF8, Korg TR76, Novation X-Station 61, Casio PX-320

No, it does not send audio over the USB computer connection. It can record audio to a USB drive directly on the PX-5S itself.

-Mike Martin

Casio

The opinions I post here are my own and do not represent the company I work for.

I take it that was a typo and you mean't "doesn't".

I was hoping to use USB audio via the PC as a means to connect it to my high-end PC speakers. I don't have any spare analogue inputs on the amp, and was hoping to be able to go digital to the PC rather than having to bring the analogue output of PX-5S to the PC soundcard's line-in. I do have some free digital inputs on the amp - is there an S/PDIF output on the PX-5S?

is there an S/PDIF output on the PX-5S?

Nope.

Best is to get a good audio interface for PC (and Mac) interaction, Apogees, MOTU, Focusrite et rest. I also hoped for an audio USB connection but I assume it was a cost issue to add this into the unit. Maybe in future. Hoping more keyboards add this in as even cheap guitar pedals such as Zoom ones has audio USB out, not that they skimp and use 16-bit outputs.

I didn't want to post this yesterday because of April fools. ;)

There is already a firmware update planned for the PX-5S which should be out around the time units hit the stores here in the US.

Highlights include:

- Polyphonic Portamento

- Added a second break point for filter and amp key scaling

- Momentary/Toggle option for pedals

- Additional waveforms added for use in HexLayer patches (6 varieties of Sawtooth, more than 10 varieties of pulse...etc)

- Improved EQ

- .Wav file playback adjustable volume.

- Zone and Layer on/off switch from pedal/knob/slider

- Real-time filter response smoother

...and more. I'll have more info in the next week or so.

This will be a downloadable update that is performed by putting a file on a USB thumb drive and updating directly from the PX-5S front panel.

-Mike Martin

Casio

Here is a quick video I did tonight. Just me messing with a stack some of the new waveforms and features like polyphonic portamento that we'll have in firmware v1.10.

[video:youtube]

-Mike Martin

Casio

I like it! What I liked about the Nord keyboards was the fact that you could adjust everything on the fly with knobs, sliders and buttons (no menuing system which is pretty much impossible when playing live). But now, PX-5S seems to offer that same functionality (and more) at a fraction of the price!

PianoManChuck

Authorized reseller: Casio, Dexibell, Kurzweil, Nord, iLoud, Viscount

Keyboard Reviews +

Does the ADSR work on the Piano 1 ?

Harry Likas was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book." Find 700 of Harry’s piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and jazz piano tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas

I like it! What I liked about the Nord keyboards was the fact that you could adjust everything on the fly with knobs, sliders and buttons (no menuing system which is pretty much impossible when playing live). But now, PX-5S seems to offer that same functionality (and more) at a fraction of the price!

The great thing about products like Nord and Korg's SV-1 is that there are controllers that are fixed for particular things.

The PX-5S is different and it is also a bit a of a chameleon with the variety of sounds it can produce. The knobs/sliders can do anything you want them to do. For the factory Stage Settings we came up with a methodology that we repeated throughout similar categories of sounds. It does make it a little challenging the first time you play the PX-5S but you'll get it quickly (I hope). :)

-Mike Martin

Casio

The factory stage settings have a nice consistency. Most of the time, I know what slider is reverb, chorus, etc.

For fun, I set up a stage setting to control my Electro rack, where the six sliders are the first six drawbars on the Electro, then I mapped the last three to the three right hand knobs. Also, because this forum has made me a crazy person, I mapped the mod wheel to fast/brake instead of the usual fast/slow. :) I would have put that on the pedal, but that's not in this version of the firmware.

This is a fun board, and I've barely scratched the surface of it.

Archived