Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Roland V-Combo VR-09

And it's not just Roland, King Korg and low-cost Kromes... What are they thinking, Japanese companies? They were famous for their excellent hardware. Sigh. Of all the companies Casio is doing excellent hardware today with their low-cost products, who would have thought....

If you are using software organs, the problem is there *aren't* any organ controllers that I know of other than that Studiologic...and I've never actually seen one. It's gotten some pretty bad reviews. That's what decided me on a Korg cx3--good sound for live and good midi for home use controlling software. Problem is I got one of the first 500 and it had a bad double-trigger issue but that's another story!

I guess I'm one of the few that thought the vr09's keybed wasn't bad. It felt just like the Juno Stage. I prefer it to the m50/krome for sure. For reference my favorite keybeds are that of the m3 and the fatar tp9 in my Virus and pc361.

I guess I'm one of the few that thought the vr09's keybed wasn't bad. It felt just like the Juno Stage. I prefer it to the m50/krome for sure. For reference my favorite keybeds are that of the m3 and the fatar tp9 in my Virus and pc361.

there's more than a few of us that don't mind the keyboard! I have no problem with it, I've played on much worse, and I don't expect a Cadillac keyboard for under $999!

The keyboard is fine from my perspective.

Craig MacDonald

Hammond BV, Franken-B (A100 in a BV cabinet), Leslies 122/147/44W, Crumar Mojo, HX3 module, Korg Kronos, VR-09, Roland GAIA, Burn, Ventilator

For $999 I would expect at least the same quality of a key bed as let's say the Arturia Keylab.... Instead, the VR-09 is close to iRig Keys with somewhat bigger keys. But hey, if it's fine, it is fine. I would not waste my money but all this is subjective, anyway. And the best is to try out a VR-09 before purchase so it's not a surprise.

PS: The local GC had a Fantom on sale for key and its key bed was far, far superior to VR-09. I'm still surprised how Roland after all these years manage to make less quality keyboards based on all the know-how inside the company. Most likely this is a cost-cutting feature.

I think they all do this, I know I liked my Motif better than the mo/mmx keys, m3 vs m50, etc. For me the best thing about the vr-700 was the keys, so I'd be inclined to get that instead, either used or on sale...heavy though it is...though I don't think it has the synth ability of this one (?)

What I'd really like is the rd64 with the synth and organ from this one! In fact just come out with a vr09 weighted instead of two different products and I'd get one today since I'm looking out for a shorter weighted board...

! I have no problem with it, I've played on much worse, and I don't expect a Cadillac keyboard for under $999!

But look at the new Casio PX 5S... That instrument has an excellent WEIGHTED 88 note piano action keyboard and they still hit then same price point of $999...

If Casio could do it, why couldn't Roland?

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

I think it's funny and interesting to see so many posts that say, "Sure, the [X] keybed isn't great, but at least it doesn't suck as bad as the crappy [Y]!", where both X and Y are either the VR or the Krome. Personally I'm firmly in the X=VR camp, but the forum seems roughly equally split between the two.

I guess I'm one of the few that thought the vr09's keybed wasn't bad. It felt just like the Juno Stage.

Totally different actions. The VR has the same action as the Juno-G, Juno-D, and A-49. The Stage has the same action as the Fantom.

If or when you ever transition to a vst based gig rig, by using a VR-09 as the controller you have sounds available in the VR-09 in case your rig goes down.... And the VR-09 is only marginally more expensive than a good quality controller..

Then why not just get a XW-P1? It's cheaper, keybed is just as good(or bad), a better controller, and has built in sounds in case the rig goes down.

Casio PX-5S...StudioLogic VMK 161 Organ Plus...

The organ on the XW-P1 completely sucks.. on the other hand the VR-09 organ is very good. If you're at all fussy about your organ sound, you wouldn't want to use the casio organ.

Craig MacDonald

Hammond BV, Franken-B (A100 in a BV cabinet), Leslies 122/147/44W, Crumar Mojo, HX3 module, Korg Kronos, VR-09, Roland GAIA, Burn, Ventilator

If Roland comes out with a VR-18 with decent keys I will revisit the product. Not before. Good sounds, awful key bed. And there's more than just plain sounds, you want to also have fun playing it. Might as well get a Microkorg as it has pretty good sounds, not so nice key set and half the price.

The organ on the XW-P1 completely sucks.. on the other hand the VR-09 organ is very good. If you're at all fussy about your organ sound, you wouldn't want to use the casio organ.

I'm commenting on your suggestion using the VR-09 as a controller, in which case the sound of the organ doesn't matter.

The XW-P1 is a better controller for half the price. The internal sounds are only for emergencies.

I don't know whether or not the Casio is a better controller, I only know that the organ sucks so bad that I wouldn't want to use it, even in an emergency. My point is that the VR-09 is so inexpensive that you could use it as a controller and have a good quality drawbar organ for emergencies.. There may be other options but none with a drawbar organ that I would be satisfied to play for under $1000 (certainly not new, used there are lots of options but not new). Again, excellent sounding drawbar organ new for under a grand, and it has lots of uses!

Craig MacDonald

I don't know whether or not the Casio is a better controller, I only know that the organ sucks so bad that I wouldn't want to use it, even in an emergency. My point is that the VR-09 is so inexpensive that you could use it as a controller and have a good quality drawbar organ for emergencies.. There may be other options but none with a drawbar organ that I would be satisfied to play for under $1000 (certainly not new, used there are lots of options but not new). Again, excellent sounding drawbar organ new for under a grand, and it has lots of uses!

But why would anyone want to use a crappy diving board keyboard for a controller? That's my question... The VR 09 is a cheap Swiss Army knife keyboard. A lot of mediocre sounds for under a grand, using short sample loops for the most common EP sounds, etc... I am sure it sounds decent in a heavy mix of screaming guitars.... An emergency keyboard when all other options have broken down... One step above playing harmonica... (OK... Even I think that is going a bit too far)

Apples and oranges, my friends... Buy a good controller and hook it up into Mainstage... Use VB3 as your Hammond and use the included Logic instruments, Neo Soul Keys, Alchemy, VKS samples, and Animoog... and your done....

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

"Does anyone know how well the XW-P1 works as a midi controller for VB3? My WK-7500 can only control VB3 with keys and the footpedal as it only has USB out (unless I'm doing something wrong). Can the XW-P1 drawbars sliders be assigned to the VB3 drawbars and percussion and CV controls be assigned to any buttons? IIRC the XW-P1 does not have an expression pedal input?

[Re: Bossbandbob]

Mike Martin Offline

Platinum Member

Works great. Just put it in organ mode and the sliders transmit standard CC's. even the knobs can be assigned, front panel switches for percussion and rotary and more."

It is a better controller for half the price!!

Needmorebass, maybe you can take a minute and explain to me how the Casio is a better controller for vb3 when it doesn't have an expression pedal? Expression pedal is a pretty basic requirement for drawbar organ..

Craig MacDonald

Craig,

I think the point is that the XW-P1 sends CC's for the sliders while also having buttons and knobs available for other parameters (CV, Distortion, Percussion...etc) There are ways to add a volume pedal to the XW-P1 and use it to control VB3. Adding sliders/drawbars that are ergonomic, may not be as easy. Just my $.02

-Mike Martin

Casio

Mike Martin Photography Instagram Facebook

The Big Picture Photography Forum on Music Player Network

The opinions I post here are my own and do not represent the company I work for.

My point is that if it doesn't have an expression pedal input it's not going to be a BETTER controller for VB3 at half he price...it's really not going to be a good controller at all for VB3, period. There are solutions to this but they will add significantly to the price, and then it will still sound like crap if you have to use it in an emergency!

Craig MacDonald

Needmorebass, maybe you can take a minute and explain to me how the Casio is a better controller for vb3 when it doesn't have an expression pedal? Expression pedal is a pretty basic requirement for drawbar organ..

Hmm, maybe I'm a novice with organ playing but I never needed an expression pedal.

Hmm, maybe I'm a novice with organ playing but I never needed an expression pedal.

N'uff said!

Craig MacDonald

Reading this thread is like watching the movie Ground Hog Day. But not as funny.
:laugh:

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Reading this thread is like watching the movie Ground Hog Day. But not as funny.

It does have it's moments though!

John Cassetty

"there is no dark side of the moon, really. As a matter of fact it's all dark"

Reminds me of one of the last gigs I played... The house had a B3 with a spring loaded expression pedal that returned to its up position if you ever took your foot off of it (of course I did not realize this until we took the stage)...

The problem was that the organ was raised about 5 inches for the player before me which made it necessary to stand and play... And since my foot had to be on the pedal for any volume to come out, I had to stand on one leg for the entire 45 minute show!

I used to do it when I was 18, but at 56 its a little more challenging.

Also discovered that the previous organist broke the E above middle C on the upper manual during his set! Oiy!

I have been watching these posts from day 1.....nothing but panties in a wad.....mostly from the "hip" B3 dudes and keyboard elites. Craig has nailed it.....the '09 is what it is....a 12 lb. keyboard that works for the 99% who will be buying it. These are the buyers who want to punch up a good organ, piano, EP, etc. No fuss, no muss...and for $999 IMHO nothing else comes close. They could care less if it does not have waterfall keys or whatever....this is a plug and play unit. Take it to your band rehearsal, take it to the jam. Crank it up in their bedroom. I predict it will be a huge success for Roland. Period.

No fuss, no muss...and for $999 IMHO nothing else comes close.

And that settles that!

You hip elite types can just take your Casio's, and your Kross', Kromes, Hammonds, Yamaha's, Kurz's, and your quality keybeds, and whatever other elitist stuff, and muss and fuss with 'em all night long for all anyone cares. You can't just punch up good sounds on those things without all the muss and fuss, and you know it!

Kinda off topic, but the worst keyboard I've ever played was a Rhodes Stage 73 that I owned long ago. Loved the sound but hated the action. Have played a few that had better action though. Just my opinion.

Just a bit of what is going on here with the VR-09.

John Cassetty

"there is no dark side of the moon, really. As a matter of fact it's all dark"

No fuss, no muss...and for $999 IMHO nothing else comes close.

And that settles that!

You hip elite types can just take your Casio's, and your Kross', Kromes, Hammonds, Yamaha's, Kurz's, and your quality keybeds, and whatever other elitist stuff, and muss and fuss with 'em all night long for all anyone cares. You can't just punch up good sounds on those things without all the muss and fuss, and you know it!

Just call me a "Hip Elite"... fine with me

I don't mind being called Hip Elite if this forces Japanese keyboard companies to make better key beds for their keyboards instead of assuming that people will just suffer and even pay for it. Roland really needs to get their act together, after all it has to keep up with its reputation.