Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

O/T urban myth or ...?

stillplaying

Gigging way north (again) last night. Watched Game Of Thrones recently and it feels like we gig beyond the wall and drive home past the Dire Wolves.

Anyway - really long drive up and back and the guys are drinking and talking. I'm Irish and one is talling me about this bonkers Sligo connection through an uncle - crazy coincidence after crazy coincidence.

This is one of the stories his (Scottish) uncle told the family at a family get together. The uncle who now lives in Sligo is on a weekend away in Dublin. Big U2 fan. Hes in a restaurant not a fancy one is drinking but he and his dining partner are convinced that Bono is eating nearby with a male companion. After half an hour of it is him it isnt him nonsense, Bono goes to the toilet and the uncle has enough Dutch courage to pop over and ask. The guy says it is Bono, is really nice about it when the uncle goes on and on about how big a fan he is and asks if Bono would mind signing an autograph and blah blah. Bloke is really cool, says Bono is a decent guy no problem. The uncle asks if hell ask him as hes too freaked at the whole thing.

Bonos guest agrees photos, quick chat autograph. Fab. Bono and the diner have long gone when his drunk uncle is getting the bill. The waiter says its covered. His uncle says to the waiter the its the greatest night of his life. Meeting Bono, photo, autograph hes have settled for a glimpse and now Bono has paid his food and drinks bill.

The waiter says Actually Mr Springsteen paid your bill sir.

I so want this to be true. Never heard the story before. Is this an urban myth that any of you have heard before?

Anyway goodluck to my fellow giggers wherever youre out tonight.

I'm the piano player "off of" Borrowed Books.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I found this version:

Was looking for some news about U2 and found this story--amazing, right?!

A girl was in a restaurant in Dublin a few weeks ago with her friend, they were seated and about to order when the manager came over and asked them if they wouldn't mind moving as Bono was on his way in and that was his usual table. He said he would tell Bono that they moved for him. They didn't mind at all, moved, and a while later, in came Bono and a few other guys. Shortly after, a waiter brought the girls over a drink from Bono as a Thank You for giving him the table.

After a while, (and after a few drinks) the girls got the courage to go over and ask for an autograph and a photo. Bono obliged and the girls gave their camera to one of the other men at the table to take a photo, which he did.

They were happy and went back to their table and Bono and gang left before they did. When they were leaving, they went to pay for their meal but it had already been paid for. They said to the waiter that that was very generous of Bono to pay for their meal and he said it wasn't Bono.......the man they had gotten to take the photo was Bruce Springsteen, but the girls had no idea, and he paid for the meal!

Don't believe it. Nothing on Snopes about it. I think I've heard this story before though, which makes it even less believable.

You want me to start this song too slow or too fast?

Forte7, Nord Stage 3, XK3c, OB-6, Arturia Collection, Mainstage, MotionSound KBR3D. A bunch of MusicMan Guitars, Line6 stuff

Archived