Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Led Zeppelin "Celebration Day" movie

tarkus

I saw the movie last night. I really enjoyed it. I thought everybody played great, the song selection was excellent, and the band totally rocked.

dB

agree 100%

Btw, Jason kicked total ass...did his dad proud.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Im excited to get my hands on the dvd. I wanted to go see it on the big screen after hearing you guys talk about it, but it only ran for one showing on 2 screens, yesterday in all of Chicago. WTF.
Hitting "Play" does NOT constitute live performance. -Me.

There's nothing like seeing it on the big screen. Great sound, great mix...nice and loud...it was killer at the theater I saw it at.

Very concert like. Really good.

I agree - found myself applauding after each tune

There's nothing like seeing it on the big screen. Great sound, great mix...nice and loud...it was killer at the theater I saw it at.

yes. In the theater I was in there was applause after every song. That made it even cooler.

I saw the Zeppelin movie last night in Philadelphia (King of Prussia). Had no expectations going in and I thought it would be a fun night out with a friend. Just learned about the special theater event this week.

I WAS BLOWN AWAY. It was LOUD and the big screen made it much more fun. A friend who saw it in NJ the night before said that the audience had to yell for the theater folks to turn up the volume. No such problem in Philly.

Page must be Gibson's best salesperson (Les Pauls galore) and Jones is likewise for KORG. Overall, geat fun. There is no substitute for watching that concert on the bg screen.

One critique: The editing was a little jumpy - I wished the cameras would stay on each scene a little longer.

Steve Coscia

The whole audience did when I saw it. :rawk:

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Professional Affiliations: Royer LabsMusic Player Network

Well geez, I've missed it then. I assumed it was on here in LA for a week, but it was just wed and Thursday. Thought I could catch it tonight. That's what I get for assuming and not researching. As for BCC, I'm a Glenn super fan so I'm on his sites daily well aware of the blowup and , sad to see what's happening with BCC. To build up a successful brand in two years and then destroy it seems incredibly stupid. We will see what's next, hopefully thus lunacy blows over.

Well geez, I've missed it then. I assumed it was on here in LA for a week, but it was just wed and Thursday. Thought I could catch it tonight. That's what I get for assuming and not researching. As for BCC, I'm a Glenn super fan so I'm on his sites daily well aware of the blowup and , sad to see what's happening with BCC. To build up a successful brand in two years and then destroy it seems incredibly stupid. We will see what's next, hopefully thus lunacy blows over.

Agreed, the BCC albums were some of the best rock records of the last few years IMHO, and I was hoping to see them live someday. Too bad they seem to have gone the way of all bands...

Turn up the speaker

Hop, flop, squawk

It's a keeper

-Captain Beefheart, Ice Cream for Crow

Zep are Hacks. They stole most of their good music. (Blasphemy, I know)

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

Zep are Hacks. They stole most of their good music. (Blasphemy, I know)

Not blasphemy. Everyone's allowed their own tastes, of course.... :idea:

It could be reasonably argued that quite a lot of music is influenced by other musicians. LZ, during the movie, pay homage several times to some of the ones that influenced them. I guess you must play all original music and all original licks - that must be cool. :thu:

I do have to say - coming into a thread where people are talking about how much they enjoy and band's music just so you can take a piss on the band and the people who enjoy their music is an interesting choice, though. :idk::rolleyes:

Would it be okay with you if those of us who like Led Zep continue to talk about the movie now? :poke:

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Professional Affiliations: Royer LabsMusic Player Network

Actually I enjoy Zep as well. Did not like the sound of the Yamaha in the clip. Would have preferred a Mellotron .

There is a difference between being influenced by someone's music and out right stealing it.

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

Jason has three new albums out with Black Country Communion, the third is out on Oct 30. Saw two shows with him last year and BCC. Looking forward to seeing the movie Sat night.

BCC is done. They have called it quits....or rather Bonnamassa has said "no touring" and is putting out his 4th album in 2 years, so Hughes is calling foul. See: they really ARE a band!

Reading the words of producer Kevin Shirley it appears that Hughes might have driven Bonamassa away.

Zep absolutely stole huge chunks of songs, it went WAY beyone influence. Plenty has been written about it.

But I could never bring myself to call them hacks, they're still amazing to me.

I'm a huge Zeppelin fan, and I find their early disregard for crediting their sources pretty troubling. But, in each of the tunes they "stole", they managed to adapt it to their sound, which I fell was very original for the time. I've heard the original "Dazed and Confused", and it doesn't hold a candle to Zep's version. Zep took the Willie Dixon tunes and those by other blues guys, and took them to very different places than the original artists would have. So I can't write them off as thieves or hacks either.

Turn up the speaker

Hop, flop, squawk

It's a keeper

• 4 weeks later...
Yeah, JPJ isn't a midi guy: so what you see is really what you get. Can't wait to see it myself! I was listening to the Song Remains the Same version of No Quarter the other day, and it still totally works, and Jimmy Page is killing on that song.

Saying they stole most of their music is a pretty clueless thing to say, while a song like Dazed and Confused was clearly not theirs there are others like Stairway to Heaven which the theft claims are very thin, the intro's are similar but that's it, hardly a song theft, and as for the blues songs well who really cares? sure it was low to not give the old guys their due money but it's a blues song, very hard to say who really wrote anything, and otherwise Led Zeppelin has mountains of great songs all their own.

Saying they stole most of their music is a pretty clueless thing to say, while a song like Dazed and Confused was clearly not theirs there are others like Stairway to Heaven which the theft claims are very thin, the intro's are similar but that's it, hardly a song theft, and as for the blues songs well who really cares? sure it was low to not give the old guys their due money but it's a blues song, very hard to say who really wrote anything, and otherwise Led Zeppelin has mountains of great songs all their own.

Gee, I dont know, THE BLUES ARTISTS? Guys like Willie Dixon and Howlin Wolf were just this side of destitute, and their families sure could have used the money. Then of course theres that little thing called ego which deserves to be rewarded and recognized when you create music. Not to mention that the first album is a watered down version of Jeff Becks Truth.

So lets recap the instances of theft, shall we?

1- The Lemon Song = Killin Floor by Howlin Wolf/Travelin Riverside Blues by Robert Johnson/Crosscut Saw by Albert King.

2- I cant Quit You Baby and You Shook Me: now correctly credited to Willie Dixon A two fer!

3-Bring it On Home-now, years later, credited to Page/Plant/Willie Dixon (who was uncredited for lyrics until litigation)

4-How Many More Times- chunks stolen from Booker T & The MGs The Hunter (Albert King, artist)

5-Dazed and Confused-uncredited to Jake Holmes (who settled out of court)

6-Black Mountain Side-Credit says Page, but in fact, its a complete lift of Black Water Side by Bert Jansch.

7-Stairway To Heaven-bears some resemblance to the guitar riff in Taurus by Spirit.

All in all, thats a pretty impressive criminal run, no?

And pay attention to #6, its the most obvious of all the thefts, really not open to interpretation or rationale.

Gee, I dont know, THE BLUES ARTISTS? Guys like Willie Dixon and Howlin Wolf were just this side of destitute, and their families sure could have used the money. Then of course theres that little thing called ego which deserves to be rewarded and recognized when you create music. Not to mention that the first album is a watered down version of Jeff Becks Truth.

So lets recap the instances of theft, shall we?

1- The Lemon Song = Killin Floor by Howlin Wolf/Travelin Riverside Blues by Robert Johnson/Crosscut Saw by Albert King.

2- I cant Quit You Baby and You Shook Me: now correctly credited to Willie Dixon A two fer!

3-Bring it On Home-now, years later, credited to Page/Plant/Willie Dixon (who was uncredited for lyrics until litigation)

4-How Many More Times- chunks stolen from Booker T & The MGs The Hunter (Albert King, artist)

5-Dazed and Confused-uncredited to Jake Holmes (who settled out of court)

6-Black Mountain Side-Credit says Page, but in fact, its a complete lift of Black Water Side by Bert Jansch.

7-Stairway To Heaven-bears some resemblance to the guitar riff in Taurus by Spirit.

All in all, thats a pretty impressive criminal run, no?

And pay attention to #6, its the most obvious of all the thefts, really not open to interpretation or rationale.

Not really no, LZ has an enormous catalog, what you have there is a very small list, and again, using a little blues riff/lyric from some old song is hardly stealing, they're busted for a couple of things like Dazed, so I'm not claiming them to be totaling innocent, but it's really silly to write them off as thieves.

LMAO7 instances of theft is a small list. If Wall Street ever goes to trial, theyll be looking for your participation in the jury. 7 instances of theft is not a small list, its 7 too many.

I only have 5 albums of original material out, and you know how many songs I stole from someone else? NONE. To be fair, things like My Sweet Lord/Hes So Fine happen, they drift into your subconscious and you forget youve heard them. Id categorize Stairway To Heaven that way. But those other cuts? Hmmm, maybe a mistake made by new artists inventing it as they go. But hey, they did it again on the next recordand then the next record, and then a few years later, theyre doing it again.

You can rationalize it all you want. But youd be deluding yourself.

Check this out:

[video:youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z0OYZm4RhFE

Then check this out:

[video:youtube]

Just picked this up and am watching it for the first time as I write this. Just got through Trampled Under Foot, and I am enjoying the hell out of the show! Man, JPJ, always my favorite guy in the band, sounds positively fired-up playing with Jason. Great stuff.

Turn up the speaker

Hop, flop, squawk

It's a keeper

• 1 month later...

Watched it over Christmas break with some friends at my house with the music turned WAY up. Everyone loved it, even my wife.

The dropped keys were musical, and should have been done back in the day. Lots of keyboard playing (at least half the show), and all in all, a great concert.regardless of how much it was fixed or dressed up.

Trampled Underfoot though.does anybody else hear the studio version as being played major by JPJ? It sounds strange played that way on this dvd, and of course Jimmy doesnt go major on it.

I found it strange that JPJ needed the Korg X50 on top of the OASYS. Anyone know if midi was involved, or were the OASYS and X50 standalone units? And what was the bass pedal module being triggered?

Have to admit, when he plays the pedals on NoQuarter, and other songs, the groove change manages to make the band sound even sleazier (in a good way!) than when hes playing bass.

HIGHLY RECOMMENDED.

Watched it over Christmas break with some friends at my house with the music turned WAY up. Everyone loved it, even my wife.

HIGHLY RECOMMENDED.

Agreed.

Got it for a Christmas present. Not only my wife loved it when we watched it too but both her sisters did as well! If my wife don't love my music "I know her sister will."

Hammonds:1959 M3,1961 A-101,Vent, 2 Leslies,VB3/Axiom,

Casio WK-7500,Yamaha P50m Module/DGX-300

Gig rig:Casio PX-5S/Roland VR-09/Spacestation V3

http://www.petty-larceny-band.com

Great article in Sound on Sound magazine on the mixing of the music for the DVD.

According to the article, the only keyboard sources were the stereo outs on JPJ's two Korgs (Oasys and X50) and the bass pedals. They reamped keyboards, going through a custom amp and speaker in the studio the fatten up the keys sounds for the final mixes. I had heard that they had sampled all of his original sounds into the Oasys, but not sure if that's true. They did sound great in the movie.

Archived