Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

clone question

rockkeys

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's a great price on the CX, I'd grab it.

Most people seem to like the Hammond XK1 better than the Korg, I was among the seeming minority who preferred the Korg, but either way, I think the Vent on either one will beat the other Vent-less, and probably reduces the differences overall. The Korg's disadvantage would be that it is heavier, but it has the extra drawbars and is more tweakable.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

It depends your personal view of things. In my world view the biggest differences are the interface and the keybed. You are probably going to use the vent for OD so soundwise they should be should all work fine.

In my book dual drawbars are a huge advantage. Having real time control or dual sets of drawbars and being able to switch between them is necessary. Without them I would have totally rethink how I play organ. I like the preset keys on the XK3.

Ignoring price and strictly as for clone usage I would take XK3/ 3c or CX-3 over the other two just as a clone. If I wanted a general purpose light weightboard the SK looks cool. To me an SK is not a clone per se, it is more than that.

But if all you play 888800000 or 888000000 then buy the cheapest.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

I have had CX-3s, XK-3, and XK-3cs. Honestly the Vent sounds better with the Korg especially using Chorus 3. On the XK the vent kind of fucks up the sound. Hammondave had some suggestions for the Chorus 3 when you ventilator but it still sounded bad.

"Danny, ci manchi a tutti. La E-Street Band non e' la stessa senza di te. Riposa in pace, fratello"

noblevibes.com

I used an XK1/Vent combo for a couple years. Fucks up the sound? Negative. But the Hammond stuff has a hotter output, so you have to taper back the output into the Ventilator.

Same with the SK1.

Money not being an issue, Id go with the XK1, for space and weight considerations. But if dual drawbars are your thing, the Xk3/CX3 are great candidates, and it will likely come down to the feel of the keyboards. (I never got along with the XK3 keyboard.too light a touch for me.) I was never in love with the later CX3s because they sounded a bit toppy/thin for me, but thats just me. Horses for courses.

If money is an issue, a CX3 for $600 for the win.

Enjoy!

Hitting "Play" does NOT constitute live performance. -Me.

Six bucks and my right nut (Del Griffith...anyone???) says that this turns into a multi-page clone war...
These clones are replicas....very good replicas. They are filled with helium, so they are very light. ;)

I was never in love with the later CX3s

what do you mean by "later" cx's? was there a difference in the sound? I know that the original digital version had a piano style key, but was unaware of any sonic differences. Please explain.

The original CX3 came out in the 80s. It was analog. It was fine for its time. The later CX3, which you refer to as Ver 2, is digital and came out much later (late 90s?). I never loved it. But it was head, shoulders and knees above the analog version.

Hitting "Play" does NOT constitute live performance. -Me.

what do you mean by "later" cx's? was there a difference in the sound? I know that the original digital version had a piano style key, but was unaware of any sonic differences.

The first digital CX3 was not waterfall, but I wouldn't call it piano style... It had a bit of a protruding curved lip. (I actually prefer the feel of that keybed to the later waterfall style.)

They also came out with a 2.0 software -- I believe simultaneously with the change to the waterfall keybed. But you could load the newer software into the older units as well, you can dl the updater from their web site. It added some new editable parameters, and it also did make a tonal change, but there was a menu option that was supposed to to duplicate the original tonality as well.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

To be clear... There are three cx3 models... old original analog, the first digital, and the revised digital with the waterfall keys (and 2.0 software, which could also be loaded into the first digital)

That's a great price for the Korg. I actually had a chance to get one and I actually liked it. Then along came a XK-1 for 800.00 I bought it instead, the sound is good enough I can play it as is with existing SIM or through a 142 or a 122. I am thinking about a Vent. I think you'll want/need a vent for the Korg so 600 + 450, 1050 I think its a good combo.

Do it. The CX-3 has the best feel of them all, and rocks with a Vent. Also the extra weight is justified by the real estate on top for a synth etc. without the dual tier stand bullshit.

Here for the gear.

I used an XK1/Vent combo for a couple years. Fucks up the sound? Negative. But the Hammond stuff has a hotter output, so you have to taper back the output into the Ventilator.

Same with the SK1.

Money not being an issue, Id go with the XK1, for space and weight considerations. But if dual drawbars are your thing, the Xk3/CX3 are great candidates, and it will likely come down to the feel of the keyboards. (I never got along with the XK3 keyboard.too light a touch for me.) I was never in love with the later CX3s because they sounded a bit toppy/thin for me, but thats just me. Horses for courses.

If money is an issue, a CX3 for $600 for the win.

Enjoy!

Maybe the Ventilator is fine but I don't think it worked well with the XK-3C all the time. There was a thread about it a year ago.

"Danny, ci manchi a tutti. La E-Street Band non e' la stessa senza di te. Riposa in pace, fratello"

noblevibes.com

Finally decided to abandon my analog cx/bx and upgrade to the digital. The waterfall keys and the editing capabilities are too good to pass up. I guess I'm about 12 years behind the game, but all of the audio I've heard of the new cx/bx through a real leslie/vent sounds good enough to my ears.

Archived