Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

I bought a Hammond SK1

HSS

I bought it used on Friday and I've been playing / learning it via headphones in a hotel room in LA in between family obligations.

Wow... It's got that fat B3-like sound of my XK1 packed into just 15 pounds and, as some other posters have indicated, I'm already getting used to it's "fader" drawbars. I'm anxious to get the SK1 home this evening and play it live through one of my Eon 15 G2's and/or my Motion sound KT80 (tube pre-amp). I don't have a gig tonight but I may hit a jam with it to give it a quick road test.

Through headphones, IMHO the SK1's EPs sound quite good, with some bite and bark. The APs sound OK, but a little tinny. But I just want the AP's to be passable in a band mix. The keyboard action does seem a little tighter and stiffer than my XK1, just as I remembered when playing it in the store.

Gigs: Nord 5D 73, Kurz PC4-7 & SP4-7, Hammond SK1, Yamaha CK88, MX88, & P121, Numa Compact 2x, Casio CGP700, QSC K12, Yamaha DBR10, JBL515xt(2). Alto TS310(2)

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think that the sound through headphones on my SK2 is so extraordinarily good that I plan to try using headphones as monitor on next live gig. Eliminates some of the variables of room ambiance and provides a consistent and familiar sound. Enjoy your SK2.

Wear it out, Scott! Nothing better than playing on an instrument that really inspires you. We'll want to hear a gig story or two. :laugh:

Many thanks Brad... I did a 30 minute road test last night at a pretty lame local jam and the SK1's AP's and EP's worked really well in a loud mix. Of course, the B3 was totally there. Needless to say, set up and tear down were painless and fast.

Gigs: Nord 5D 73, Kurz PC4-7 & SP4-7, Hammond SK1, Yamaha CK88, MX88, & P121, Numa Compact 2x, Casio CGP700, QSC K12, Yamaha DBR10, JBL515xt(2). Alto TS310(2)

I just want the AP's to be passable in a band mix.

They are more than passable IMO. I really dig how they work in a band context..!

The AP's have sounded good enough for me, especially in a band mix. The dissappointment has been in the touch-to-sound connection when playing APs. Really a struggle for me to get any nuance. But mostly it's not being used in situations where nuance is called for.

Gigging: Crumar Mojo 61, Hammond SKPro

Home: Vintage Vibe 64

+1 on the Velocity Offset parameter. I discovered this yesterday when my new SK2 arrived; there was an addendum sheet included with the owners manual describing this function. Until then, I was unaware of the Velocity Offset capability on my SK1. It really helps me quite a bit for piano voices. This point probably belongs in the Hammond SK1/SK2 Tips & Tricks thread.

Here it is:

New Velocity Offset parameter added

I think the discussion regarding the way some of the voices sounded in the SK-1 Leakage topic in May of '11 and how boosting the velocity value via MIDI software for the XK-3 & '3c Extra Voices brings out the attack harmonics of notes and other mechanical sounds of the instruments was the reason the parameter was added to the SK's.

Velocity adjustment

JMcS... Thanks for the tip. Dialing up the velocity offset to +1 did indeed help with the SK1's AP and EP dynamics. This trick will help when I'm feeling lazy and I don't want to bring my RD300GX, Casio PX-330, or even miniscule Kurz SP4-7 for a lower AP / EP board.

Scott,

Are you familiar with JMcS' cool thread SK-1 and 2 Tips, Tricks and Other Cool Stuff? You'll probably want to check it out.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Thanks for the heads-up Joe... I'll take a look.

Archived