Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Any news on the Casio PX-150, PX-350, PX-850 Digital Pianos?

joemmi

I have gigged a px 330 for 2 years & have been well impressed with sounds ,action & reliability, only downside the rather short decay in the upper mid section,this is most noticeable when playing slow sustained pieces, I have got around this problem by buying a Roland Bk 7m ! (used, so not silly money!) Absolutely fantastic Pianos , a backing section to die for , Audio record etc,etc & when Midi out of px330 potential for 256 note Poly & still only Megalight to carry around. No Brainer! Much better solution than a px 350 ( which while an improvement Still has not fully resolved short decay problem!)

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The P-105 does seem like a good option. As Anotherscott has mentioned, it basically should be compared to the PX-150 which would retail for about $599, same as the P-105.

The P-105 would have a few rhythms and pianist styles and probably better speakers, though it's the sound thru external speakers which I would be keen on.

The PX-150 does have the latest key action of Casio with three sensors whereas, the P-105 has the mid level GHS key action.

The PX-350 is comparable to the Yamaha DGX 640 at the $799 price point. Both have ensemble features with the difference being in Tri sensor key action and 128 polyphony of Casio vs Yamaha GHS action and 64 polyphony.

The weight of the Casio is 11.5 kgs vs 20.5 kgs(without stand) of the Yamaha.

Really wonder how Casio manages to offer their latest weighted action and still keep the weight down. Must be the plastic they use.

The PX-350 is comparable to the Yamaha DGX 640 at the $799 price point. Both have ensemble features with the difference being in Tri sensor key action and 128 polyphony of Casio vs Yamaha GHS action and 64 polyphony.

More differences than that... the Yamaha has no standard MIDI jacks or line outputs

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

How would you rate the PX-330 / PX-130 Trisensor key action to the GHS action of the P-95 (since these are the models which are being replaced).

I know that there will be difference of opinion on this, but what I'm interested in is the quality of the keys and the expression and playability.

How would you rate the PX-330 / PX-130 Trisensor key action to the GHS action of the P-95 (since these are the models which are being replaced).

I know that there will be difference of opinion on this, but what I'm interested in is the quality of the keys and the expression and playability.

I happen to have preferred the GHS action over the PX330, but as you say, there are differences of opinion, and I know for a fact that there are people who will say the reverse. There's no way to know which you will like better without trying them. But I am hopeful that the new PX350 keybed will be better than either!

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

I wonder how this will compare to some of the more expensive Yamahas like the CP300 which I love.

Well, it will be 45 lbs. lighter. That's a deal-breaker level point of consideration for me, maybe not for you.

I just gigged my PX3 through a single DXR8 last week and had two piano players come up during the set break raving about its sound at the back of the room.

LX88 , because have had access to pre release PX 850 ( which I believe has same sample as PX 350) However IMO the PX Stage Pianos beat the opposition in their price range hands down! I find the cheaper Yamahas while having reasonable Piano samples don't respond to expressive playing like My PX 330 , but the BK 7m just moves you completely above this class of DP ( & it's extremely editable!)

Daviel, I find the decay problem not an issue with Kawai, Roland, or upmarket models from most others, but Casio have previously used the same samples/sound engine on all models only changing features/ cabinets/ amplification etc, so any shortcomings in the sample are in every model . I would think new px's will still all use same (new) sample !

This is the first time I have heard of the Roland BK 7m. Is this a new module of some sort?

I don't see alot of modules these days, and certainly have never come across this one.

I did get a Roland RD 300 GX a couple years ago on a total fluke. There was a gear junkie near me who was going for a Nord Piano 88 and was having a hard time unloading the RD300GX- no one knew what it was, apparently.

I have come to appreciate this Roland over time,particularly after working on bass lines and using a bass/piano split a lot.

I am curious to hear more about the BK7m though. There hasn't been much discussion about it that I have seen on this forum.

I have a BK-7m its an arranger module. I got it for doing some computer work for a friend. It has some of the Roland Super Natural sounds on it. I too have it hooked to my PX-330, the Natural Piano is much better than the Casio AP sounds. It also has a nice Vintage EP and Super Natural Tenor sax. Its arranger functions are an order of magnitude better than the accompaniment styles in the PX-330. I use it to practice, and for giving me some ideas for composing. Its street price is about $1000 so the sounds better be better than the stock Casio!

It also can playback wav, midi & mp3 files from a flash drive.

I went on a cruise and there was a duo of steel drum & violin that used one for backing tracks. They are also a popular sound module for use in Roland V-Accordians and one man bands.

Here is a video of a guy who uses one with a Yamaha HX-1 Organ, He is using a style and the SN Sax:

[video:youtube]

Okay back to CASIO now :laugh:

Boards: Kurzweil SP-6, Roland FA-08, VR-09, DeepMind 12

Modules: Korg Radias, Roland D-05, Bk7-m & Sonic Cell

Casio had an event in NYC yesterday with some or all of these models, and a special one I heard about but don't want to say just in case.

Any reports from the event would be appreciated!

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Hey Joe,

Yes we had all of the models at the launch event last night. We start shipping the PX-150 at the end of this week and the PX-350 at the end of the month.

I managed to get a few forum members into the event at the last minute. Unfortunately Mizu's invite got lost in cyberspace (really sorry).

The "special one" I think you're referring to is the XW-P1 a gold finish. It is a limited edition, only 200 in this color and it should be in stores in October. Guitarists shouldn't be the only ones that get color variations to choose from. :)

Tom Brislin was one of the performers last night. He has a new CD out and played most the tracks from it. He was unbelievable. I highly recommend the CD.

-Mike Martin

Casio

Mike Martin Photography Instagram Facebook

The Big Picture Photography Forum on Music Player Network

The opinions I post here are my own and do not represent the company I work for.

This is a forum (the forum overall, not this thread particularly) about keyboards. You can talk about your wood/metal/felt thingy if you like. :)

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Daviel & all , Thanks for welcoming me to Forum ,Sorry not trying to have a go at anyone, I know a good acoustic is better than any Digital , but unless you are someone like Elton John with an army of Roadies & Tuners You can't use one for gigging as I have to do !!

Back on topic, the PX-350 is definitely of interest to me. My marketing gimmick for next year's wedding gigs is "free white piano". No matter how great the Stage is, the fact is that brides want stuff in their room which looks nice.

The PX-350WE on its matching stand with pedal attachment, with a white piano bench, would certainly fit that bill.

At the moment, I must admit I'm veering towards the Kawai ES7, even though it's heavier and more expensive, simply because it's more photogenic and there is no denying that there is something of a residual snobbery about the Casio name which can put people off.

That said, I'm not making a final decision until the Casio puts in an appearance at a shop near me.

Studio: Yamaha P515 | Yamaha Tyros 5 | Yamaha HX1 | Moog Sub 37

Road: Yamaha YC88 | Nord Electro 5D

I liked the ES7 on my first go around. Don't know how that would be moving it with the dedicated stand though.

No white piano for me in the foreseeable future though. :) But I do think it's a good marketing idea for weddings. Although here in LA people are pretty casual for the most part. Certainly not as picky about those kind of things as places like SF, NY or probably London. More cultured people there... :laugh:

Hey Dave, yeah, moving it's going to be a slightly trickier experience. I'm guessing the stand and triple pedal attachment would need to be transported all rigged up as one piece, with the keyboard itself bagged. But if I can do that (may need some sheets and duvets in the back to protect it), there are really no more pieces than I'm taking in at the moment, and I may get away with just the internal speakers in some very small rooms.

Thomann are doing a nice bundle on the lot at the moment (with a white adjustable bench) for about 1300UKP, so not a bad deal overall.

I'll be keeping the Stage for other uses, however, including band gigs. It's the solo wedding breakfast bookings where the look is key.

Studio: Yamaha P515 | Yamaha Tyros 5 | Yamaha HX1 | Moog Sub 37

Road: Yamaha YC88 | Nord Electro 5D

Daviel & all , Thanks for welcoming me to Forum ,Sorry not trying to have a go at anyone, I know a good acoustic is better than any Digital , but unless you are someone like Elton John with an army of Roadies & Tuners You can't use one for gigging as I have to do !!

If you can, please report back when/if you get a chance to actually play a PX350...I'd be very interested in your opinion.

I find personally the P95 could be a little stiffer than the PX130. However, I find the bounce back on the PX130 somewhat quicker due to that.

Also, I believe the P95's action is a little more graded than the PX130. However- as others have said the speakers on the 95 have grown on me after time- especially after I started listening to them through Senheiser HD280's.

Now, although I might find the P95 more realistic in terms of the piano sound and action, I find the expression and playability better on the PX130 due to better speakers, better piano variations and better editing (briliance settings).

Through headphones the P95 is superb, but with the speakers and dynamic sampling, I am leaning more towards the 130 when I am playing.

Because I am enjoying the 130 so much, I am more than certain I am going to purchase a 350 for the improved keyboard, piano sounds, and additional speaker.

I find that the 105 is not offering as many significant upgrades and therefore I am leaning towards selling the 95 to replace with a 350.

I agree with the above.... I really like the P95 with a good pair of headphones.

In fact when I am hearing it in store I often prefer it to some considerably more expensive DP's.

I actually gigged on a P95 a few weeks ago and miked the speakers rather than using a mono signal. The proximity effect of the Shure 58 worked well for this and gave it a fat and even sound.

Back to Casio.... we will find out soon how it stacks up to Yamaha. I'm hoping, really hoping it does because I want to see keyboards under 1000 dollars rule the world.

Archived