Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Amazing 4 Year Old Piano Virtuoso

Jazz+

[video:youtube]

Harry Likas was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book." Find 700 of Harry’s piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and jazz piano tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, out of 6+ billion people on the planet, you're bound to come across someone who can do this. Mozart was said to be a prodigy at 4, so why not this child?

Amazing that someone took the time to teach him such advanced stuff at such an early age - we (educators) usually don't start kids on piano until 2nd Grade or so due to immaturity /attention span issues.

And I agree with Reid - he's not "better than any master" if he's playing mostly stuff that's flourishes and such in a I-IV-V pattern, but it's still very impressive for such a young child.

Muzikteechur is Lonnie, in Kittery, Maine.

HS music teacher: Concert Band, Marching Band, Jazz Band, Chorus, Music Theory, AP Music Theory, History of Rock, Musical Theatre, Piano, Guitar, Drama.

I cannot understand how a 4 year old can produce that level.

Harry Likas was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book." Find 700 of Harry’s piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and jazz piano tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas

What pieces is he playing?

Especially good starting at 1.38

WOW!

He's really having fun too!

My friend's son - 4 years old - speaks four languages - Spanish, Portuguese, German and English. I speak Italian around him to throw him curve balls. He gets a serious look on his face and then laughs... a minute later he's imitating me.

The next day his mom calls me telling me he's speaking Italian to everyone... and not Peter Griffin Italian... :)

There is another video on YouTube where that boy, Alex, is playing Bach Invention No. 8 (BWV 779). Not an easy piece and one where it is essential that one separate the right brain from the left brain - in other words you can't let your left hand know what your right hand is doing! Very impressive, but as Outkaster pointed out, I wonder if he'll be burned out by the time he's 15. Nevertheless, he plays with joy now.

Muzikteechur is Lonnie, in Kittery, Maine.

HS music teacher: Concert Band, Marching Band, Jazz Band, Chorus, Music Theory, AP Music Theory, History of Rock, Musical Theatre, Piano, Guitar, Drama.

I believe if he continues playing for 'fun' throughout his childhood and teens he will be awesome. The minute it changes and the focus becomes him being a 'prodigy' he will burn out. Hopefully his parents will just let him grow up naturally and let him create and explore music on his own terms!

The video title doesn't give me much hope.

Boards: Kurzweil SP-6, Roland FA-08, VR-09, DeepMind 12

Modules: Korg Radias, Roland D-05, Bk7-m & Sonic Cell

I cannot understand how a 4 year old can produce that level.

He is gifted. Some folks are just born with it. :cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

He is gifted. Some folks are just born with it.
While I *might* agree some are predisposed to this sort of thing, I really believe there's always more to it than that. For one, he has a piano in the house. Two, do either of his parents or older siblings play? How many times do we hear the story of a musical "genius" or "prodigy" that had someone else in the house playing when they're little that they copied?

Of course, I'm not trying to take anything away from this kid, who can play better than me, and is looking like he's having more fun, too. I hope he continues having fun with it like he looks like, and if he does, he will go far if he wishes.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Of course access to a piano and a source to learn from is a prerequisite. Knowledge doesn't come from thin air.

"I lived in Japan: a pet of my master Yoshi, mimicking his movements from my cage and learning the mysterious art of Jinjitsu"-- Splinter

Funny when I got my black belt in Hapkido, it never occured to me I could learn everything I needed just watching others ;)

Boards: Kurzweil SP-6, Roland FA-08, VR-09, DeepMind 12

Modules: Korg Radias, Roland D-05, Bk7-m & Sonic Cell

The folklore idea that a child prodigy is destined to burn out is nothing more than the wishful thinking of non-prodigies.

I believe that the psychologists here in the group would confirm that the literature shows that, while prodigies often have adjustment problems as they grow up, most grow up to be happy, successful adults who are no more likely to burn out on their childhood prodigious ability than the rest of the population burns out on their childhood interests.

A list of child piano prodigies that are still productive as mature un-burned-out adults? It would be very long. Martha Argerich? Daniel Barenboim? Gary Graffman? Evgeny Kissin? Lang Lang? Yuja Wang? I'm tempted to say that there are so many successful former child prodigies at the piano that the odds are stacked against you if you weren't a child prodigy.

Larry.

He is gifted. Some folks are just born with it.
While I *might* agree some are predisposed to this sort of thing, I really believe there's always more to it than that.

You're entitled to that belief but at 4 years old, this kid is playing stuff that folks with decades of piano lessons and degrees in music still cannot play as well. :laugh:

Art Tatum, blind from birth, had parents who were both musicians but he was "a child prodigy with perfect pitch...Tatum learned to play by ear, picking out church hymns by the age of three, learning tunes from the radio..."

Musically, some folks are born with an ability to listen to and reproduce the sounds they hear. IMO, being able to do so at a high level and at a very early age with or without technical instruction is a gift. :cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

You're entitled to that belief but at 4 years old, this kid is playing stuff that folks with decades of piano lessons and degrees in music still cannot play as well. :laugh:
That's because their own brains are in their way.

Art Tatum, blind from birth, had parents who were both musicians but he was "a child prodigy with perfect pitch...Tatum learned to play by ear, picking out church hymns by the age of three, learning tunes from the radio..."
I've highlighted the two key phrases in your quote. Art Tatum was blind, all he could do was listen. And what did he listen to? Music from his parents.

Look, I'm not saying these kids aren't special. What I'm saying is that I believe that nearly *anyone* could learn to do play at a seemingly ridiculous young age, given the right circumstances. Is there "nature" involved? Yeah, could be. Is there "nurture" involved? There always seems to be.

Maybe this kid is better than other kids at the same age with similar circumstances. That would be an interesting comparison.

Isn't it true that kids exposed to multiple languages at that age just learn them? I have no doubt it's the same for music. As you get older, it gets harder for a number of reasons, both for music and language.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

I love this kid. He looks both genuinely talented and well nourished musically. You don't easily find such a combination of coordination and musicality at his age. Imagine to play a keyboard that's about twice normal size; it takes a big power of conceptualization, sense of distance, inner ear etc. to handle it.

*And* he seems to enjoy himself, which is the most important thing. I just hope his parents could handle the very difficult tast of letting his talent grow, without breaking his human development.

I think the implication is that he plays as well or better than any master did when they were only age 4. The boy is quite phenomenal.

Archived