Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Strat vs "Strat"

Dannyalcatraz

More to the point: I own only one Strat parts-o-caster, which has Deaf Eddie's "Fat-O-Caster" switch retro-installed. Any Strat w/o a Fat-O is worthless to me. Unsolicited testimonial, disinterested party except for being a customer, etc...

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If I want to play Strat I play the same old 4 bolter Strat I got used when I was in high school.

Here is an picture someone took at a club gig about 4 years ago. I've had some other Strat but this is the one I have kept.

http://www.tdpri.com/telephoto/data/500/Strat9.jpg

My favorite copies have been the ESP series 400 strats and Teles from the 80's.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

it's all about tone...that's why most of us strat guys play strats. they don't sound like any other guitar.

take any strat style guitar, and they won't sound the same or play the same as a real strat.

personally, i could give a shit what the construction and finish are, i make a living with my hands not from people's eyes...

it all comes down to the sound. my favorite strat of all time is an indonesian made squire II strat with a huge crack in the solid swamp ash body...that thing is as fat as my les paul tonally, but still delivers stratty goodness in spades.

my only advice is go out and play a bunch of 'em, and see what you like...

you'll never get that chimey ass bell tone out of any other guitar. but...you can get a lot of other guitar's tones out of a properly set up strat.

but the main reason i think i love a strat the most is simply the location of the volume knob, simple, elegant, and perfectly placed and useful..

didn't read the whole thread, sorry, gotta get ready for an all-day benefit gig, and sooooo much to do before downbeat tonite at 10.

but the main reason i think i love a strat the most is simply the location of the volume knob, simple, elegant, and perfectly placed and useful..

It's funny but that's the only thing I don't like about Strats as it is just too close to the 1st string for my liking...I find I bump it off at times and lose my volume...I'm not a volume swell kinda player either...I have one Strat set up with the volume control further down and I like it the best of all my other Strats...otherwise, I agree with all your comments PinkJim and I know great players such as yourself put that volume control to good use... ;)

Take care, Larryz

Oh, yeah, in my honest and humble opinion the Strat's volume-knob location is excellent, an advantage to be taken advantage of. :cool:

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

Well then, you should quit playing that LP with the volume knobs so far away! and you might as well forget about playing a Tele as well...(but for the rest of you out there, I'm only kidding)...there is no doubt that almost every Strat player but me loves the volume knob location...One of my buddies has a stock Strat (forget which year but I'll guess around '72) with one master volume and one master tone knob set a little further down from the 1st string...I now have one (not stock) with the same set up as I really like it... :/
Take care, Larryz

Well then, you should quit playing that LP with the volume knobs so far away! and you might as well forget about playing a Tele as well...(but for the rest of you out there, I'm only kidding)...there is no doubt that almost every Strat player but me loves the volume knob location...One of my buddies has a stock Strat (forget which year but I'll guess around '72) with one master volume and one master tone knob set a little further down from the 1st string...I now have one (not stock) with the same set up as I really like it... :/

I make do with my Les Paul; I can still do volume-swells with my pinkie on one or the other of the volume-knobs. Though I would like a 5th knob, a Master Volume, located closer to the bridge and bridge-pickup, and a pan/balance-pot for both pickups, so that the knobs described a "W"... One of the volume-pots could instead be a blend/fader pot for a middle-pickup or a piezo-saddfle-pickup... :cool:

And on a Tele, I like the control-plate reversed with the volume-control put first, then the tone-knob, with the selector-switch towards the tail. Terrell can tell ya! :D:thu::cool:

:rawk:

Yeah, I like the Tele with the plate reversed to get away from the selector switch too!! (with the volume knob in the forward position) although Roy Buchanan could do some master-level volume swells very well with just the old stock setup...the Strat with two knobs was made in '84 (not '72)...not sure if there are other years that Fender made the two knob, but they have to be a collector's item. I think they may have been made at the Fullerton factory??? I'll have to ask my buddy what year his is as he was a dealer for many years and still plays his... :D
Take care, Larryz

I'm new here, but I've been playing a '79 Fender Strat that I purchased while in high school on 48th street in Manhattan, ever since it was selected after going thru 30 or 40 of them. Leo Fender got it right the 1st time. The design is argueably the most copied design in electric guitardom, minor improvements, some hot-rodding by manufacturers like Suhr, Jackson, Charvel, ESP, Anderson, etc, ad infinitum. The basic design, the body shape, neck and headstock shape,forearm bevel, belly cut, just right on the money, virtually unchanged for 60 years, with the aforementioned tweaks. Tremelo upgrades to OFR, SSS p/u, to HSS, HH, HSH, you get the idea.

I now also have a Les Paul, SG, Jackson Soloist, Ibanez Jem, RG & Artcore, Carvin ST300,and other various models, but love my strat for the magic it provides.

Here it is from a July 4th 1992 gig on a pier in the Hudson River right before the Macy's fireworks display.

http://i843.photobucket.com/albums/zz358/GoneScrappin/bandshot.jpg

I introduce Lestrat

http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/mm183/Lokair/IMAG0319.jpg

http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/mm183/Lokair/IMAG0320.jpg

http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/mm183/Lokair/IMAG0321.jpg

http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/mm183/Lokair/IMAG0322.jpg

http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/mm183/Lokair/IMAG0323.jpg

Its actually a nice combo of parts

Lok

1997 PRS CE24, 1981 Greco MSV 850, 1991 Greco V 900, 2 2006 Dean Inferno Flying Vs, 1987 Gibson Flying V, 2000s Jackson Dinky/Soloist, 1992 Gibson Les Paul Studio,

I make do with my Les Paul; I can still do volume-swells with my pinkie on one or the other of the volume-knobs. Though I would like a 5th knob, a Master Volume, located closer to the bridge and bridge-pickup, and a pan/balance-pot for both pickups, so that the knobs described a "W"... One of the volume-pots could instead be a blend/fader pot for a middle-pickup or a piezo-saddfle-pickup... :cool:

And on a Tele, I like the control-plate reversed with the volume-control put first, then the tone-knob, with the selector-switch towards the tail. Terrell can tell ya! :D:thu::cool:

:rawk:

Yeah certainly a better quick gain control setup.

Interesting thing about Tele bodies is that to install a super 5 way switch for coil taps etc, you have to make a little more room or cut it through to the back...

One of my buds from the early 60's is a working artist and decided to build a couple of Tele's for his two sons and gave them to them on their birthdays...one was fire engine red with a diamond plate pickguard for the fireman and the other was done up with computer art printed circuts etc., for the computer wizard...I suggested the reverse plate volume knob up front, as these are real players as well as a work of art. After checking out the suggestion, he decided to roll with it...the boyz haven't stopped bragging about them since, now he's building his own and it's a given...he loves it too :thu:
Take care, Larryz

Nice pic's Lokair...haven't seen those vintage locking tuners before? I have the same active EMG set up on an American Deluxe Strat and they sound great! I remember one of the guys (might have been the Bluesape?) posted pic's of his Strat with Gibson bridge and tailpiece parts, maybe he'll see yours and do it again...
Take care, Larryz

Thanks Larryz. The tuners are Greco brand from a Greco strat some one was parting out and they work great. I remember seeing pics of some one playing one with the TOM bridge. I went the extra mile and custom sanded the neck in the pocket area to give me that angle into the body like an old Paul or V. Total investment was the tuners 26$ got the guitar on trade(in pieces) for a pedal that I got for free, the pickups came in a Kramer super strat that had the original pickups in a baggie with it, Pick guard was free leftover scratch and dent at a local music store, and the stereo jack like 2$, so its all win win. I gotta say its gotten alot of playing around the house not plugged in time on it, very comfortable, nice acoustic sound and as soon as I rout in a battery pocket it will get plugged in for a true sound test.

Lok

1997 PRS CE24, 1981 Greco MSV 850, 1991 Greco V 900, 2 2006 Dean Inferno Flying Vs, 1987 Gibson Flying V, 2000s Jackson Dinky/Soloist, 1992 Gibson Les Paul Studio,

Lokair- what specific EMG model pickups do you have there in that Strat? ("Le Ampire LeStrat"? :D )

And, do you use the two Tone controls much?

Emg 85 , and two SA 's . As I am just finishing wiring it up tonight , I am not sure how much I use any controls so far . I may have just sold it to to guy who wants one built like this(only using an american standard ) and he said this would be great to take and show my other buddy who is a luthier so he can build one like it only nice and new like.

Lok

Mine is a little different with an 81 at the bridge and two single coil EMG-SLV's...the single coils use the same Alnico bar magents as the 81 and 85 humbuckers...the way you can tell the difference in the humbuckers is the EMG lettering is gold on the 85 and silver on the 81...my setup is named after Kirk Hammett as he liked a hotter humbucker 81 at the bridge (although I'm not a metal player, I get good some real good tele treble sounds at lowered volume levels)...mine has one master volume and one master tone control...the original version is named after Steve Lukather (Toto/Studio) since 1985. He helped EMG develop the single coils and they are named after him along with the single master tone knob...mine is like new with the battery located and routed flat with two springs under the spring plate cover...but it's not for sale. :thu:
Take care, Larryz

A lot of my favorite players use Strats; but I've never found one that I like. A friend says I just haven't played the right one yet. (For the record, I'm also a bass player who doesn't like the other "holy grail" - the P Bass)

The closest I've come is a Godin Session - really liked the feel and the tones on it. If I played guitar more than bass, I might consider picking one up.

"Am I enough of a freak to be worth paying to see?"- Separated Out (Marillion)

NEW band Old band

A lot of my favorite players use Strats; but I've never found one that I like.

Yep, I'm wit'cha.

That's part of the reason I started this thread.

Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: âNinety percent of everything is crapâ

My FLMS- Murphy's Music in Irving, Tx

http://murphysmusictx.com/

Emg 85 , and two SA 's . As I am just finishing wiring it up tonight , I am not sure how much I use any controls so far . I may have just sold it to to guy who wants one built like this(only using an american standard ) and he said this would be great to take and show my other buddy who is a luthier so he can build one like it only nice and new like.

OK, I can very confidently guarantee that you will LOVE the results if you also install an EMG SPC and an EMG EXG in place of the two Tone controls. It will be some of the absolute best money that you've ever spent for guitar gear! :cool: HIGHLY recommended. (David Gilmour also likes this set-up, so I must be on to something... ) The SPC and EXG can be used separately or together, and with both rolled back all the way, they're bypassed and the sound and feel will be as before.

You would also do very well to use two 9v batteries: if wired in parallel, the attack and overall tone and definition will be subtly improved, and useful battery life will be extended; while series wiring for 18v may also be an option for snappier attack with greater headroom, sustain, and output- double check with EMG about the 18v compatibility of your specific pickups, SPC, and EXG modules.

A lot of my favorite players use Strats; but I've never found one that I like. A friend says I just haven't played the right one yet. (For the record, I'm also a bass player who doesn't like the other "holy grail" - the P Bass)

Another bass player here, and another non-P bass lover- until I found "the right one". We're best friends now.

I had a non-typical Strat which I really liked, and which I traded for my Pbass, actually.

I will likely get another Strat someday, when I find one that's suitable.

Peace,

wraub

I'm a lot more like I am now than I was when I got here.

Larry that's one sweet looking axe. Love the no inlay look with the painted to match head stock,and the EMG black with that pick guard. Just makes a statement.

Lok

Thanks Lokair, don't forget to tell us how those EMG's sound when you fire that baby of yours up... :thu:

Yeah, and consider my recommendation of the SPC and EXG from EMG, too! I GUARANTEE that you'll love 'em with those pickups! (I've had the exact same set and those two EQ/boost modules- the SPC and EXG- worked AMAZINGLY with any and all pickup-combinations for clean or dirty tones.)

Archived