Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Strat vs "Strat"

Dannyalcatraz

Hey! I'm new, but I ran a little guitar shop for a few years (Godin and Fender dealer, too!) and have been playing a strat for many years, so I thought I'd throw in my $.02 (and decreasing)

For the money? Godin all the way. Even as a die hard Fender guy, I have to admit their Freeway series was phenomenal. Built like tanks and a pleasure to play. Outstanding material and great electronics. The only thing that kept me with Fender strats was brand loyalty. Pure and simple.

Last I checked, the Freeway series was hovering around 650-700, which is a bit more than the MiM standard series by Fender, but still less than say, classic 50s player series. While the MiM are great players, the only thing I take issue with are the electronics (SSS are noisier than what's put in the MiA, and the H in the SSH was decent, just not quite as punchy? At a loss for a good adjective, but that's nothing I can back up with data, either) and the craftsmanship on the MiM tended to be a little less detail-oriented. Fretwork not being as clean being a common issue.

As to G&L, I'm kind of at a loss as I have very limited experience with them. Other than a few design similarities for previously mentioned reasons, I only know a few used G&Ls that came my way, ergo nothing recent.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I had a Strat I bought back in 1969 which was stolen in 1973 - sounded great but had several neck problems....

I have a cheap Tele copy I mostly play late at night unamplified when my wife is asleep.

I actually wouldn't MIND having a good Strat or Tele, come to think of it. But my Alvarez acoustic, with a Di Marzio pickup through a Fender Princeton, treble all the way down, mids and bass all the way up, actually gives me a fine electric sound!

I haven't really tried Strat copies, but may do so once I get my bills caught up - a slow process, unfortunately.

As far as the sound of a Strat, I like it much more than Les Pauls (in most hands, anyway) - don't know why, question of taste. Yes, Hendrix and Eric Johnson's tones are pretty exquisite! Or Roy Buchanan or Albert Lee or Amos Garrett on Tele.....

Gibson makes good JAZZ guitars, though! Overpriced, of course, LOL.

Welcome aboard, whitelyd. This is a gang of screwballs; I'm sure glad I'M not... LOL

Welcome to the GPF, whitleyd84! :cool:

Hey! I'm new, but I ran a little guitar shop for a few years (Godin and Fender dealer, too!) and have been playing a strat for many years, so I thought I'd throw in my $.02 (and decreasing)

For the money? Godin all the way. Even as a die hard Fender guy, I have to admit their Freeway series was phenomenal. Built like tanks and a pleasure to play. Outstanding material and great electronics. The only thing that kept me with Fender strats was brand loyalty. Pure and simple.

Last I checked, the Freeway series was hovering around 650-700, which is a bit more than the MiM standard series by Fender, but still less than say, classic 50s player series. While the MiM are great players, the only thing I take issue with are the electronics (SSS are noisier than what's put in the MiA, and the H in the SSH was decent, just not quite as punchy? At a loss for a good adjective, but that's nothing I can back up with data, either) and the craftsmanship on the MiM tended to be a little less detail-oriented. Fretwork not being as clean being a common issue.

As to G&L, I'm kind of at a loss as I have very limited experience with them. Other than a few design similarities for previously mentioned reasons, I only know a few used G&Ls that came my way, ergo nothing recent.

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

I have a 96 american body with texas specials with a 96 neck although its not my main guitar i would never part with it.

It has the sweetest tone through my blues deluxe.Strats imo are the best guitar ever made....well the lp is a close second.

The story of life is quicker then the blink of an eye, the story of love is hello, goodbye.

Archived