Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Yamaha CP5 vs Roland RD-700NX

Jazz+

I have played the Roland RD-700NX but I have never played a Yamaha CP5 and wonder how you think it compares?

Harry Likas was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book." Find 700 of Harry’s piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and jazz piano tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The CP5 sounds amazing in stereo. In mono, it's pretty typically bad. The action may suit you Jazz+. Its a pretty light action, and though not graded, it interacts with the sound wonderfully. The wood in the keys may provide a nice bit of shock relief for your wrists compared to a typical plastic action. I have to admit, the non-graded action did start to bother me the more I played it, but for acoustic piano in particular, there's nothing close in the price range. The Rhodes and Wurlitzer are also excellent IMO. The RD's aren't in the same league for pianos or EPs.
A ROMpler is just a polyphonic turntable.

It's been just short of two months since I sold the CP5. I really do miss playing it on gigs and at home (and I've never felt that way about any keyboard I've sold), I don't miss the schlep though... ;)

Like I've posted before, the CP5 was the best instrument I've played for emulating acoustic piano. While still a huge compromise from the acoustic experience obviously, I was able to best express myself on that board more so then any other electronic keyboard I've ever played. In other words, I sucked less on that then anything else... :laugh:

HIGHLY looking forward to a new, lighter Yamaha update of the CP5.

https://soundcloud.com/dave-ferris

https://www.youtube.com/@daveferris2709

2005 NY Steinway D, Yamaha AvantGrand N3X, CP88, P515

I have just gone through a period of wanting to sell my CP50 ( Which I almost did to Dave F.) and my Kurzweil SP48, which were my gigging boards. I left my regular performing gig so I wanted something to record with at home. After about 2 1/2 weeks I decided to keep my CP50 (after my post for sale on the forum, sorry about that, should have done more homework guilty as charged). I originally went to GC and for a 2nd time, tried a RD700NX about 2 months ago and I was wowed by it after playing the Vpiano here at my home town Sam's Arse. Put the CP and SP4 up on the forum and then kept playing with the CP at home (not at gigs) and discovered that it recorded better than my FP4 which though not SN has the same characteristic piano sound as the SN gear (yeah I knoe the 700SN would kick it's booty, but). I still think the RD700NX is an awesome piece of gear. I went back to Sam Ash this week to try the 700NX again and now I just know I would have trouble with it in a live setting (but that's me). The PHA III action I believe is better than the CP5's which I played yesterday butI really enjoyed the CP5's action, it's very nice coming from the CP50 but I enjoy the 50's action once I get going....so that should make it all as clear as mud!

The body and tone of the Yamaha CP stuff I believe has a more full bodied sound and live it just holds up better in moderately loud mix for ensemble playing. Though I have not gigged with a SN piano to be fair. The sameness of the stretching on the CP's does bother me now to some degree after playing the RD's (and Pianoteq and my FP4 more) I will say...you have to try the RD yourself really! I'm looking a Pianoteq to record with at home, I really like it, have the trial ver.. . . Keeping the CP and SP4 for gigs/(controllers) if a good one(s) comes my way!

lb

CP-50, YC 73,  FP-80, PX5-S, NE-5d61, Kurzweil SP6, XK-3, CX-3, Hammond XK-3, Yamaha YUX Upright, '66 B3/Leslie 145/122

NX Piano 01 seems more muffled sounding than it predecessors the GX and SX.

Harry Likas was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book." Find 700 of Harry’s piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and jazz piano tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas

You can open up the CP5 and 50 quite a bit if you get into some of the programming which is pretty extensive. The default piano patches are a bit muffled out of the box.

CP-50, YC 73,  FP-80, PX5-S, NE-5d61, Kurzweil SP6, XK-3, CX-3, Hammond XK-3, Yamaha YUX Upright, '66 B3/Leslie 145/122

I was referring to the NX Piano 01 sounding muffled, not the CP5.

I found the piano sound of the NX to be a bit thin as beautiful as it is Jazz + ... I think for a home player it's more than fine and it responds well...but live and even recording wise I think a software piano like Ivory or Pianoteq or any of the others is the way to go... they really are wonderful for home use and recording after investigating what's avail with the CP's, NX's and the software pianos.

HIGHLY looking forward to a new, lighter Yamaha update of the CP5.

Me too, I hope they fix the user interface.

Actually, the user interface isn't so bad once you get used to it. It's a bit confusing *out of the box*, but in a few days you are quite familiar with navigation.

I've been enjoying my CP5 for 7 months now, and the only thing I don't like about it is the weight. Everything else is superb.

But man, it weighs a ton.

It weighs 2 tons when I'm going back home from a gig.

Custom handmade clocks: www.etsy.com/shop/ClockLight

That's good to hear that the NX sound is thin; should slot better in the mix, and probably is good in mono (though I've heard differently). But probably not a good solo board then. :-)

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

That's good to hear that the NX sound is thin; should slot better in the mix, and probably is good in mono (though I've heard differently). But probably not a good solo board then. :-)

"Possibly?" thin for use in a louder live mix, otherwise IMHO it's superb!

Archived