Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT: what's the deal w/Jimmy Webb's eyes

d  halfnote

I've only recently seen a photo of this classic modern writer & it's clear there's something amiss w/ his right eye but I haven't been able to find out what hapened to him.

It's not in his wikikipedia entry, for example.

..or anywhere else I've looked so far.

d=halfnote

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply
He fell off a transmission tower (:

I gotta admit I chuckled a bit at that one. Is that wrong?

Favorite Gear:Vintage Vibe 73 w/MIDI, Microkorg, ipad2 with lotsa apps, VB3, Rhodes 88, Roland VK8, Fantom XR, Brainspawn Forte

So wrong.... Jimmy Webb is truly one of the great American songwriters. In one of my Dallas bands we covered several JW songs, including "Wichita Lineman" and "MacArthur Park". Great stuff!

Other hits include "Up, Up and Away", "By the Time I Get to Phoenix", "Galveston", "Didn't We", and "The Worse That Could Happen". He is the only artist to have ever received Grammy Awards for music, lyrics, and orchestration!

Other than that, he is a Hack!

And check out his solo album "Ten Easy Pieces"...

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

Didn't know he'd written a book on songwriting. Googled it and in the Amazon reviews someone mentioned a Shelia Davis book - which brought me back to the magazine. There was a series of articles called something like "Songwriting Secrets." I remeber really enjoying them but not much else other than the author used a Bon Jovi tune to demonstrate internal and parallel rhyme.

Anyone remember who it was? I can see the photo - glasses, short hair and maybe a Chapman Stick. Think he listed "collecting unusual chord progressions" in his biog. Odd the things you remember - but not the name sadly.

Anyway - he name checked Sheila Davies but at the time I think it was a pamphlet she had out - or maybe notes from a course of hers he'd been on. I couldn't track it down.

Long O/T over - what was the guy called?

(Jimmy Webb fan here BTW)

I'm the piano player "off of" Borrowed Books.

So wrong....

I know, no disrespect intended at all. I love his music, and especially that song. I always envisioned Glen Campbell up working on the transmission tower, though I always try to keep in mind that it's Jimmy's song.

Favorite Gear:Vintage Vibe 73 w/MIDI, Microkorg, ipad2 with lotsa apps, VB3, Rhodes 88, Roland VK8, Fantom XR, Brainspawn Forte

Didn't know he'd written a book on songwriting. Googled it and in the Amazon reviews someone mentioned a Shelia Davis book - which brought me back to the magazine. There was a series of articles called something like "Songwriting Secrets." I remeber really enjoying them but not much else other than the author used a Bon Jovi tune to demonstrate internal and parallel rhyme.

Anyone remember who it was? I can see the photo - glasses, short hair and maybe a Chapman Stick. Think he listed "collecting unusual chord progressions" in his biog. Odd the things you remember - but not the name sadly.

Anyway - he name checked Sheila Davies but at the time I think it was a pamphlet she had out - or maybe notes from a course of hers he'd been on. I couldn't track it down.

Long O/T over - what was the guy called?

(Jimmy Webb fan here BTW)

Not sure exactly what you are asking here. I can't remember a songwriter/columnist who played the stick and I've read nearly every issue of KB since it came out. I might have just long forgotten.

AS for Sheila Davis, she definitely has at least one book. Her "Songwriter's Idea Book" is on my shelf, right next to JW's "Tunesmith".

JP

1935 Mason & Hamlin Model A

Korg Kronos 2 73

Nord Electro 6D 61

Yam S90ES

Rhodes Stage 73 (1972)

Great Bio of JW HERE.

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

@JP - found it. Andy Widders-Ellis. 1990.

Is the Sheila Davis book worth picking up?

I'm teaching numeracy now - kept a few piano students on but I think I'm finished teaching music classes. I ask because the Webb book interests me 'cause it's him - is the Davis book a good read or more of a "how to" thing?

I'm definitely getting the Webb one - kids are always asking for birthday present suggestions. That's perfect.

I'm the piano player "off of" Borrowed Books.

Archived