Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Hammond B-3mk2 action in a SK-1 ?

Jazz+

If Hammond wanted to, in theory, could they manufacture the SK-1 with the same key action feel that they have in their B-3mk2 ? Or are the physical requirements too different?

Harry Likas was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book." Find 700 of Harry’s piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and jazz piano tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Is there a big difference between the B3 Mk2 keys and those in the XK3C? IIRC they are both made by Hammond themselves, while the keybed in XK1 and SK1 is made by Italian company Fatar. So I guess both electronics, construction and internal dimensions of the different keybeds are quite different. I also think the XK3C keyboard is heavier and more expensive than the Fatar. If so this would make the SK1 less portable and more expensive and I don't think potential buyers would be interested in that.

Too much stuff, too little time, too few gigs, should spend more time practicing...!  🙄

main instruments: Nord Stage 3 compact, Yamaha CP88, Kurzweil PC4, Viscount KeyB Legend Live

The major difference is that the Mk2 triggers like a tonewheel. Press a key down slowly and you will hear each drawbar come in in turn. This is unique to the "new B3" series and is not even found on the XK3 or XK3C despite their Hammond made keybeds.

Aren't the pivot points different? I think I remember people saying that about various clones, but I may be guessing here.

The B-3mk2 costs a LOT more partially because of this keybed, which is one reason it isn't in any of these other (XK, SK) clones.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

The keys on the SK-1 also extends some way under the cover. Don't know how far, but you can feel it when playing with (some of) your fingers all the way up against the panel. It's a different feel compared to synths and older clones. Sometimes this is a useful thing.
Many of the best things in life are four-letter words, like Jazz, Saab. And Cats.

Anybody know the model number of the Sk-1's Fatar keybed?

Hammond SK1, Casio Privia PX5-S, SpaceStation V.3, Behringer B1200D, 2-EV ZxA1s

MacBook Air, Novation ReMOTE 37SL, Logic, Pianoteq 5 Stage, Scarbee Vintage Keys

The MIDI Gizmo Museum!

I never thought about the effect of extending under the cover. How does that effect an action?

Harry Likas was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book." Find 700 of Harry’s piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and jazz piano tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas

Do the B3 Mk2 keys action feel a lot different than a well regulated original B3 ? What is costly about a B3 action in terms of springs and bushings? Aren't those the components that give it action feel? Wouldn't it be easy to replicate in a clone?

Funny you should ask.

http://www.hotrodmotm.com/images/hammond/alive005.jpg

Real hammond keys extend about 3 inches behind and are not hinged, but have a short stiff leaf spring which fastens to a rail.

In my controller I replaced the heavy 9 contact key stacks with small leaf switches directly mounted on pcbs. It feels just like a B-3.

Moe

---

The pivot point is farther back so when pressed the whole key moves in a flatter motion. Also, it may be easier to press the keys down when your fingers are toward the back of the key since they are still farther from the pivot point. And furthermore, the velocity measurement (when pressing the keys near the back) may be more accurate when playing the EV's on the SK-1 or 2 since there is more key movement.

Archived