Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Thinking about going freelance....have questions

Blues Disciple

Hey all,

I am very happy in my Christian blues band, Have Mercy!, here in NC. The problem is that churches, coffeeshops and other sites don't offer any $$$ except for donations or love offerings. No money to be paid playing Christian music, especially Christian blues, at all.

So I am thinking of putting out my shingle as a hired Keyboard player---specializing in blues and classic rock organ work or even Praise and Worship keys too.. If not playing, I would also rent out my Hammond C3 and Leslie 122 for shows in need of a Hammond. I have close to 30 years experience, know a ton of blues, rock and Christian Praise and Worship songs and am confident about sitting in cold with a band and making it work.

Anyone have any suggestions on how to make this work?

Anyone have any idea of the money to be made or how much I should charge?

or

Does anyone know of any steady money-making bands or shows looking for a Hammond dude to sit in on a regular basis? (I would be open to tour work if it is profitable enough)

I am not looking to make a million bucks here or even make a living (although that has always been a dream of mine)...just looking to make enough to warrant playing for free with my regular band.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

BD

"With the help of God and true friends I've come to realize, I still have two strong legs and even wings to fly" Gregg Allman from "Ain't Wastin Time No More"

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Anyone have any suggestions on how to make this work?

Anyone have any idea of the money to be made or how much I should charge?

You need to get some business cards and start showing up at all the live gig venues in your area...pass out the cards and let the folks know what you have to offer and play at as many jams as you can...show 'em what you got. Personal contact always works best but don't overlook the social media and internet (Facebook,Craig's List, etc) as a tool to get the word out. Find out who, if anyone, in your area is renting out Hammonds/Leslies and price your rig accordingly. I might suggest that your price includes delivery and load-in/load-out services and a deposit if you can get it. If it were my rental rig I would want to know that it is being handled properly. And as I mentioned...get out on the streets and spread the word. You may be pleasantly surprised at the outcome.

The problem is that churches, coffeeshops and other sites don't offer any $$$ except for donations or love offerings.

That's what I've been experiencing for the last 3+ years.

What's worse is, I've seen several coffeehouses close down because of lack of funds, poor attendance, and not enough volunteers. So not only are my gigs low-paying, I'm having problems finding any now.

:(

When an eel hits your eye like a big pizza pie, that's a Moray.

Good kbd players that understand how to play in a worship setting (playing behind a meditation/prayer, understanding flow, etc.) are hard to find. Let every music director at every church in town know you're available to sub and you'll be busy.

Custom Music, Audio Post Production, Location Audio

www.gmma.biz

https://www.facebook.com/gmmamusic/

Business cards for sure ... Also if you can, get a website presence with audio and video samples of your playing, if possible. I dont much care for MySpace and even know some promoters who shy away from it entirely, but it is an easy way to have an online presence. You could looking into ReverbNation, and I'm sure there are other web platforms that are easy to create a space with your bio, some pics, and audio that is open to public view. Put the web address on your business card.

Go to jams, but try to figure out after 1 or 2 times which ones are worth your time. Quality of players and their reasons for being there vary widely from venue to venue, in my experience.

Word of mouth seems to have worked best for me. I felt isolated after the 2009 breakup of my band of seven years. I started from scratch with players I'd never worked with before when I formed my current "flagship" band (i occasionally play in other bands as well). I was surprised that some of those guys played with folks I had in the past, that my contacts were still good, and that I keep making new ones! I suppose that might sound weird to some of you guys, but I don't really know how to explain everything I went through with that other group and emotionally where it left me. But if word of mouth worked for me when I felt like I was starting from Square One, I figure maybe it will help you too. Even your bandmates might have a lead on opportunities for you if they know you are looking. Good luck!

Original Latin Jazz

CD Baby

"I am not certain how original my contribution to music is as I am obviously an amateur." Patti Smith

It couldn't hurt to get in touch with the go-to recording studios in your area and say something along the lines of "hey, if you need any keyboards on a track, here's my phone number." Give them a few good tracks from records you've played on that show your skill. If a client wants somebody for a studio session, often they'll have the engineer recommend someone. Get in good with the engineers, and it could snowball into some decent session work.

Other than that, +1 to everything said already. Networking is often more important than your actual chops. People hire who they know.

People hire who they know.

Absolutely. Get out there and play with as many different people and bands as you can, including sitting in at jam nights.

Assuming you're at the right standard, other musicians will notice you and take your number, and you'll start getting calls.

Looking for mercenary muso opportunities is great. But, your current band should be selling itself by sponsoring and promoting shows. :cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

Archived