Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Girls, vintage keyboards, tubular bells

mate stubb

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That was great--especially the amusing film clip at the end.

Lots of keyboards I'd never seen before including this one:

http://www.synthmuseum.com/rmi/rmikc201b.jpg

Punch cards... wow.

When an eel hits your eye like a big pizza pie, that's a Moray.

edit: twas Cygnus, whew!

A year less 4 days ago! Damn, I was close. ;)

Still cool to see the gear. Although, watching it again, some of them are playing in D, some in E, and at least one in C... so either everything is randomly transposed, or something's a little fishy. ;)

I remember when that RMI keyboard computer came out. I wanted one. I actually bought the demo LP (it was cheap). I even still have it! :laugh: Maybe that's worth a fortune on ebay; it should be in pristine condition because I played it only once or twice.

I enjoyed that video too. :D

Yeah, I lusted after that RMI when it came out too. I did buying another, much more minimal synth that also used a kind of punch card for preset recall, the EML Syn-Key. As for the RMI, the only artist I can remember who really used it was Todd Rundgren.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

In order...

Name something I like, something I've never owned, and something that goes on for a long time.

Ice Cream, Jupiter 8, Alice's Resturaunt.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

In order...

Name something I like, something I've never owned, and something that goes on for a long time.

Nice!

Steve (Stevie Ray)

"Do the chickens have large talons?"

As for the RMI, the only artist I can remember who really used it was Todd Rundgren.

I happened to be baby sitting some backline gear at a Utopia show one time and Roger Powell showed me around that RMI. It had these weird primitive stepped envelope generators, but at the time it was the height of digital coolness.

Moe

---

Loved the video a year ago, and still love it.

When I was selling Lowreys one of the store owners brought in his RMI Keyboard Computer to sell. He heard it expertly demoed and had to own it, only to discover that it was a bitch to get music from. I gave it a whirl and couldn't make it sound any different than any of the other digital organs on the floor.

Carlo Curley gave an organ recital in Philadelphia when the RMI came out. He was an endorser and performed on the demo album mentioned above. The RMI was set up near the altar, across the chancel from the organ. He played a few organ works, then went over to the RMI for a few tunes. I remember it sounding cool and organ-y in his hands, but he had obviously put in the time.

Carlo Curley gave an organ recital in Philadelphia when the RMI came out. He was an endorser and performed on the demo album mentioned above. The RMI was set up near the altar, across the chancel from the organ. He played a few organ works, then went over to the RMI for a few tunes. I remember it sounding cool and organ-y in his hands, but he had obviously put in the time.

Wasn't RMI a subsidiary of the Allen organ company, the makers of Curley's tour organ? Or it's just the old brain farting?

Jean Michel Jarre used (still uses on his Oxygen tour) a RMI Harmonic Synthesizer.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_rScBRKlTdoE/SjPS5KhX4MI/AAAAAAAAUVI/Pmaari8Q5DY/s400/!BUUGovw!Wk~$%28KGrHgoH-DUEjlLlzqhLBKM7KwbkIQ~~_3.JPG

Kawai MP7, Kurzweil PC361, DSI Pro2, Streichfett, Nektar P6, NI Maschine Studio, KMI QuNeo, Eventide H9, Zoom MS100BT, VoiceLive 3 Extreme, Arturia BeatStep Pro.

Wasn't RMI a subsidiary of the Allen organ company,

You are correct. From Wikipedia:

Rocky Mount Instruments or RMI was a subsidiary of the Allen Organ Company, established in about 1966. It was based in Rocky Mount, North Carolina. It is most famous for the RMI Electra Piano, a keyboard instrument that created piano and harpsichord-like sounds without the use of strings, tines, or reeds, instead using transistors, much like the combo organs of

the day.

In order...

Extra credit... Used in a sentence:

I'd enjoy some ice cream while playing a Jupiter-8 at Alice's Restaurant.

edit: twas Cygnus, whew!

Still cool to see the gear. Although, watching it again, some of them are playing in D, some in E, and at least one in C... so either everything is randomly transposed, or something's a little fishy. ;)

I think the song is just modulating keys. Sounds that way, too, if you'd close your eyes long enough to listen (which, all things considered, is unlikely :) )

• 6 years later...
Actually, this was posted here (might have been by you?) a year or less ago. :)

Pretty cool video. :thu:

Sven, I can't figure out whether you have the best memory in the world, or the best database. Whichever, you have far too much time on your hands. :)

Occasionally, do something nice for a total stranger. They'll wonder what the hell is going on!

Actually, this was posted here (might have been by you?) a year or less ago. :)

Pretty cool video. :thu:

Sven, I can't figure out whether you have the best memory in the world, or the best database. Whichever, you have far too much time on your hands. :)

Definitely not the best memory, but these things take me almost no time at all to find... which is probably why I'm amazed others have any difficulty finding things online. I sometimes forget my Google-Fu strength. ;)

Archived