Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

LCD screens live - information overkill...?

Ashville.Guru

When we think of softsynths, 2 things come to mind:

1. amazing sounds, easily installable and
  2. Nice, fancy, colorful GUIs, with animations telling us what is happening with our various parameters, inputs, sound output, etc. Some of this graphical pizzazz is shared by the host/DAW

And that's in contrast to a typical hardware module, which doesn't rely on an excess of visual information; a Motif rack doesn't have a cute animation of an expression pedal going up and down as you play - unlike the typical softsynth. Doesn't make the Motif rack any less usable on stage. It still responds the best way - musically speaking - to the pedal. Such modules have been used successfully for decades, by scores of keyboardists.

Now I'm very well aware that it's just not feasible to put that much visual information on a 1U/2U rack unit. Or maybe it is; but that's not the point of this thread.

The point is, whether the stage musician needs that much visual info, and is more visual pizzazz actually a good thing for the live keyboardist.

The studio utility of the GUIs is obvious and unquestionable - they're tools to help sculpt that ideal sound we're looking for.

Think of it this way. Playing acoustic / electromechanical instruments doesn't rely upon visual information. Yes, drawbar positions inform the organ player what the sound is like, but drawbars are also controls in themselves, so that doesn't really count.

With electronic keyboards with complex patches, you do need some visual feedback to tell you what sound will come out when you hit the keys. With an LCD screen, you can have a lot of info on your keyboard.

While programming your board (or your VST host), the bigger the screen and more info is always better. While playing, however, once you've setup your patches with descriptive names, what other info is necessary?

I find that searching for info on a screen counterproductive to making music. It dilutes the emotional connect with the musical instrument, melody and harmony; reminding me of algorithms, emulation and technology. On occasion, I've found myself being distracted by TMI on screen (I know, just avoid looking at the damn screen, but...).

Has anybody had similar experiences, of too much visual info not being a good thing?

I recently came across this video, showing how the VAX77 integrates with Forte:

[video:youtube]

I was struck by how simple and yet complete the visual feedback is: all that is displayed, are patch names. If you've done your homework, set up your patches right, the names are all you need to know at any point of time, on stage.

I'm thinking of going this minimalistic route, with only patch names on screen. My question: what other information would you need from a screen, on stage? Is the 'patch-names only' approach sensible?

Thoughts and opinions welcome!

P.S. This is an offshoot of the VAX77-Mac Mini thread, the context being whether it's more useful to use an iPad in lieu of the built-in screen of the VAX.

This is really what MIDI was originally about encouraging cooperation between companies that make the world a more creative place." - Dave Smith

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I prefer the non-gui approach as shown above. I keep my iPad handy just in case I need to tweak or troubleshoot the Receptor, but I generally do not - unless I have extra time on my hands and just want to try something different. While playing, I don't even have it set up.

One thing I do miss on the VAX screen. In the earlier versions of the OS, there was a line across the bottom of the screen indicating what the volume knob was set at.It was nice to know how much headroom there was. THis is gone.

Moog The One, VV 64 EP, Wurlies 200A 140 7300, Forte 7, Mojo 61, OB-6, Prophet 6, Polaris, Hammond A100, Farfisa VIP, ,Young Chang 6', Voyager, E7 Clav, Midiboard, Linnstrument, Seaboard

My patches are named for the song, and any other helpful hint.

When I had my A90 as the controller, a typical entry would look like this:

Dogs A/C/B/a.

What that would tell me is that the whole song is in this patch, and that while 3 zones might already be lit (likely Internal A and External d), eventually I will turn off Internal Zone A and replace with Int(ernal) C, and then turn that off and engage Int B. (Upper case letters referred to the Internal Zones A-D, and lower case letters referred to External Zones a-d; I used my A90 as a controller only, so all 8 zones were actually external.)

Now that I use my Nord Stage2 as the controller, a typical patch will look like this:

User

Breakeven Brepeat

The Stage uses a 2 line screen, so that title tells me that User=midi involved. Breakeven is the song title, and Brepeat tells me that after the intial intro, switch to Panel B, where on the left hand I will have my Receptor programmed for a long swell/crescendo, and the uppermost octave on the right hand will have a CP80 sound with a timed delay.

So, I try to leave myself a clue in the title of either whats being triggered, or what event I need to make happen. This is mostly when Im involved in a new project or working up a new repertoire of music Im not familiar with.

I never have a screen set up for my Receptor. The more distractions you have, the less playing youll do.

Hitting "Play" does NOT constitute live performance. -Me.

One thing I do miss on the VAX screen. In the earlier versions of the OS, there was a line across the bottom of the screen indicating what the volume knob was set at.It was nice to know how much headroom there was. THis is gone.

Hmmm. I can see why not having that would be a pain. Though this is perhaps a VAX-specific thing; with most boards having a slider that can be assigned to volume, this may not be such an advantage. Wonder why the VAX omitted sliders...? :confused:

This is really what MIDI was originally about encouraging cooperation between companies that make the world a more creative place." - Dave Smith

I agree. However, when using a software Hammond emulation, I like to see the drawbars (especially since they often don't match how the drawbars are actually set, a problem avoided by Nord Drawbuttons).

Also, I'd like a master level meter, so I can be sure the level is where I want it to be. I'd like it even if there's an analog gain stage following the digital outputs and the meters only show the digital level. But I'd prefer a master level indicating the actual levels at my output jacks.

I agree. However, when using a software Hammond emulation, I like to see the drawbars (especially since they often don't match how the drawbars are actually set, a problem avoided by Nord Drawbuttons).

As also the LED touch-sliders on the new Akai Max 49:

[video:youtube]

Awesome concept. Just like a real drawbar, the controller itself gives a perfect visual indication of current state. It would be nice if there's a bi-directional communication with the softsynth and the controller, so as to reflect the current state not on the controller, but in the softsynth...

Also, I'd like a master level meter, so I can be sure the level is where I want it to be. I'd like it even if there's an analog gain stage following the digital outputs and the meters only show the digital level. But I'd prefer a master level indicating the actual levels at my output jacks.

One of the things I love about my Desktop Konnekt 6 :)

http://www.360kbl.com/uploadfiles/1254412266.jpg

Yes, you can set it to display digital or post-gain. Can't have too much volume info on stage...!

...The more distractions you have, the less playing youll do.

Couldn't have put it better. It's nice to see that I'm not alone in thinking so...

I usually have my laptop positioned where I can see it, but it's rare that I have to look at it. I actually have my host only taking up half the screen. The other half is an open folder to all my charts in pdf format. Every once in a blue moon, the singer will call a song we haven't done in a hundred years, so I like to be ready.

Custom Music, Audio Post Production, Location Audio

www.gmma.biz

https://www.facebook.com/gmmamusic/

Compelely agree with the OP. On my new laptop rig, the lid is always closed. The point is to forget I'm using a computer.

I don't need it on stage. In case something goes wrong, I'll hear it. And then just switch to the internal sounds of my controller, with a twist of a knob (both laptop and a board go into a tiny tapco mixer. Just mute the computer and turn up the board. Actually, I think I'll upgrade to an A/B switch instead. Much simpler.

Stage: MOX6, V-machine, and Roland AX7

Rolls PM351 for IEMs.

Home/recording: Roland FP4, a few guitars

I kept my laptop open, but only so I could see drawbars, so if I wanted to I could glance to see their settings when switching to organ from something else. If they weren't what I wanted, I could play a low key to get a preset, or use a drawbar.

I prefer functional information to swoopy hardware-looking graphics, but evidently I'm in the minority on that. Software makers seem to sell more if they sacrifice utility to making stuff "look cool". Pfffft!

One of the things I like about Forte: there's a high-contrast, fullscreen, 'Scene View'.Just the names of the patches, with current patch and next patch highlighted:

http://www.brainspawn.com/profiles/press/marillionforte/image3_1252.png

bloodyMary, I'd love to gig with the lid closed, and for piano-only gigs, I would. When I have a lot of patches, something like the pic above would be very useful. I'm thinking of mounting a small 7" screen on the controller, and closing the lid - best of both worlds. Or maybe I should get a Vax77... :).

Given the strong consensus we're seeing on this thread so far, it appears Brainspawn is taking serious inputs from the live pros :cool:. BTW, I just found out they have a proposed 'Scene View 2' in the upcoming Forte 3. Sweet!

Would be nice if you could customize it to display a few parameter values - would solve Jeff's drawbar requirement.

Jeff, do you switch between a lot of presets for your drawbars? If not, a workaround would be to align hardware sliders to match the default setting - as you tweak the sliders during performance, their position would then be an accurate representation.

My Yammie (acting as a controller) has an unfortunate pass through requirement for the continuous pedal (CC4). It can send a 127 CC, just because I didn't fully move the pedal up to 127 and then back down to zero.

Mainstage helps me by providing two big dials for two of my CCs (CC2 and CC4). I can watch them while I play, if I am concerned that one of them has not been reset properly when changing a patch. I use the breath controller dial (CC2) to recalibrate my usable breath control range from time to time, since the sensitivity can change if you graze the physical controls on the BC3.

Archived