Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Davy Jones R.I.P.

steadyb

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One of Manchester's own..... heard him being interviewed on radio a few times,

& he appeared to be a very down-to-earth fella with a good sense of humour.

R.I.P.

John.

some stuff on myspace

Nord: StageEX-88, Electro2-73, Hammond: XK-1, Yamaha: XS7

Korg: M3-73 EXpanded, M50-88, X50, Roland: Juno D, Kurzweil: K2000vp.

Damn I really liked the Monkees.

Some neat keyboard work on this one.

[video:youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GarMj0D0wpQ

[video:youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AD7sPb8BT14

[video:youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-r57a8vNvkQ

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

It is reported it was a heart attack. Time marches on.

Harry Likas was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book." Find 700 of Harry’s piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and jazz piano tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas

Here you go:

Dissatisfied with his stage name as Davy (and Davie) Jones, which in the mid-1960s invited confusion with Davy Jones of The Monkees, Bowie re-named himself after the 19th century American frontiersman Jim Bowie and the knife he had popularised. (Source)

Best,

Geoff

My Blue Someday appears on Apple Music | Spotify | YouTube | Amazon

Here you go:

Dissatisfied with his stage name as Davy (and Davie) Jones, which in the mid-1960s invited confusion with Davy Jones of The Monkees, Bowie re-named himself after the 19th century American frontiersman Jim Bowie and the knife he had popularised. (Source)

Best,

Geoff

SteadyB was probably being facetious. But just in case, from your own link, please check the first line:

David Bowie born David Robert Jones on 8 January 1947) is an English musician, actor, record producer and arranger.

David Bowie

Hitting "Play" does NOT constitute live performance. -Me.

Me and a friend of mine were big fans of the Monkees when we were kids. So much so that we had this album and were super excited to see these guys live -

http://npknet.com/images/Jackvynil/1011albums055.jpg

Now that I think about it, this may have been my first "rock" concert.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

I use to watch and listen to the Monkees during the 2 years they had a TV show. It was zanny and the songs were good pop songs for the era.

David Jones had a house in the sticks of Central PA (Beavertown, PA) not too far from where I live, and maintained a house in Florida too, for when its too cold up north. I had heard that years ago but I never drove to Beavertown, to see where he lived. I was never a celebrity chaser.

I'm sad to hear the news. I understand he was in great physical shape, not overweight, and a vegetarian.

RIP Davy Jones,

Mike T.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

Wow. Still a young man. Very sad.

Always liked the Monkees. I still think Davy's singing on "Daydream Believer" is one of the all-time great pop vocals.

That vocal is indeed a classic, and surely one of the greatest in pop music.

Loved listening to the Monkees, growing up. Have played many of their songs, in various bands, over the years. "Last Train To Clarksville", and "Pleasant Valley Sunday" are my favorites; have had a lot of fun playing those live.

R.I.P. Davy Jones....

'Someday, we'll look back on these days and laugh; likely a maniacal laugh from our padded cells, but a laugh nonetheless' - Mr. Boffo.

We need a barfing cat emoticon!

Archived